Panthera leo persica

Posted by apana on Sun May 30, 2004 9:57 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
This is the rare Asiatic Lion(ess), P.l. persica. There are about 320-odd remaining in the Gir forest of Gujarat in Western India, and bureaucratic bumbling has prevented the establishment of alternative populations. So a single epidemic could wipe out these fine animals. Though often spoken of as the lion of the Bible, that was probably the extinct Barbary lion.

Differences between the African lion seen here are the prominent belly fringe and the larger tuft at the end of the tail. Males have a smaller mane.

The Asiatic lion is rather docile, but I confess this was the second time whilst photographing wildlife that I have been frightened. Two lionesses emerged in front of our vehicle and began to cross the road. They turned towards us and started to come really close. I was shooting like a man possessed and then suddenly realised that this lioness was interested in me. Had I been a bus-load of raucous schoolchildren, I'm sure she would have walked away. I did not have the lens hood on the 70-200 and perhaps she could see some sort of glint on the lens and was intrigued. I retain the EOS 5 because it is quiet, but she must have been intrigued by the motor drive as well. As she got closer, I put down the camera and looked away, but my guide and driver assured me that I had nothing to fear and I continued shooting.

This was taken at hardly 15 feet away, with EBX 100 pushed to 200 and the lens open at 2.8. She then settled on this rise, practically on top of me, and I was able to shoot to my heart's content. The light, however, was awful.

Comments and critques welcome. Thanks for looking.

Apana

Posted by:
apana
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 31, 2004 1:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Beautiful animal and pose but he photo has a big time magenta shift!

by Dennis Olivero on Mon May 31, 2004 5:43 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
EJ covered my only concern. Wonderful experience. I always enjoy the biological information that you provide and the circumstances of the photo making.. Thanks for being apart of this forum..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by NDCheryl on Mon May 31, 2004 8:15 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Nice pose and thanks for the wonderful information you always share about your pictures. Correcting the magenta shift would improve the image.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by DC on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:55 am
DC
Regional Moderator
What an experience that must have been :shock:
Excellent shot. I like the whole diagonal pose and the look toward you.
Fix the magenta cast and it's a top notch photo. Congrats.
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

by Carol Clarke on Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:41 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Wonderful catch AB! We have only seen these in a zoo over in UK, and I'm, fairly certain my Avatar is an Asiatic Lioness. Most zoos only have the African ones.

As already mentioned, with a correction for the colour cast this would be a sweet shot! What an experience! We have been very close to an African Lioness in the bush and that was breathtaking!! :shock: 8) 8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

6 posts |