Posted by:
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor

by Dennis Olivero on Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:20 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Dick
Thanks for posting in FFM. I am sorry to hear that you did not get the opportunities you were hoping for. Thats a bummer..

I had a chance on bears in AK about two years ago. I found exposure tricky in the sun, and you nailed it here, without burning up the ear tips. Your image is very sharp and I like seeing bears in the water.

I am not sure exactly about the comp, the space at the top especially. Maybe this is for text.. It just left me wondering how it would look in horizontal with the bear looking across the frame..

Again, perfect exposure and very sharp. Thanks for posting..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by walkinman on Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:38 pm
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Dick

Is this from Brooks? The bear looks very familiar to me. if so, it also explains the angle .. a little less steep would be nice, but that's hard at Brooks. Simiarily, Dennis' coments sum up my feelings here .. perfect exposure, but I think a horizontal image would have worked better here. His head just feels cramped to me.

Cheers

Carl

by NDCheryl on Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:44 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Hi Dick,

Welcome to NSN and the FFM forum. Sorry you did not get what you wanted at Brooks. I did not even get there due to bad weather when we were there.

I too would like to see more room to the right of the bears head with a horizontal format, but you really nailed the exposure-not an easy thing to do with a wet bear in the sun! The eye is clearly visible, a frequent problem when photographing bears and the detail in the face is very good.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Looks like you did pretty well given the conditions on this one. i might crop a bit off the top but a very nice shot!

by DC on Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:22 am
DC
Regional Moderator
Nice and sharp and great detail. I'd agree with others on a horizontal, but otherwise a good shot.
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

by Dick Ginkowski on Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:17 am
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor
This was shot under some difficult conditions at Brooks Camp. The pickings were very slim at the end of August. Nonetheless the park sdtaff was overly restrictive.

Since horizontal was not possible, I think the shot works a bit better as a square unless used for editorial purposes where the there is room for text at the top.

by Jim Zipp on Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:08 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Dick Ginkowski wrote:The pickings were very slim at the end of August. Nonetheless the park sdtaff was overly restrictive.
I can surely agree with you about the restrictive staff. I haven't been there in years and from what I hear it has only gotten worse. I once watched a young ranger blow her whistle and demand that a fly fisherman come to her side of the river from the other side when a bear came walking down the bank. Trouble was it was over his head and he waded in and over his waders and dog paddled to her side. Lucky there was no disaster. There are now many "day trippers" coming there that crowd the area and really have no business there. I actually watched a New York City woman wet herself while we waited for a bear to move off the trail!!!!!!!!!!

It sure isn't any kind of wilderness experience anymore but I still love the bears though.... no way around that :D
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by Phil Shaw on Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:11 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
Hi Dick,

Nice to see you posting here. Nice shot; I like my subjects large in the frame, which you have certainly achieved here; good eye detail also, which is often difficult with these bears. For printing, I think I would crop this to a square format, but this is only my preference.

I'm thinking about visiting Brooks next year and I'd be interested in your comments about the Park Staff if you would care to elaborate.

Best wishes
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by Bob Ettinger on Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:40 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Dick,

Sorry you were disappointed but this is a cool image. A little off the top as EJ suggested.
Bob Ettinger

by Juli Wilcox on Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:00 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
This is a tidy look at one wet bear!! Very nicely exposed and very sharp.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

11 posts |