fbpixel

Moderators: E.J. Peiker, Greg Downing

All times are UTC - 5 hours

  
« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Jim Zipp on Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:46 am
User avatar
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Posts: 4957
Joined: 21 Aug 2003
Location: CT
Member #:00150
I've been using a 16TB Seagate Enterprise drive for about a year.  It died a couple weeks ago. It had been flawless until then and amazingly it's really the first hard drive failure I've had in years.  It's under warranty but I won't trust a replacement they send so purchased another of the exact same drive.  It does not sound right and I have had to scan the drive for errors and it works but no warm fuzzy feeling here.

Open to suggestions for a rock solid 12-16 TB or so drive.  Cost always matters but for a main drive like how I use this I'm not skimping.  Thanks ahead for suggestions.   Jim
 

by Mark L on Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:37 am
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Posts: 100
Joined: 01 Feb 2020
I would suggest either Western Digital Black (fast) or the HGST (now Western Digital) drives.  They have been rock solid in my experience, but every manufacturer produces "bad" drives; nothing is 100%. 
 

by Andrew_5488 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:42 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Posts: 384
Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Location: NY
Jim Zipp wrote:
I've been using a 16TB Seagate Enterprise drive for about a year.  It died a couple weeks ago. It had been flawless until then and amazingly it's really the first hard drive failure I've had in years.  It's under warranty but I won't trust a replacement they send so purchased another of the exact same drive.  It does not sound right and I have had to scan the drive for errors and it works but no warm fuzzy feeling here.

Open to suggestions for a rock solid 12-16 TB or so drive.  Cost always matters but for a main drive like how I use this I'm not skimping.  Thanks ahead for suggestions.   Jim


Check link below and their other reports.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q3-2021/
 

by photoman4343 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:13 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1905
Joined: 01 Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
I may need to get some replacement drives for my internal HDD drives as they are getting too full. They are 16 TB Seagate. Installed 2019. Both have performed very well.
SEAGATE 16TB IRONWOLF NAS HDD S/N: ZL20314D

Here is a large 18TB HDD drive I use as an external drive in a HDD enclosure case. I have had it for about one year with no problems.

WD Gold 18TB Enterprise Class Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 512MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD181KRYZ
Joe Smith
 

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:29 pm
User avatar
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Posts: 86037
Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Member #:00002
If it's under warranty I'd just have them send you another one. In the electronics industry there are constant improvements made to the manufacturing process. Just because the one you bought failed in a year doesn't mean that the replacement won't last 10 or more years...
 

by Jim Zipp on Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:37 am
User avatar
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Posts: 4957
Joined: 21 Aug 2003
Location: CT
Member #:00150
Andrew_5488 wrote:
Jim Zipp wrote:
I've been using a 16TB Seagate Enterprise drive for about a year.  It died a couple weeks ago. It had been flawless until then and amazingly it's really the first hard drive failure I've had in years.  It's under warranty but I won't trust a replacement they send so purchased another of the exact same drive.  It does not sound right and I have had to scan the drive for errors and it works but no warm fuzzy feeling here.

Open to suggestions for a rock solid 12-16 TB or so drive.  Cost always matters but for a main drive like how I use this I'm not skimping.  Thanks ahead for suggestions.   Jim


Check link below and their other reports.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q3-2021/


That's a great real world Chart!  Makes me want to pick up one of the HGST 12TB.  (Only drive they have which has zero failures)


Last edited by Jim Zipp on Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
 

by Jim Zipp on Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:40 am
User avatar
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Posts: 4957
Joined: 21 Aug 2003
Location: CT
Member #:00150
E.J. Peiker wrote:
If it's under warranty I'd just have them send you another one.  In the electronics industry there are constant improvements made to the manufacturing process.  Just because the one you bought failed in a year doesn't mean that the replacement won't last 10 or more years...


E.J.  Yes, it is under warranty and has been sent back for replacement which I plan to use as yet another backup.  Just figured I'd get the most solid I can.  Was disappointed that I got errors on the new one I ordered but has been fine since doing an error scan and repair.  Just makes me nervous!  Makes me feel good that I have multiple backups.
 

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:26 am
User avatar
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Posts: 86037
Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Member #:00002
One thing I would be careful with on those Backblaze stats is that Seagate tends to be the first to market at new storage capacity nodes and failure rates always tend to be higher on new tech and then manufacturing improvements as well as engineering improvements are made on existing product lines.
 

by Jim Zipp on Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:29 pm
User avatar
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Posts: 4957
Joined: 21 Aug 2003
Location: CT
Member #:00150
E.J. Peiker wrote:
One thing I would be careful with on those Backblaze stats is that Seagate tends to be the first to market at new storage capacity nodes and failure rates always tend to be higher on new tech and then manufacturing improvements as well as engineering improvements are made on existing product lines.


More good info. Thanks E.J.
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:  
9 posts | 
  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group