Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:40 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I have finally bitten the bullet and have chosen to retire my CS6 in favor of Adobe subscription model.  I use Capture One as my RAW convertor, but I also want to learn at least the basics of Lightroom.  I downloaded both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic, but I plan on learning only one.  

For Lightroom users, which version do you prefer, and if it's not too much trouble, why do you prefer that version over the other?

Many thanks in advance.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Mark L on Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:22 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
I suggest that you use Lightroom Classic.  With Classic your images are on your machine/system so that you have complete control of the files.  You can still synch with the cloud to share images with folks but you don't need to rely on the cloud for your actual images.

If you use the cloud version of Lightoom your images will have to be stored in the Adobe Cloud; that both adds a cost if you have many images and/or your images are large files.  In addition it constrains your use to times/places when you have a good internet connection.  Last Fall I participated in a workshop in Yosemite where 1 individual was using Lightroom.  She could never work with her images because the poor internet connection prevented her from loading them up to the cloud.

Just my preference.  The cloud does give you some features that can be desirable depending on your needs and workflow.

Good luck

by Bill Chambers on Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:37 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Excellent, thanks Mark. I definitely want everything stored on my machine.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Ed Cordes on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:20 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Classic is just like the old stand alone LR but with all the updates. You will love the new features.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Bill Chambers on Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:24 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:Classic is just like the old stand alone LR but with all the updates.  You will love the new features.
Hi Ed.  Actually, all the features will be new to me as I've never used Lightroom before, except when it first came out many years ago.  Back then, I decided I really didn't like it so I switched to Capture One, version 3.  I still use it, except it's now version 21.  That's not as long as it sounds because they skipped a bunch of versions after 12 or so and started with 20.  Strange, but I do love Capture one.  That said, I still want to learn Lightroom just for the general knowledge.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by signgrap on Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:56 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Bill, C1 made the change from v12 to v20 because they decided they want the year as the version number instead of using an arbitrary number with no meaning.
Dick Ludwig

by Bill Chambers on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:01 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:Bill, C1 made the change from v12 to v20 because they decided they want the year as the version number instead of using an arbitrary number with no meaning.
Thanks Dick, I wasn't aware of the reason.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

7 posts |