All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Alan Melle on Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:28 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
The fan controller in my Fractal Design Define R4 PC case has apparently died, as both fans stopped working at the same time. There are 4 internal HDs installed in every other drive bay, which allows about 2 inches of clearance between drives. Removing both side panels allows the computer to continue operating with the hottest drive running at 35 degrees C. Is this a safe temperature to continue using the PC for extended periods of time or should I limit usage to short periods and only when necessary?

Fractal Design is shipping a new fan controller to me today I shouldn’t have to run without the fans more than a couple more days.
TIA
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by signgrap on Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:55 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
With the sides off your computer you could place a small external fan to blow into the computer which would keep everything cool till you get your new fan controller.
Dick Ludwig

by bradmangas on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:19 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
35 centigrade is not excessive heat. But you may not really know when temps spike due to processing demands. Heat is the number one enemy of anything electronic. I wouldn't push your luck to far. I would recommend making the needed repairs as soon as possible.

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:10 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I use the free version of Speccy https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy to track internal temperatures. The temperature will go from green to red when things are getting too hot.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Well since those are the same drives in tight external housing enclosures and they usually last a couple of years, it's probably OK for a couple of days.

by Alan Melle on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:36 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone I did dig up a small fan and that helped keep the hottest drive below 32 degrees C. I use HD Tune Pro to keep track of the temperatures. I also have been turning the PC off when not in use. Fractal Design was late shipping the new fan controller but it should be here today. Thanks again.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

6 posts |