Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/11/14/dxo-releases-updated-nik-collection-dxo-2018-v1-1/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:00 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I can't find anything on the site about how to update from the original DXO Nik suite that they released last summer.  I login to the DXO site, it tells me my software is up to date even though it isn't the new 1.1 version and when i navigate to the page on 1.1, it wants me to pay again.

I have submited a support ticket.

by Phil Shaw on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 am
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
According to a post on Dpreview, the new version (1.1) is still not useable on a 4k monitor.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:29 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I've had absolutely no problem using it on a 4K monitor but I don't use the panel - I go direct to the adjustment I want from the Photoshop Filters pull down.  I find that panel annoying and disable it.  On my system, it is only the panel that is too small to use with a 4K monitor.  I do use an external manifest for font scaling though so that may be why it works for me.

As an excample, here is what Viveza looks like on a 4K monitor here:

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:37 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
As for updating from DXO Nik 1.0 to DXO Nik 1.1, the way to do it is to launch into any of the Nik filters from within Photoshop and it then guides you through the update process.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:54 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Even the tool panel is normal size here as it launched after the update.  Again, it may be because i am using an external manifest for Photoshop scaling to make CS6 work on a 4K monitor.

by goldingd on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:30 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:As for updating from DXO Nik 1.0 to DXO Nik 1.1, the way to do it is to launch into any of the Nik filters from within Photoshop and it then guides you through the update process.

Tried that, no joy. Was that one of the old ways to update when it was still at Google?

When it was actually NIK, they updated automatically.

If you visit the DxO page (the one for buying the software) a link to Buy now  (  https://shop.dxo.com/us/photo-software/ ... collection  ) a hyperlink on Technical Details exist, clicking on that and scrolling down yields:

Practical information
You can activate your Nik Collection by DxO software on up to 3 computers.
Your purchase gives you free access to all future minor releases, as well as preferential rates on major upgrades (i.e., change of version). Sign in to your customer account to access all available updates.

As the OP stated, doing this yields that my software is up to date. Now if I go ahead and download the installer (the Windows one) I do get a new installer, but just apparently a bug fix, not 2018.

NOTE: visited Dxo web site yesterday, Today's revisit the site looks different, including my account info. Looks like web pages are under modification, perhaps they have not got their act together yet on the upgrade link

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I was referring to a product licensed through Nik - my posts are not meant to address updating from the Google or original Nik versions.  I was referring to people that bought the Nik collection from DXO and now want to get the update.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:39 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Note that the Nik filters now work with Affinity Photo - no more black and white screen when launching them.  However the font scaling issue does occur.  i still find it useable even on a laptop 4K screen but some portions of the interface are tiny.  But if you know what you are doing with the Nik stuff, you shouldn't have too much problem in Affinity photo.  The rendering of color images as black and white in filters like Viveza was one of the few remaining hurdles that i had with using Affinity Photo for a bigger chunk of my workload.

by Phil Shaw on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:52 am
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
Response from DxO support about UI scaling:

[font="Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Lucida Sans", Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif]Nov 16, 10:08 PM CET [/font]
Greetings,

Thank you for your interest in the Nik Collection 2018 by DxO.

We are aware of the font issue on 4K monitors, this was an issue that arose with the previous version of the Nik Collection. Our developers are aware that this is an important fix for our customers, and are working on the compatibility with 4K monitors. We do not know when this will be completed, but please know that this is an issue we are aware of.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by Ed Cordes on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:48 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
RE updating - When I launched a module NIK (DXO paid version) advised me to update. I agreed and it went smoothly.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I spoke too soon, on Intel Integrated graphics, all of the Nik filters work properly inside Affinity Photo but using an nVidia card Viveza does not!

12 posts |