« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 47 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Thought this would be of concern to many.  Basically unless you are running the latest OS, Adobe doesn't want your business as future CC updates will exclude even some versions of Windows 10...
https://www.dpreview.com/news/680393711 ... oud-update

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:36 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Thought this would be of concern to many.  Basically unless you are running the latest OS, Adobe doesn't want your business as future CC updates will exclude even some versions of Windows 10...
https://www.dpreview.com/news/680393711 ... oud-update
WOW that's a real kick in the teeth for their customers!!!
Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by MND on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:45 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
I’m still using CS6 when I need it. Eventually Apple will make an update the kills that stone dead so I have Affinity in reserve.

by Jeff Pearl on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:35 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
According to that story, it looks like Windows 7 will continue to be supported?

by bradmangas on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:39 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I guess one could say they don't want your business, but I drive an older car and the manufacturer and the original dealer doesn't support it either. Well, unless I pay them a hefty price to work on it. In this day and age running an old version of an OS, 2 years or more without updates, probably isn't the wisest thing anyway. I'm not sure how robust and feature filled Photoshop could be and continue to become if it had to work with old versions of an OS.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
bradmangas wrote:I guess one could say they don't want your business, but I drive an older car and the manufacturer and the original dealer doesn't support it either. Well, unless I pay them a hefty price to work on it. In this day and age running an old version of an OS, 2 years or more without updates, probably isn't the wisest thing anyway. I'm not sure how robust and feature filled Photoshop could be and continue to become if it had to work with old versions of an OS.
All of the OS's I listed are still getting regular updates.  Even my Office 2007 is still getting regular updates from Microsoft and Win 7 get them weekly.  And as I wrote even some versions of Win 10 Home and Professional are not going to be supported - that's the current OS, just not the latest update.

by neverspook on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:36 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
So does that mean if I buy a new camera and have Windows 7, that I won't be able to process the RAW files in PS CC for that new camera? 

I don't care about all the fancy features, but I just recently subscribed so I could process RAW files from a new camera not supported by CS6 in ACR without having to learn a new program. I prepared for a year subscription and will be very pissed off if I then can't use the program to access RAW files if I get a newer camera.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by Wade Thorson on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:21 am
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
I was waiting for this corporate fascist throw away culture to get to me.  Don't buy a new camera, so you don't have to update Camera Raw, then won't have to buy a new Mac, hardware they haven't updated since El Capitan anyway.   Maybe I'll go back to film. It was cheaper.
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

Last edited by Wade Thorson on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:29 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
neverspook wrote:So does that mean if I buy a new camera and have Windows 7, that I won't be able to process the RAW files in PS CC for that new camera? 

I don't care about all the fancy features, but I just recently subscribed so I could process RAW files from a new camera not supported by CS6 in ACR without having to learn a new program. I prepared for a year subscription and will be very pissed off if I then can't use the program to access RAW files if I get a newer camera.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com
That is correct unless you convert to DNG first.  
Of course you could just not update the version of Bridge/ACR/Photoshop you are using now until the day comes where you buy a camera that is only supported by a version of ACR that only runs on the latest OS variant.

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:19 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Seems like an even greater reason to look into some other processing software. I usually buy a computer and use the operating system it came with until I buy the next computer, typically skipping an operating system in between. Right now I'm running windows 7 (fully updated) and will move to windows 10 this fall with the purchase of a new computer.

The way I read the announcement, it is unclear to me whether Photoshop will run on windows 7 or just the creative cloud desktop

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:26 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Wow, this seems to be crazier than I would have even expected from a corrupt company like Adobe! Here in Canada the CC subscription is $15 a month. So this means we could still be paying them $15 a month for no support and no updates. So what happens if I decide to stop paying Adobe for the monthly subscription? How would Adobe make the current version on my Win 7 machine unusable? Would it be possible to cancel the subscription, but keep using the current/older version? Guess it's time to revisit Affinity Photo! I was so close to going the Affinity route a year ago, but reluctantly gave in to Adobe and went the subscription route. I would think this will result in many cancelled subscriptions for Adobe?

by neverspook on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:24 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
neverspook wrote:So does that mean if I buy a new camera and have Windows 7, that I won't be able to process the RAW files in PS CC for that new camera? 

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com
Of course you could just not update the version of Bridge/ACR/Photoshop you are using now until the day comes where you buy a camera that is only supported by a version of ACR that only runs on the latest OS variant.
DNG conversion is a pain in the butt and takes a long time. 
Am i correct in assuming that as long as i can get updates i should get them and that will allow me to use the cameras i have now and possibly future ones depending on when support from Adobe actually stops?
If that is the case I am OK at least for now. But it sucks to know that you never know what sort of other crap Adobe will pull in future. LIke others here have sais, I don!t change up whole OS unless I get a new computer and I get very capable machines so I don!t have to buy new computers often to reduce e-waste and cost.

Roberta Olenick
Www.neverspook.com

by Mike in O on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:29 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
bradmangas wrote:I guess one could say they don't want your business, but I drive an older car and the manufacturer and the original dealer doesn't support it either. Well, unless I pay them a hefty price to work on it. In this day and age running an old version of an OS, 2 years or more without updates, probably isn't the wisest thing anyway. I'm not sure how robust and feature filled Photoshop could be and continue to become if it had to work with old versions of an OS.
All of the OS's I listed are still getting regular updates.  Even my Office 2007 is still getting regular updates from Microsoft and Win 7 get them weekly.  And as I wrote even some versions of Win 10 Home and Professional are not going to be supported - that's the current OS, just not the latest update.
i still run office 7...here is some important info i discovered by accident when running my disk in a new computer.  Microsoft gave me office 13 automatically along with office 7.  It has some important security updates in 13.  By the way, I just checked my version of 10 and it is 1803 (it was 8.1 conversion, so very old)...it looks like if you run updates, you will be fine.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
neverspook wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com
Am i correct in assuming that as long as i can get updates i should get them and that will allow me to use the cameras i have now and possibly future ones depending on when support from Adobe actually stops?
If that is the case I am OK at least for now. But it sucks to know that you never know what sort of other crap Adobe will pull in future. LIke others here have sais, I don!t change up whole OS unless I get a new computer and I get very capable machines so I don!t have to buy new computers often to reduce e-waste and cost.

Roberta Olenick
Www.neverspook.com

by neverspook on Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:22 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
neverspook wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

Roberta Olenick
Www.neverspook.com
 Am not seeing a new response here, EJ.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Whoa, that happened to Tony yesterday - I typed out a long response too!

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:38 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Lets try this again, responding to "Am I correct in assuming that as long as i can get updates i should get them and that will allow me to use the cameras i have now and possibly future ones depending on when support from Adobe actually stops?"

Yes, keep getting the updates until Adobe issues the next major update CC2019 or whatever they call it, the one that breaks CC on anything but the current operating systems. At that point you will be able to convert your existing cameras as long as that version continues to run on your computer which should be a couple of years. There could be a time where Adobe won't authenticate an old version anymore and then it just stops working. Of course, even though you aren't getting the new versions, you will ahve to continue to pay the subscription fee or the program will stop authenticating and will become non-functional.

Once all of that happens or you get new camera that is on;y supported by the newest version you will have to either 1. Get a new computer or upgrade your computer to the latest OS (something you could do now and not worry about any of this!), 2. convert to DNG - yes it's a pain, 3. Go with a different RAW converter that doesn't follow this stupid subscription process. Converting to DNG won't do you much good,, by the way, if Adobe has disabled your version of Photoshop due to dropping authentication of the older version.

by neverspook on Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Thanks for all the useful info, EJ. I guess if worse came to worst, I would have to upgrade my OS but that is annoying. Almost as annoying as converting tens of thousands of images per year to DNG.

Since I also have CS6, there should not be a problem using DNG files ever, is that correct? At least not due to authentication issues... I suppose at some point some future OS might not support CS6.

Makes me nostalgic for film days...

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
neverspook wrote: Since I also have CS6, there should not be a problem using DNG files ever, is that correct? 
Correct!

by neverspook on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:18 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
neverspook wrote: Since I also have CS6, there should not be a problem using DNG files ever, is that correct? 
Correct!
Thanks!

47 posts |