« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by laura hughes on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:19 pm
laura hughes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00626
Hello all. I'm trying to figure out a work-around for my situation. I haven't done a good job keeping up with equipment upgrades and now behind the 8 ball. I need to upgrade my Canon 40D camera body and plan to get either the 7D II or 1 DX still deciding. 

Here's the problem, I will have to upgrade my Photoshop edition from CS4 to CC which also means upgrading my operating system from Vista to Windows 10 so that means a new camera, Photoshop edition and computer all at once. I was hoping to not have to eat the elephant in a single bite.

So here is my question: Can I shoot with the 7D II or 1DX and then put the CF card in the 40D body and downloaded it to my computer and open it in Photoshop (Adobe Bridge) or is the system way to smart to let me get around it?

I only shoot in RAW and don't really want to use the Adobe DNG Converter, I'm spoiled with the seamless Bridge-to-Photoshop integration. I will probably use Lightroom in the future which is part of the CC package.

Anyway, I don't want to delay my gratification as far as purchasing a camera but I don't know if I am up to wrangling with all the file transfers, email set-up, loading all my programs again, etc. which I will have to endure with Windows 10. Do I have options?

I'm getting brain damage, feedback really appreciated!!!

by signgrap on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:58 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I'm afraid that your workaround won't work. Putting the CF card into a 40 D won't change the files that the 7D II or 1DX have created. The files from either of these new cameras will require the latest version of PS/Bridge. There is no way to circumvent this. 
It appears that you like Bridge/PS for your RAW conversion software so if you want this combination you will have to upgrade everything at once. After a quick search for other alternatives it appears that no matter what you do camera wise you will need to upgrade the computer OS to Win 10.
Dick Ludwig

by laura hughes on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 pm
laura hughes
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:I'm afraid that your workaround won't work. Putting the CF card into a 40 D won't change the files that the 7D II or 1DX have created. The files from either of these new cameras will require the latest version of PS/Bridge. There is no way to circumvent this. 
It appears that you like Bridge/PS for your RAW conversion software so if you want this combination you will have to upgrade everything at once. After a quick search for other alternatives it appears that no matter what you do camera wise you will need to upgrade the computer OS to Win 10.

Thanks Dick, I feared this would be the case. Guess I have to bite the bullet then. Many thanks for your reply

by Mike in O on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:11 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Just get Lightroom (same as photoshop ACR) as a stand alone.

by laura hughes on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:41 am
laura hughes
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Just get Lightroom (same as photoshop ACR) as a stand alone.

I'd have to get a really old version of Lightroom to use with Vista, and not sure it the old version or LR would be compatible with the new cameras. It's probably not worth going backward to the future.

by signgrap on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:02 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Laura, one thing the new camera will do is give you much larger files than the 40D had. A new computer will most certainly be faster which will be a big aid when processing the larger files. So there will be more than one benefit you'll get from a new computer.
Dick Ludwig

by Mike in O on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:15 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
One thing that I had to do was update my video card for the huge files coming out of the 99II and 4k. My old 1 gig card worked but the new card is great.

by adamsti on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:12 pm
adamsti
Forum Contributor
I am still using Windows 7 on my main editing computer with CC. You don't need Win 10.
http://www.timadamsphotography.com

by laura hughes on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:55 am
laura hughes
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:Laura, one thing the new camera will do is give you much larger files than the 40D had. A new computer will most certainly be faster which will be a big aid when processing the larger files. So there will be more than one benefit you'll get from a new computer.

yes you're right, and I am justifying it in other ways too (-:

9 posts |