All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:54 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Hope this is the correct forum.

Cannot see how to change the background color of this collage. Everything I have tried does not work.  I missing one little move.  Can someone give me the quick trick ?  :)

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I don't see a collage so I don't know what "this collage" is but typically when making a collage it is easiest to start with a canvas of whatever color you want the background to be and then add the pictures.  I would just start with a New document and then use the paint bucket to color the whole thing, then add the photos for the collage.  Or alternately you can select the color first, hit Ctrl X to make it a background color, then open a new document and where it says Background Contents select Background Color.

If you've already done the collage and flattened it and want to do it after the fact, you will need to select all of the areas that need to have their color changed with whatever method makes selecting those areas easiest and then paint it in or you could just make the background and foreground swatch the same and do a gradient over the selection.  I'm sure there are a dozen other ways to do this...

If you haven't flattened, it's simply a matter of selecting the background layer and painting it whatever color you want using whatever method to paint it that you want.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:30 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J.

You are the best!

This is going to be a gift and I think I am running behind.

I put together a group of loon images tonight on a white background.

Now, I'm almost finished arranging photos and approaching the time when I want to change the background color.

I thought I had already tried that last option you wrote....."If you haven't flattened, it's simply a matter of selecting the background layer and painting it whatever color you want using whatever method to paint it that you want"........but I must have missed something in the process.

Is this done with the eyedropper tool...... I think ? Can't see the last step to execute the filling. IOW, I have picked the color, selected the background layer, but i do not see how to apply the color.

Will try it again.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:34 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Paint brush tool...with a huge circle.  right?

It is filling in the background spaces so I guess it is ok.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:40 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
I've now changed the color a couple of times.  I don't know about all these layers of paint so soon. 

You think it might peel.   :cry: :P

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:40 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Thanks again E.J.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Many ways to paint, whatever works for you. If you still have a blank background layer, I'd just select it and use the paint bucket.

by Mark Picard on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:28 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Hope this is the correct forum.

Cannot see how to change the background color of this collage. Everything I have tried does not work.  I missing one little move.  Can someone give me the quick trick ?  :)
This is a great forum that displays tons of knowledge and expertise, but there's another source for finding answers to most all of our PS questions (and all others too) and that is by doing a Google search asking your particular question. Most times your questions will be answered utilizing a YouTube video (or present your question while in YouTube), making it all that easier to comprehend. Yeah, many times there are several different answers, but by the same token, many times there are several different ways to solve the problem. I like watching the YouTube videos because you can either pause or backtrack to better absorb the answers at your own pace. Give it a try next time Robert.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:23 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Yuhyes!..... I use them much, and also like them.   

And I like Julieanne Kost's videos too.

Now, I am trying to keep this one a secret:  Did you know that if you subscribe to CC you can call Adobe support and actually talk to a living tech on any weekday, who will cordially help with a technical issue?  

Pretty cool.

But I still can't find an answer to my concern that the paint might peel.  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:36 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Yuhyes!..... I use them much, and also like them.   In fact, right now I googled  "PS CC where is the actual print size" ...... and there it is.........how to estimate the finish print size in this collage.  

And I like Julieanne Kost's videos too.

Now, I am trying to keep this one a secret Mark:  Did you know that if you subscribe to CC you can call Adobe support and actually talk to a living tech on any weekday, who will cordially help with a technical issue?  

Pretty cool.

But I still can't find an answer to my concern that painting multiple layers in quick succession runs the risk of it peeling later on.  

10 posts |