Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by bradmangas on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:03 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I have just begun using Macrium free edition to clone my C: drive. After the clone process ran and seemed to complete Ok I viewed the log and found what looks to be some issues. 

Clicking on log opens the Windows Event Viewer and the following is described:

(There are two occurrences of this, one at the beginning of the clone process and one at the end.)

Date   8/20/2016 12:47:19 AM  
Type   Error 
Event 513  
Source Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.

(There are two occurrences of this with the \\?Volume xxxx being the only difference.)

Date   8/19/2016 11:00:24 PM  
Type   Warning 
Event 12348  
Source VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{f914b0c2-0000-0000-0000-90c4e8000000}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly.  Check security on the volume, and try the operation again. 

Operation:
   Removing auto-release shadow copies
   Loading provider

Context:
   Execution Context: System Provider

I went to the properties of my C: drive under the security tab and see there are no checks in the "Allow" column for "Authenticated Users or Administrator. If this is the issue it is easily changed. Thought I would ask if anyone has experience with this and if it is an issue with preforming a clone of the C: drive.

Thanks for any help.

by Jeff Zanin on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:28 pm
Jeff Zanin
Lifetime Member
Member #:01201
I have been using Macrium for backups and cloning for a while (Windows XP, 7 and 10) and have not seen these or similar messages recently.

With some program you may need to "Run as administrator" by right-clicking on the program and selecting this from the context menu - even when you are logged on as an administrator the default seems to be to run as a non-administrator and this can cause the type of issue you are experiencing.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think it would be best to contact Macrium on solving these.

by ronzie on Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:38 pm
ronzie
Forum Contributor
I run Macrium building a Win PE boot CD to load it and avoid any file lock conflicts. I also run with the Forensic option enabled so I get a duplicate raw copy ofg the HD.

by bradmangas on Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:07 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the advice everyone.

5 posts |