Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by bradmangas on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:50 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I will be spending a week in Colorado beginning July 8th. Planning on heading to the Crested Butte area, Gunnison National Forest, and Grand Mesa National Forest areas. I am somewhat familiar with the areas around Crested Butte. The two main areas being the road that takes you through Gothic (317) and up towards Schofield Pass. This is a road I ventured up last year late June but found it was still closed due to snow around where trail 401 is so never made it further. 
I also on two other occasions have headed west out of Crested Butte on road 12 that goes over Kebble Pass. So I will explore these two areas for sure. 

The plan is to camp for the week (tent camping) and would prefer not to be in populated campgrounds, I know there are many around that area such as south of Crested Butte. So dispersed campsites further into the wilderness and mountain areas would be what I am looking for. I am also wondering if I need to obtain current forestry maps and if they would be helpful for things such as dispersed campsites. Also any lesser known (or lesser traveled) areas for hiking. I know my hiking distances will be limited once I am at the elevations so I probably won't be doing any multi-mile hikes. 

Any info, thoughts, or ideas appreciated. 

by photoman4343 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:53 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
The best place to get good info for Crested Butte and Mt Crested Butte in July is to see the Program Guide for the Crested Butte Wildflower festival . See link below. It lists every possible thing anyone might want to do in this area (at almost any time of the year.)

Besides Gothic Road, another road to take is Washington Gultch Road that is to the west of Gothic. On a map it is Co 811. . There is a great 4WD road off of it near its end and off to the right. It might be Co 734 but I am not sure. Many of the 4WD wildflower tours use it as a way to get to the top of the mountains. I have taken it a few times (always with a local driver) and it is well worth it.

Fire Warnings may still be in place to camping may be restricted. Make sure you call the Chamber of Commerce to get the latest info.

Some of the roads off of Co 12 might be good. In July I have not had a lot of success of finding wildflowers here. In the Fall it is better.

https://www.crestedbuttewildflowerfestival.com/

https://www.crestedbuttewildflowerfesti ... ram-guide/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt+Cr ... 06.9624239

Good luck and report back as it has been about five years since I have been to this part of Colorado.
Joe Smith

by photoman4343 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:57 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
The area reached off of Washington Gultch Road is Paradise Divide. Try and get to it in the morning or late afternoon.
Joe Smith

by bradmangas on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:07 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Very good info, Thanks Joe.

4 posts |