« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:10 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Would ya'll be kind enough to recommend places in the Sportsman's Paradise State...to photograph wildlife close up ?

Thank you.  

Robert

by calvin1calvin on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:52 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
What type of wildlife and what part of the state are you interested in seeing and photographing? I did a Spring bird workshop with Charles Bush, you can check his website for some locations. He is based in Houma, La. The Spring workshop went to Lake Martin for migratory birds and the cypress landscapes, Jefferson Island, which is a man made island that is on a commercial plant farm where the owner allows photographers access free of charge, to photograph Egrets, Spoonbills, Herons, gators, cattle egrets, bitterns, etc., Miller Lake, which needs boat access, is nice for a sunrise and nesting birds in Spring. Last but not least is a boat trip in the Achafalaya river basin for Osprey on nests. Most of these locations I mention are outside of Lafayette, La and a guide with a boat is necessary. I am certain there are other places where guides and boats are not needed. Outside of New Orleans there are old plantations which make nice photos. Check with the Louisiana department of tourism for additional help. The ducks and geese fly over La. on their migration south in late Nov/early Dec. Hope this helps.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:27 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Thank you for your input. Those names will help for sure.

After I posted I realized that the flooding has surely changed the conditions dramatically. So, I guess it will be potluck for a while. But the waters are receding and I will eventually check into the areas you mentioned. Thank you.

by enriquetastates on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:52 am
enriquetastates
Forum Contributor
Avery Island is the beautiful location for wildlife photography located 40 miles west of New Orleans and 25 miles south of Lafayette, Louisiana.

4 posts |