« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 28 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:26 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
After many years away from natural-light, tripod-mounted macros, I have a notion to re-establish a technique and shoot some early spring, emerging, native plants that will be in sharp focus from front to rear; i.e. using STACKING.   

These would be trilliums, lady slippers, jack-in-the-pulpits and such.  The challenge is that so much happens in the spring and I can't be in the hardwoods when I'm out there on the pond shooting loons.... and then spring is over before I know it.  

This winter, using PSCC (File, Script, Load Files Into Stack) I have been enjoying perfect results during indoor practice on various still-lifes:

BUT, this has been only with JPEGs.

RAW or JPEG?
1.   When you shoot images to be stacked, do you shoot in RAW and then convert to JPEGs before stacking the JPEGs?  If so, would you describe a simple workflow you use ?   Or do you all shoot only JPEGs for your stacks ?

FOCUSING RAIL
2.   Do you consider a focusing rail to be necessary for your outdoor stacks ?  If so, would you please briefly explain why you feel the rail to be necessary ?  The reason I ask is that during my inside practice, I've found that by setting up so my lens' closest focus is at the front of the still-life, I've been able to cover the entire depth of the still-life with the lens' native range of focus.   So I am asking myself, why would I need a focusing rail ?  Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks ahead

by signgrap on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:12 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I shoot RAW and convert to 16 bit TIFF's. This give you the best color and subtle detail.
I use a focusing rail as I find it much easier to get consistent results which gives me stacks that are evenly spaced between frames, which I find very hard to do when you adjust focus to stack. The software I use is Zerene Stacker. Easy to use with great results.
Dick Ludwig

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:59 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:I shoot RAW and convert to 16 bit TIFF's. This give you the best color and subtle detail.

I am learning Dick, so be patient :)

So I guess I will just go ahead and post process them in whatever I want (correct?), probably PS and output 16-bit TIFF's.  I am ok with this, as I am a purist too.  It is tough for us guys you know.

I use a focusing rail as I find it much easier to get consistent results which gives me stacks that are evenly spaced between frames, which I find very hard to do when you adjust focus to stack.

This above phrase I underlined is an interesting observation you've made.   Do you have a rail brand/model you recommend?  

The software I use is Zerene Stacker. Easy to use with great results.

I do not know about Zerene.  I know everybody is high on it, and I do like the interaction I have had with the guy who created it.....good attitude he has.  But my results have sometimes looked like they were a bad VR experience, you know..... maybe blurry or something like multiple exposures.  Seems that maybe they do not mesh or align perfectly.  But I allow that this was probably due to my poor technique to that point.   So, when I started to rent PS (a little over $10 a month), I switched to the stacking mechanism in PS and the results were like hitting a grand slam...for me anyway :)....albeit via JPEGs.  

Does Zerene offer its use in two computers?  I have it in my old defunct Windows PC and not in this Macbook pro.  Guess I should contact him to see if I can have a copy downloaded to this machine.

Thank you Dick :)

by signgrap on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:29 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
You can't beat RRS focusing rail but it is pricey. RRS makes a number of different models with a range of prices. I use an Adorama focusing rail that I got many years ago in the 80's. Less than $80 then but I think they still might sell something similar but made by a different company now.

To get good results I find a good tripod and a focusing rail are a must to get good results when focus stacking. Focus stacking is like working with a large format camera, you take your time and carefully plan you composition and lighting as you want the end product to be worth the time you spend taking the image.

Zerene does allow use on multiple computer - a very different company from Adobe. I believe that PS's latest stacking program works reasonable well but I have never used it personally so I can't verify this from personal experience.
Dick Ludwig

by Mark Picard on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:12 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
I haven't used a rail - I just focus (using the live view mode) on what I want in focus in the FG, then take a series of shots by changing the lens focus heading away from the camera until I reach the last area I want in focus. I don't think it matters if all the shots are evenly spaced or not. You can take as many as you want. I've only used PS so far, not a specialized program. I don't do enough of this type of photography to warrant getting a special program. I shoot wide open to control the DOF I need. Here's one I did where the BG was so close I had to stack in order to keep the flowers separated from the BG. Otherwise lots of the distracting BG would ruin the shot due to a wide
depth of field that you'd get from F11-32, for example. This was at F4 and I took about 8 shots if I remember correctly. These were taken up here in Maine where we have lots of White Ladyslippers. There are 13 in this bunch, my personal record for the number in one clump! 
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:35 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:You can't beat RRS focusing rail but it is pricey. RRS makes a number of different models with a range of prices. I use an Adorama focusing rail that I got many years ago in the 80's. Less than $80 then but I think they still might sell something similar but made by a different company now.

To get good results I find a good tripod and a focusing rail are a must to get good results when focus stacking. Focus stacking is like working with a large format camera, you take your time and carefully plan you composition and lighting as you want the end product to be worth the time you spend taking the image.

Yes, I plan on taking a lot of time on each end product.  Now I need to follow through with a couple of images this spring/summer.

Zerene does allow use on multiple computer - a very different company from Adobe. I believe that PS's latest stacking program works reasonable well but I have never used it personally so I can't verify this from personal experience.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:47 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Mark Picard wrote:I haven't used a rail - I just focus (using the live view mode) on what I want in focus in the FG, then take a series of shots by changing the lens focus heading away from the camera until I reach the last area I want in focus. I don't think it matters if all the shots are evenly spaced or not. You can take as many as you want. I've only used PS so far, not a specialized program. I don't do enough of this type of photography to warrant getting a special program. I shoot wide open to control the DOF I need. Here's one I did where the BG was so close I had to stack in order to keep the flowers separated from the BG. Otherwise lots of the distracting BG would ruin the shot due to a wide
depth of field that you'd get from F11-32, for example. This was at F4 and I took about 8 shots if I remember correctly. These were taken up here in Maine where we have lots of White Ladyslippers. There are 13 in this bunch, my personal record for the number in one clump! 
I can see where it is best to keep with a more open aperture than closed because of what you say here.  This is pretty much the stacking technique I have used to date, assuming you are on a tripod (which I guess you would have to be).  

I have found a few whites down here Mark in many years past.  Mostly pinks.  Have not seen a yellow in the woods yet.  

Went to a MDIFW-sponsored black bear forum last night at the Hyatt in Portland.  Met Judy Comuso (Chief of Wildlife Division) and mentioned you as the top moose photographer around.  I also asked her about the moose tick.  She is leaning to what you are saying....global warming being the cause.  It is a different species, which I did not know and sure you did know.  they are taking public comments but I called Mark Laddie and asked him to send me the address, so do not have it here for you.

I proposed the Department present to the public a card idea that would be the same as a hunting/fishing combo license and would give non-consumptive users the same clout that SAM has.  I am fed up to the gills with SAM having the only voice in the direction of MDIFW.   I for one...will pay $27 every year to have as much say as SAM does.  It should not be that way but it is Mark.  That is my opinion.  The card would be named a Maine Wildlife _____ .....you fill in the last word. Yes, I do think that a lot of people would go for it.  I will bet that as many Mainers would buy such a card, IF THE DEPARTMENT PROMOTED IT, as there are SAM members.  

You probably still have a lot of snow up there.  We have none here.  The first small groups of RW blackbirds and grackles went through last week.   More this week but not many so far.  This better not be a trend but I think otherwise.

by kiwijohn on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:11 pm
kiwijohn
Forum Contributor
"FOCUSING RAIL
Quote from your letter: "2. Do you consider a focusing rail to be necessary for your outdoor stacks ? If so, would you please briefly explain why you feel the rail to be necessary ? The reason I ask is that during my inside practice, I've found that by setting up so my lens' closest focus is at the front of the still-life, I've been able to cover the entire depth of the still-life with the lens' native range of focus."

I can see a snag here... I always move the lens/camera combo (D800 plus 60mm Micro Nikkor f2.8) all together on a focus rail to achieve shots at different focus points along the axis of movement.
If you use the lenses own helical thread to do this (ie, change the focus of the lens), I find that the SIZE of the image changes slightly (is this focus "breathing"?) making it hard to recombine the images into one final image due to the slight differences in size of the images.
I guess different lenses suffer from this to different degrees.
John Sibley

by mikeojohnson on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:52 pm
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
I use a focusing rail from Kirkphoto.com and find it to be very helpful.
mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by Mark Picard on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:55 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
"I can see a snag here... I always move the lens/camera combo (D800 plus 60mm Micro Nikkor f2.8) all together on a focus rail to achieve shots at different focus points along the axis of movement.
If you use the lenses own helical thread to do this (ie, change the focus of the lens), I find that the SIZE of the image changes slightly (is this focus "breathing"?) making it hard to recombine the images into one final image due to the slight differences in size of the images.
I guess different lenses suffer from this to different degrees."
John Sibley

I realize that this is true to a certain degree, but I thought that the stacking program was intuitive and only selected the in focus parts of the image and combined them and "dumped" the rest of the pixels? Perhaps I'm wrong on that. Maybe this is better answered by E.J.?  The shot I used as an example was taken by just re-focusing the lens and not using a rail. Yup. it was on a tripod from a stationary spot. Nikon 200mm macro lens @ F4, manual focus. I don't see any soft focus problems in this image and it appears very sharp to my eye. I have printed it 8"x12".
Wouldn't you have to be perfectly perpendicular (dead straight on) to use a focusing rail? If you were a little higher, lower, or to one side or the other  to the subject wouldn't that change the image slightly every time you slid the rail causing additional problems to the focusing? Wouldn't you also change the image size every time you moved the focusing rail in and out?
Mark Picard

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:14 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
FWIW

Did some digging around and found Michael Erlewine's very long stacking, video series.  In this one he discusses focusing rails.  

It is very surprising to me that Mr. Erlewine recommends fousing rails as the least desirable choice behind the bellows (first choice) and then simply focusing the lens (2nd choice).  He starts with the related comments at about 10:15 into this video.  I believe I may have been able to set the link to start just before Mr. Erlewine's comment that is related to what Mark is saying.   So far, this is the best I can find.  So I guess if you have a long enough travel on the focusing ring of the lens you are using......using only the lens' own internal focusing (helicoid?)  ........ is a technique quite acceptable to Mr. Erlewine, and there can be no argument that this guy does a lot of stacking :D .  You may have to wait to click the "Skip Ad" button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzVD95-9YOU

Also, regarding which format to use (Dick's discussion with me above) I did shoot a series in RAW for a proposed stacking.  Loaded these 30 images into PS and everything went smoothly (loading and alignment), up until the program said it could not continue because I had a storage problem, which I do.  So I am back to finally correcting my storage issue which has been ongoing.  

But I now believe I can shoot RAW's, load them into PS and the stacking process will go smoothly to output one high quality composite image.  

by Mark Picard on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:32 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
I can 't see any reason that you would have to take 30 images to achieve your desired stack Robert. I personally have never gone above a dozen. Just think if you were shooting at, say, F4 and got a half inch of DOF and you needed to cover 6 inches to achieve sharp focus on your subject/subjects, you would need to take 12 images. I also stack them in RAW format, as I never shoot jpegs in camera. Of course, all that is dependent on the megs of your particular camera as to how long the process takes in the computer, along with the processing power of your computer. 

And on a side note - every lens, including macros, can focus out to infinity,, so you never run out of focus distance away from the lens (unless you're using extension tubes) using just the lens with no rail or bellows. Therefore you can't run out of the correct focus location in relationship to the camera/lens using just the stationary lens location.  
Mark Picard

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:38 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Mark Picard wrote:I can 't see any reason that you would have to take 30 images to achieve your desired stack Robert. I personally have never gone above a dozen. Just think if you were shooting at, say, F4 and got a half inch of DOF and you needed to cover 6 inches to achieve sharp focus on your subject/subjects, you would need to take 12 images. I also stack them in RAW format, as I never shoot jpegs in camera. Of course, all that is dependent on the megs of your particular camera as to how long the process takes in the computer, along with the processing power of your computer. 

And on a side note - every lens, including macros, can focus out to infinity,, so you never run out of focus distance away from the lens (unless you're using extension tubes) using just the lens with no rail or bellows. Therefore you can't run out of the correct focus location in relationship to the camera/lens using just the stationary lens location.  
Mark, I know I did not have to take 30 images.... you are right.   During the shooting, I did realize I was taking far more than I would need.  But I could not clearly see the DOF with each focus point in the viewfinder......any suggestions besides getting a pair of glasses?   :D

And so my rationale was that if my machine can compute it (16 gb ram), why not take more than less; i.e. to be certain I got all I needed ?  It worked, and it worked very smoothly with 24 mpx RAW files....until it stopped with the message that there was not enough temporary storage  (I think that was the message).

And I believe the process of stacking will work all the way through in PS; i.e. stacking might work in PS as good as it works in Zerene.  And if it works in PS it might work in Affinity.

It forced me to correct a problem I have had for a long time..... this morning, I finally ordered from OWC the storage I have needed for quite some time.  So by mid-week I will be able to get a load off this internal HD and try it again, just to get the process down.   Thanks, and you are right, so I have to find a way to determine how to accurately "spread out" my "manual focusings" during the shooting.

How do you do it?  What do you suggest?  

I know I am learning and I know I like this stacking.  I always loved macro.  I was doing it 40 years ago and do not know why I stopped.  I think it is as Dick says.... each image takes time.  So I see it is no place for anxiety.   

by Mark Picard on Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:45 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Robert - I use a highly scientific procedure (NOT!) :) :) ) Starting at the closest in focus subject spot you choose, just turn the focus a bit outwards each frame until you end up reaching the last spot you want to be in focus as the last shot. Live view will show you those increments quite well (blown up large on the camera's monitor screen during exposures. If you don't like live view, use your green conformation light and move your focus point around to your subjects spots that you want sharp. If it's a single flower you would need a bit less number of frames compared to say a bunch of 10 flowers. If you're real close to, say, an caterpillar at an angle, and you're shooting at a 1:1 ratio you will need several more images stacked than that single flower requires as an example. Thankfully, your monitor or your live view will show you all this beforehand. The live view method would come in handy if you were using extension tubes too. I find that every single subject will have it's own set of visual/camera setup problems, but by being able to see them in the camera's monitor as you go along really helps simplify the procedure. 
Mark Picard

by Steve Cirone on Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:32 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Stackshot Rail is popular:

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Steve Cirone on Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:36 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
This is the whole Stackshot system.  It automatically takes the shots after you set the a to z parameters and tell it how much of a gap between images.  I was near buying it a year ago when I decided instead to get a Canon 7 D II and the new 100-400II which left me broke.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Mark Picard on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:17 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Steve Cirone wrote:This is the whole Stackshot system.  It automatically takes the shots after you set the a to z parameters and tell it how much of a gap between images.  I was near buying it a year ago when I decided instead to get a Canon 7 D II and the new 100-400II which left me broke.

Looks like a slick system Steve, but God do you really need to take it to that level? I haven't seen a time where I needed all that. It kinda' reminds me of the RRS system for doing panos (the panning parts, not the heads). I simply overlap by eye a bit on each shot, load them into the computer, then send them off to the stitch program, and VIOLA! Yes, of course, that all happens initially on a tripod Oh, and by the way, the new Photoshop CC has a much improved and wonderful stitching program for panos now. 
Mark Picard

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:50 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Mark Picard wrote:Robert - I use a highly scientific procedure (NOT!) :) :) ) Starting at the closest in focus subject spot you choose, just turn the focus a bit outwards each frame until you end up reaching the last spot you want to be in focus as the last shot. Live view will show you those increments quite well (blown up large on the camera's monitor screen during exposures. If you don't like live view, use your green conformation light and move your focus point around to your subjects spots that you want sharp. If it's a single flower you would need a bit less number of frames compared to say a bunch of 10 flowers. If you're real close to, say, an caterpillar at an angle, and you're shooting at a 1:1 ratio you will need several more images stacked than that single flower requires as an example. Thankfully, your monitor or your live view will show you all this beforehand. The live view method would come in handy if you were using extension tubes too. I find that every single subject will have it's own set of visual/camera setup problems, but by being able to see them in the camera's monitor as you go along really helps simplify the procedure. 
Yup, I gotta think that this is just about as complex as it needs to be.  But what is this "green conformation light" ?    Are you talking about your D3S Mark ? 

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:57 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
"........the new Photoshop CC has a much improved and wonderful stitching program for panos now. "

Great; Just what I need, another challenge and learning curve. Always wondered how to do panos. Here we go again. Nope, I'm gonna wait on this one.

by Mark Picard on Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:23 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:   But what is this "green conformation light" ?    Are you talking about your D3S Mark ? 
All my Nikon bodies have a green light in the left side of the viewing screen (the screen you see while your eye is looking into the camera on top) when using manual focus, either by shutting off the auto focus or using a non CPU (manual only) lens. My Nikon macros (55mm, 105mm, and 200mm) are all old models with no auto focus, so I use the "green" light focus conformation light to let me know when the spot I've chosen will be in focus. On either side of the green light spot there are two arrows on either side of the light and if one or the other is illuminated the arrow indicates what direction you should rotate the lens barrel to achieve proper focus. Pretty cool and simple to operate! 

You really have a severe mental block about this PhotoShop thing Robert!  Making a pano in PS is as simple as downloading the images into ACR, selecting "Select All", making adjustments as you normally would with just one image,  then hitting the "Merge to Panorama" button. Sit back and wait (depending on you computer's speed} and in a few seconds, VIOLA! Taking the images out in the field is a MUCH more complicated deal than making a pano out of those images! Give it a try! :)
Mark Picard

28 posts |