fbpixel

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by DChan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
in 2018 (per LensVid):

What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2018?

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:24 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Member #:01817
Related article:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/camera-market-has-collapsed-84-since-2010

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:20 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
What happened to the photography industry?

People - They want it fast, easy and now.
High end cameras - OMG, it's how much?
Print buyers (newspapers, magazines) - Dead or dying.
Other buyers (ad agencies, etc.) - Microstock
Consumers - Good enough is okay. I don't need great photos. I wouldn't know a great photo if I saw one. Besides, most of the photographs I see are on a 4" screen.

The bulk of people take photos with their phone, and are fine with that. They don't need a $1,000 to $5,000 camera body. But the camera industry keeps focusing on the $1,000 plus cameras. If they don't find a way to meet the needs of the average amateur photographer, then they will disappear too. They have to offer a product that's inexpensive, easy to use, connects with the internet and is small. When the camera phone users ask, "Why should I use a camera when I have one in my phone?" camera manufacturers need to have an answer that will make them say, "Wow, I have to buy that."

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store 25 Places To Sell Your Photographs And Photography Skills and The Vanishing Old West - Jerome

by DChan on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:53 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Jeff Colburn wrote:

The bulk of people take photos with their phone, and are fine with that. They don't need a $1,000 to $5,000 camera body. But the camera industry keeps focusing on the $1,000 plus cameras. If they don't find a way to meet the needs of the average amateur photographer, then they will disappear too. They have to offer a product that's inexpensive, easy to use, connects with the internet and is small. When the camera phone users ask, "Why should I use a camera when I have one in my phone?" camera manufacturers need to have an answer that will make them say, "Wow, I have to buy that."

It would be difficult. For most people occasions when a "real" camera is needed are not that many. When people are using tablets to shoot their traveling photos you know there's a problem. And when IQ is secondary (yup IQ is over-rated), there's not gonna be a "Wow, I have to buy that "moment.

by Ed Cordes on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:05 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I, for one, understand all of the above. However, the painter still paints and takes days, weeks or even months to produce the image they want. We, as serious photographers, are not just documenting what we see, we are creating art. Yes, we use more sophisticated tools and spend more time on the details. However, we do it for ourselves, our pride, our integrity, and for the love of creating the best image we know how to create. I totally understand that most of the viewers of my images don't know a blown highlight from a branch entering from the side of the frame or closed eyes on a critter. However, I do. I try for excellence because it challenges me and I can achieve it if I work hard enough. If the new generation doesn't care so be it. I care.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:05 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Member #:01817
A related article by Thom:

https://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-2019-news/february-2019-nikon-canon/the-dslr-decline.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by PullmanPhotographer on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:36 am
PullmanPhotographer
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:
I, for one, understand all of the above.  However, the painter still paints and takes days, weeks or even months to produce the image they want.  We, as serious photographers, are not just documenting what we see, we are creating art.  Yes, we use more sophisticated tools and spend more time on the details.  However, we do it for ourselves, our pride, our integrity, and for the love of creating the best image we know how to create.  I totally understand that most of the viewers of my images don't know a blown highlight from a branch entering from the side of the frame or closed eyes on a critter.  However, I do.  I try for excellence because it challenges me and I can achieve it if I work hard enough.  If the new generation doesn't care so be it.  I care.

Well said Ed.

7 posts |