All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
by Vivek on Thu May 05, 2016 8:35 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote: Looked at your website too.  Your bird images are superb !   You might want to slow down the speed of that slide show a little.  Just my impression.  My brain was just settling in to one image of a bird and it moved to the next one.   A person recently told me that mine is too fast....and your's is faster than mine.  But a great bird gallery and what bokeh!

Robert :)
Thanks a lot Robert. The website is really not updated for a while (too busy at work) and so it is kind of dated. The speed changed when Smugmug upgraded their servers I think. I will make it slower, thanks for the reminder.

Glad you liked the images and thanks for the good words.

Best,

-- Vivek
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Primus on Fri May 06, 2016 9:34 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Agree with Robert on both counts Vivek. Excellent pictures, the birds are beautiful. However, they do rush by very fast.

FWIW, I've been on Zenfolio for many years. I did try Smugmug  earlier this year to do a separate site for family pics and found it lacking in some key features (for me). Of course everyone's needs are different.

Pradeep

by Tom Reichner on Fri May 06, 2016 11:58 am
Tom Reichner
Forum Contributor
It seems that no one has mentioned an important factor regarding airline overloading. Don't people realize that on airline flights, that the airline doesn't just take passengers and their luggage, but that they are also contracted to take many tons of freight? This is how airlines make a fair portion of their revenue. It's not just about the passengers they carry. They are, simultaneously, operating a large-scale freight transport business, and that freight is in the belly of the plane underneath all of the passengers. If someone thinks that on big commercial airliners, that people stuffing lenses into their coat pockets is going to cause an overloading problem, then they really just aren't seeing the big picture.
Wildlife photographed in the wild

http://www.tomreichner.com/Wildlife

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 06, 2016 10:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Tom Reichner wrote:It seems that no one has mentioned an important factor regarding airline overloading.  Don't people realize that on airline flights, that the airline doesn't just take passengers and their luggage, but that they are also contracted to take many tons of freight?  This is how airlines make a fair portion of their revenue.  It's not just about the passengers they carry.  They are, simultaneously, operating a large-scale freight transport business, and that freight is in the belly of the plane underneath all of the passengers.  If someone thinks that on big commercial airliners, that people stuffing lenses into their coat pockets is going to cause an overloading problem, then they really just aren't seeing the big picture.
Exactly!!!!

by Primus on Sat May 07, 2016 6:42 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Well then, all the more reason for them not to behave as if every extra ounce a passenger carries is risking the safety of the airplane and charging a huge premium for it. Heck I would even pay that premium gladly if they would let me carry it on board.

Pradeep

by E.J. Peiker on Sat May 07, 2016 8:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Primus wrote:Well then, all the more reason for them not to behave as if every extra ounce a passenger carries is risking the safety of the airplane and charging a huge premium for it. Heck I would even pay that premium gladly if they would let me carry it on board.

Pradeep
Yes, it is just an act to dupe the public into putting up with the ever increasing fees.  Some airlines, especially in Europe but also other places primarily outside of North America claim that the overheads aren't safe for that much weight but if that were really the case, overhead bins would be falling off the ceiling and hurting people every day in the US where people bring on board pretty much as much weight as they can lift and hand luggage is never weighed and rarely even measured.

by ebkw on Thu May 26, 2016 7:17 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I have done this and intend doing it again. I am not trying to avoid paying extra fees but trying to keep my gear safe. I have a regulation sized Zacuto rolling bag/cart that has an aircraft aluminum frame. I line it with foam and wrap each lens and/or camera body with neoprene with velcro straps. As I have a medical carry-on and purse/backpack as well I ask that I pay for the zacuto roller and have it gate checked with multiple fragile stickers on it. Yes, I have to pay extra but at least I haven't had any problems with doing that and my gear has arrived safely.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

27 posts |