Motif: Photo Day Exercise

Posted by Griffin on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:12 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Last Sunday, I just took a break from birding and joined a photo day organized by a local university (nothing academic btw). I had a practice of joining activity at least once a year to brush my portrait skill. There are quite a large number in the backlog back then. I just pick one randomly to join the motif. :)

EOS D30, EF50mm USM, f/4, 1/200s, ISO100, manual exposure, built-in flash, FEV +1, handheld, 89% of original, Camera RAW, BreezeBrowser 2.6.

Thanks for viewing and please comment.

Griffin.
Griffin.
[b]NSN0420[/b]
[i]Disclaimer![/i] The subject is not harmed during photography process! ;)
'It is all about Light' - Michael H. Reichmann

Posted by:
Griffin
Lifetime Member
Member #:00420

by AForns on Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:30 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
I like the pose & hat excellent idea!!!

Would consider front lighting (like we do for birds :) ) to even out the light on the face or getting in the shade.

btw the fill flash was very efficient since you do have to look hard for shadows :)

I like it as presented very nice and thanks for posting!!!! 8)
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by Steve Mason on Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:48 am
Steve Mason
Forum Contributor
I like the composition here, and the hat.

2 Minor nits:
The whites look just a tad hot in a couple of spots on my LCD here
I find the fencepost/lattice just a smidge distracting, but those are both pretty minor.

Steve
Steve Mason

by Paul Klenck on Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:03 pm
Paul Klenck
Forum Contributor
Member #:00221
Fine image and I agree with Steve's comments. However, I'm not sure of Alfred's suggestion of front lighting. I like the "sculpting" quality of the sidelight you used, and the shadows are not a problem since you used fill flash.
Paul Klenck

Twitter: [url]http://twitter.com/PaulKlenck[/url]

by KK Hui on Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:59 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
Griffin,

Shooting portrait is quite different from shooting birds particularly in the use of light ... It's not easy to use direct light to its best in portrait shots! :roll:

For your image, three improvements to consider ...
1. BG is too distracting. Here you want a clean one just like you would with bird shots.
2. You have a 'white' nose on the model in this case due to side lighting. Use back lighting instead and add light using soft reflector.
3. A medium tele would give a more pleasing bg and the compression look for portrait.
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Griffin on Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:55 am
Griffin
Lifetime Member
Member #:00420
KK Hui wrote:Griffin,

Shooting portrait is quite different from shooting birds particularly in the use of light ... It's not easy to use direct light to its best in portrait shots! :roll:

For your image, three improvements to consider ...
1. BG is too distracting. Here you want a clean one just like you would with bird shots.
2. You have a 'white' nose on the model in this case due to side lighting. Use back lighting instead and add light using soft reflector.
3. A medium tele would give a more pleasing bg and the compression look for portrait.
Oops! Must have picked a bad one. I have taken over 300 photos combined by both cameras that day ( 50mm for D30 and 70-200mm for 10D ). All but this one is processed. :roll:

As for the side-light and "white nose", they are something I have learnt from this exercise. Thank you for pointing out. It was not that much crowded I should have placed a better position.

My only external flash is on the 10D but not on D30 - so I have to use D30 built-in flash and adjust the apeature to compensate. :? I guess I really need another flash (420EX?) for my D30.

I think I would pick a better one (hopefully ) and post it here later. :wink:

Griffin.
Griffin.
[b]NSN0420[/b]
[i]Disclaimer![/i] The subject is not harmed during photography process! ;)
'It is all about Light' - Michael H. Reichmann

6 posts |