south beach sunrise

Posted by gigo on Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
taken earlier this year in south beach, florida (usa)

enjoy !

canon eos 10d, tokina 19-35 @ 19mm
iso 100, ap: f/10, ss: 1/30, 3 stop grad nd

Posted by:
gigo
Forum Contributor

by AForns on Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:12 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
----- Original
Beautiful image Daniel, I really like the composition and all elements. Amazing the results at 1/30 sec I supposed that shooting at 19mm makes the difference.

I wonder what difference would have made stopping down to 22 rather than using the NDs? I was thinking of the enhanced sun burst effect. I'm not into landscape so it is just a question to learn :)

Congratulations!!!!!
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by TSparger on Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:12 pm
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
Lovely shot. The clouds, color of water and the person in the image really makes for a nice story telling image.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by gigo on Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:26 pm
gigo
Forum Contributor
thank you alfred and todd :-)

alfred, sky was way brighter than the rest of the scene - i could have exposed properly for the sky and then later brought the details back from the rest of the scene (from the shadows) but that would mean that i'd have to deal with shadow noise which would work against me - since the horizon is straight i used a graduated neutral density filter instead - that way both sides are exposed properly and i don't have to deal with destructive shadow noise. (you will also notice that i raised my tripod high enough on purpose to get the subject's head out of the horizon's way)

also two reasons for not using f/22

1) i was using the hyperfocal method which rendered the scene sharp from a near distance to infinity without having to resort to a small aperture - as you may know, sometimes going beyond a certain aperture will work against you - things might get blurrier instead of sharper (this is called diffraction) - in this case f/10 was the best aperture for the job

2) using a smaller aperture as you suggest (f/22) would require a slower shutter - which means a longer exposure - i would totally lose the effects of the waves (they would be rendered into a smooth weird mass since their movement would be recordered over a longer period of time)

hope this helps :-)

when are you going to shoot landscape with me huh? :p

by AForns on Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:35 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Sure it does ...... the little I know about landscape with 35mm :)

A well thought out and well made image!!!!
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by Paul Klenck on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:35 pm
Paul Klenck
Forum Contributor
Member #:00221
Breathtaking image. Rich colors. Dynamic for a quiet scene, if that makes sense.
Paul Klenck

Twitter: [url]http://twitter.com/PaulKlenck[/url]

by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:22 pm
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto
Forum Contributor
Outstanding
http://www.gon2foto.net (current site)   
The grandeur of nature is God's glory.

by robert hasty on Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:10 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
For my taste and imo, this is the nicest post ive seen here in a long while. Excellent work!!

robert..........
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Parrothead Pete on Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:41 am
Parrothead Pete
Forum Contributor
exposure is right on. perfect use of a nd grad. what type did you use? Cokin? Lee?

After seeing this shot, I think I'm gonna get one...
"There are no other Everglades in the world. They are, they have always been, one of the unique regions of the earth; remote, never wholly known. Nothing anywhere else is like them..." - Marjory Stoneman Douglas

by LindaY on Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:22 pm
LindaY
Forum Contributor
The inclusion of the young woman really takes this one over the top for me. I love the layering of the colors of the sea and sky and the rays. My only nit is that I wish I were sitting there...but not in the photo. I prefer being behind the camera rather than in front of it. :wink:
Linda Yee

10 posts |