Motif: Your typical supermarket!!!!!

Posted by AForns on Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
This supermarket :mrgreen: is not really bad as presented (talking about image quality etc :oops: ) ......but what would you do to improve the image?

Take a shot and repost of your own!!!!! :) :)
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

Posted by:
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233

by robert hasty on Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:02 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
This lady drew my attention right away. Dont know if its any improvement but rather just another view and or comp within. Enjoy!

Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by AForns on Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:09 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
I like it Robert the lady's expression is strong enough for extreme close up!!!!

I find this very interesting because of the possibilities and this is one that I had not considered. I like it :)

Any more ideas? :roll:
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by Paul Klenck on Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:39 pm
Paul Klenck
Forum Contributor
Member #:00221
I like the original a lot except for whoever walked in your frame on the left. I really like your use of focus and the expressions on all the faces. My suggestion is for marketing. I think she needs to show how tasty the pickles are!
Paul Klenck

Twitter: [url]http://twitter.com/PaulKlenck[/url]

by AForns on Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:44 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
:) :) :)

.........Paul you are getting worse than Harvey :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

Yogi Berra

by Harvey Edelman on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:09 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
I like Pauls suggestions. The marketplace adds the environment which is a very important element of the image. Including the marketplace takes care of what you need for a good photojournalistic image...who, why, what, when, wher and how. Also the extreme closeup (as is obvious) would degrade the image. The obtrusive lady on the left can be taken care of easily enough by just cropping her out and then doing some cloning to get rid of her hands. Another alternative is to just shoot her :shock: . She'll fall to the ground very quickly. Here's the crop and clone:
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by AForns on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:19 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Harvey I do like the square crop and never even considered it before :oops:

This crop show the lady well (which is the main focus of the image), the produce section :mrgreen: and the overall ambiance. Another plus is not having to shoot :shock: the lady obstructing!!!!!
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

Yogi Berra

by robert hasty on Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:25 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Harvey Edelman wrote:I like Pauls suggestions. The marketplace adds the environment which is a very important element of the image. Including the marketplace takes care of what you need for a good photojournalistic image...who, why, what, when, wher and how. Also the extreme closeup (as is obvious) would degrade the image. The obtrusive lady on the left can be taken care of easily enough by just cropping her out and then doing some cloning to get rid of her hands. Another alternative is to just shoot her :shock: . She'll fall to the ground very quickly. Here's the crop and clone:

Also the extreme closeup (as is obvious) would degrade the image

I couldnt disagree more Harvey, there was nothing said about photojournalism so the extreme closeup does not "degrade" anything. Its a completely different image focusing on the lady itself and one may wonder where shes at and what shes thinking etc. You wrote: Another alternative is to just shoot her. Is that not what my image did? Your contradicting yourself are you not?

The between the line or apparent out in the open now shots are getting very rediculous around here. Maybe you should get your head out of the newspaper and into an art book more often?! Put that pickle in your pipe and smoke it!

robert............ :roll:
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Paul Klenck on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:18 pm
Paul Klenck
Forum Contributor
Member #:00221
:? Hmmm . . . I don't think Harvey needs defending and if he thinks he does can do it himself, but . . . I think what this Motif is trying to do is to offer how others may "see" or "edit" a shot. I believe that was successfully done here. I very much like Robert's isolation of the thoughtful woman with the tight crop and clean BG. (The image "degraded" because of the few pixels left, but the clear vision was there.) Harvey's was a completely different "journalistic" view of the same subject. I find that very intriguing and creative. I hope others post very different views and ideas.

(Also, I took Harvey's comment to be (sick) humor about "shooting" the woman on the left so she was out of the shot.)
Paul Klenck

Twitter: [url]http://twitter.com/PaulKlenck[/url]

by robert hasty on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:28 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
A little late on Harveys sick humor joke i suppose but the original "shot" was uncalled for and becoming all to common anymore imo. I swear, the more people i meet the more i like my camera. Thats no joke!

robert............
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]

by AForns on Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:14 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Robert the your idea of a severe crop isolating the lady I lked since it made such good composition. The idea is getting a different perspectives and I thought it was great.

I never considered image degradation since producing an output was never the end result.. When we copy and work on the little jpegs plays havoc with the image to begin with.

I think Harvey was talking and thinking from a journalistic point of view in having the entire Supermarket in view. Also an approach to the enhancement. Shooting the lady was clearly a joke. I don't think there is any doubt about that.

Hope you don't take the comments the wrong way because I'm sure that was not the intention. I hope you continue making contributions since they are a very important part of the forum and I appreciate them very much.

Something interesting. Most of you posted images go beyond the usual cute image and have a high degree of meaning which goes hand in hand with emphasizing the lady close up. Isolating the lady gets you to wonder what is she thinking and all goes into a more personable nature. It is exactly the way you present your images showing strong emotional feelings.

Hope its just a misunderstanding and please do jump in as soon as possible!!!! I think it can be fun around here!!!!...... and usually is :)
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

Yogi Berra

by robert hasty on Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:24 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Alfred, i appreciate and respect your opinions and replys. I didnt mean to hurt anyones feelings and or take a quick shot back at anyone like Harvey with my above comment. Bad day at work i guess :roll: so i do apologize!! Ive always enjoyed Harvey's jokes and comments etc as does everyone.

That said, i still think some around here (plural) should think more clearly before they post a reply or comment on others comments, work, and or interpritations thereof or all the above. We all know how easy it is for these internet forums to cause people to misunderstand others comments etc even with smilies when used, get offended and walk away for good.

All that said, id like to know what Harvey meant by degradeing.

robert............
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]

by AForns on Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:52 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Robert only Harvey can answer but I have read it a bunch of times to make sure and to me it means that such a crop will cause an image with not enough pixels.

Personally I don't take that into consideration since I am looking for different ways to present the image. In this instance.

As far as the comments I do agree that is very easy to rub someone the wrong way even placing a smiles. I usually know the person well enough when throwing a curve ball so there is no chance of misinterpretations.

I am glad that all has been done and said because the end result will be very positive and thanks for your input.
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

Yogi Berra

13 posts |