All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 75 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
jkurkjia wrote: I wonder why Mr. Morris didn't say the AF performance was not consistent when the camera first hit the street? Note, my comments are not meant to blast Arthur Morris, I greatly admire both him and his work but find the time-frame associated with his "AF performance" comment interesting.
Arthur is a Canon Explorer of Light - the closest thing Canon has to sponsorship of an individual photographer. I don't know if that forces him to word things a certain way.

by Dan Wolin on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:20 pm
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
I am not sure about the Explorer of Light thing - I know one and he returned his two MKIIIs and had horrible results with them. He has a IIIs and that works pretty well but overall he was not happy at all with his.
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Looks like the first 1D4's are shipping in the US.

by Steve Ting on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:57 am
Steve Ting
Forum Contributor
For a few more thoughts/opinions on the 1D4 this thread from sportsshooter.com may be of interest. I believe all the posters are pro sports photographers. Sounds like for the most part the camera is performing well, though I will still wait a few months before purchasing it. There are some links to some high ISO images as well.
[i]Steve[/i]
Website - [url=http://www.stingphotography.com]Steve Ting Photography[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I've read many reports on many sites and it is looking like Canon got this one absolutely right - which they really needed to do - that's a very good thing.

by jkurkjia on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:37 am
jkurkjia
Forum Contributor
The early "good news" reports are indeed promising. Because of the less-than-stellar AF history associated with the 1DmkIII I'm pretty certain the 1DmkIV bodies are now getting the most thorough tests in photographic history (limited only by the tester's ability); because of this, IMO any good news posted by a "credible" Canon user can probably be considered to be REALLY outstanding, YMMV.

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian
http://www.pbase.com/jkurkjia

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Note that Mangin thought the 1D Mark IIn "sucked" to use his words so the fact that he likes the IV a lot would indicate it's pretty darn good.

by Joe Elliott on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:15 pm
Joe Elliott
Forum Contributor
jkurkjia wrote:The early "good news" reports are indeed promising. Because of the less-than-stellar AF history associated with the 1DmkIII I'm pretty certain the 1DmkIV bodies are now getting the most thorough tests in photographic history (limited only by the tester's ability); because of this, IMO any good news posted by a "credible" Canon user can probably be considered to be REALLY outstanding, YMMV.

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian
Yep, I totally aree, the Canon 1D Mark IV body will be tested, scrutinized, and re-tested more times than any digital body in the history of modern photography. There are so many people around the world who want it to succeed, and at the same time, there are many people who want it to fail, many are looking for the slightest flaw. I am hoping that Canon has a real winner here, and can gain back some lost ground and market share. :D
Joe Elliott - http://www.redbubble.com/people/happilyretired

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I don't quite understand why anyone would want it to fail? That makes no sense to me. But I suppose there are those that do.

Why does gaining market share matter to you Joe? They still have a huge chunk of the world market and it is good for the consumer to have strong competition.

by Jan Wegener on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:52 pm
Jan Wegener
Forum Contributor
Member #:00917
I made the first 1000 images today with my Mark IV... I will write a post on my blog later on this night. However, my first impression was really good.
It beats my Mark IIn in any regard and I liked it betterthan my 1Ds III......for a final BIF judgement the weather was too bad though...
ISO up to 1600 is basically noise free and also above very very good.
With the new Sandisk Extreme Pro Cards it's almost impossible to fill the buffer! I'd highly recommend those...

This camera is certainly not a lemon like the Mark III. I did very few BIF but the camera was never distracted by very distracting BGs. I have to play around with those Af functions a bit more, but like I said. What I've seen so far is darn good.

The best feature is that the AF field switches from vertical to horizontal and backwards. That will enable me to get some quick verticals without dialing through all fields. And god bless Canon for giving us back all 45 AF points.

by Jan Wegener on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:35 pm
Jan Wegener
Forum Contributor
Member #:00917
I just wrote a short first Review on my Blog. You can download two RAWs @ ISO 1250 :)

http://vogelfotografien.wordpress.com/2 ... 15-images/

by Joe Elliott on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:36 pm
Joe Elliott
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I don't quite understand why anyone would want it to fail? That makes no sense to me. But I suppose there are those that do.

Why does gaining market share matter to you Joe? They still have a huge chunk of the world market and it is good for the consumer to have strong competition.
EJ, I guess it gets back to that old, old, Canon vs. Nikon thing of the past. It's kinda like a football game and I'm rooting for Canon to whip the socks off of Nikon, because all of my stuff has Canon written on it. I want Canon to gain back some of the respect that they lost with the Mark III fiasco, by putting a real winner on the market that does well around the world. But, I agree, it is very good for consumers to have strong competition in the marketplace, which in the long run is good for everyone of us........... :D
Joe Elliott - http://www.redbubble.com/people/happilyretired

by LouBuonomo on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:15 pm
LouBuonomo
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the review Jan !
Lou
[url=http://www.nwpli.com]NWPLI Member[/url] http://www.westhighland-imaging.com - Member of NANPA
NSN #353

by George DeCamp on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:48 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
jkurkjia wrote: Shortly before the 1DmkIII was released I bought my wife a new car to grease the skids in advance for approval of the camera's purchase ... and it worked. During the first two weeks of the 1DmkIII's life my wife kept telling me to quit fussing about where to order the camera from and just order the camera from B&H. Well, a lot of time has passed and today my wife claims no knowledge of telling me to order a camera that I didn't buy; in fact, she doesn't even admit to ever getting a new car.
BTW, I hope everybody has a very Happy New Year!

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian
I had to laugh out loud with this one Joe, sorry it was at your expense! :D
You're a man, get back in there and think of something! :lol:

Happy New Year!

by George DeCamp on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:50 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Buonomo wrote:Thanks for the review Jan !
Lou
I bet you are foaming at the mouth now!
Sounds like it will be an awesome camera, great news for the Canon folk....and Nikon folk also! :wink:

Happy New year to you and Terry!

by Colin Inman on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:45 am
Colin Inman
Regional Moderator
Member #:00333
Sounds promising Jan, you just forgot to enable custom function 76 though - subject appears automatically, option 3 selects required behaviour ;-) :D

I'd be very interested if the price were to come down to a more realistic level (currently £4500 in the UK, approximately equivalent to $7300 US )
Colin

by LouBuonomo on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:58 pm
LouBuonomo
Forum Contributor
I am George, with I had it for down here. BTW we added some locations to the GPS.
[url=http://www.nwpli.com]NWPLI Member[/url] http://www.westhighland-imaging.com - Member of NANPA
NSN #353

by Scott Elowitz on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:01 am
Scott Elowitz
Lifetime Member
Member #:00355
Nice Review Jan, Best of luck with it.
Scott Elowitz
[url=http://www.scottelowitzphotography.com][b][color=#000000]Scott Elowitz Photography[/color][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.lenscoat.com][b][color=#000000]LensCoat [/color][/b][/url]

NSN 0355

by alibenn on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:02 am
alibenn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00341
Joe Elliott wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I don't quite understand why anyone would want it to fail? That makes no sense to me. But I suppose there are those that do.

EJ, I guess it gets back to that old, old, Canon vs. Nikon thing of the past. It's kinda like a football game and I'm rooting for Canon to whip the socks off of Nikon, because all of my stuff has Canon written on it. I want Canon to gain back some of the respect that they lost with the Mark III fiasco, by putting a real winner on the market that does well around the world. But, I agree, it is very good for consumers to have strong competition in the marketplace, which in the long run is good for everyone of us........... :D
Seems like a strange preoccupation!! I shoot Nikon and my wife shoots Canon and I certainly aspire to a level playing field for gear, which to be fair, are all just tools anyways. I am enthused by these reviews for the new 1D4 as Canon had to deliver a credible camera after the 1D3, which in all honesty is an embarrassment for a company of such high renown. I look forward to buying a 1D4 for my wife in a couple of months when things have settled down and we have them here in China...

Best wishes...
Alister Benn
Artist, Educator & Guide
Available Light Images Ltd.
Photography & Processing Workshops in Scotland, Spain, China & Tibet

by Neil Fitzgerald on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:17 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Apparently the NZ distributors initial order was for 40 bodies. Now that doesn't sound like a whole lot to me. They got 4. It may be a small country, but what is the point in sending four?!
A bit off topic I'm sorry, but it bugs me how they over promise (it was supposed to be available early Dec). Lack of manufacturing capacity is one thing; they could have just said initially that it would be available in Jan/Feb then fill orders more quickly. It is either a ploy to try to hype things or they needed to do more last minute fixes than they anticipated, or both. Errrrr!

75 posts |