Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Mark Picard on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Would someone share their exact settings for achieving high %'s when photographing birds in flight using the D300? I missed almost all of the opportunities I had during a snowy owl flight last week. Thanks
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Scott Linstead on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:07 pm
Scott Linstead
Forum Contributor
with 500 f4, I use the following (keep in mind my 70-200 f2.8 is just OK for AF compared to the 500, so the lens changes the game a bit)

af-c
9-point dynamic
lock-on : off
8fps
focus priority release

by Alan Melle on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:46 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Slightly different settings for me.

AF-C
9 Point dynamic w/center focus point selected
(A4) Lock-on set to normal
(A1) AF-C Priority Selection set to Release + Focus
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by Scotty on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:46 pm
Scotty
Forum Contributor
The following was from one of Arthur Morris's Bulletins, and these settings have worked for me:

NIKON AF COMMENTS FROM JAMES SHADLE
"Autofocus: a1 Release + focus, a2 Release, a3 3D (Depends on situation, I have function button set to change AF area on the fly), a4 Normal (Depends on the situation), a5 On, a6 On, a7 On, a8 AF51, a9 Off, a10 AF, b1 1/3, b2 /3, b3 1/3, e1 1/320 FP, f5 button + dials Dynamic AF Area.

Set Picture Control: Standard with these adjustments; Sharpening 3, Contrast 2 bars left (negative) of 0.

I have 3 basic AF set ups. Basic BIF set up: AF-C, a1 Release + focus, AF Dynamic, a3 3D, a4 Normal.

When fastest AF is needed: AF-C, a1 Release + focus, AF Single Sensor, AF Center Sensor, a4 Long. Remember to acquire focus or focus on another subject when using Lock-On you must take finger off shutter release and then press half way down again.

Over water or when tonality of subject is similar to background: AF-C, a1 Release + focus, AF Dynamic, a3 9 point, a4 Normal.

I recommend using the limiter switch and always prefocusing on an area close to where you expect to pick your subject up. The D300 is very good with handling noise, so I use ISO 400 even in brighter light to give more shutter speed or smaller aperture. If possible I prefer (with F4 lenses) using an aperture of F6.3-F8 for birds in flight. "

Hope this helps,

Scotty
http://www.ecotonephoto.com

by flygirl on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:55 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
One last thing Practice!

Cheers
Nancy

by Anthony Medici on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:06 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I'm basically the same as everyone else with slight variations.

I don't think the camera is as good tracking at 8 fps than at 5. If you're having issues, bring down the frame rate so the mirror down time increases to give the camera time with the sensor active.

I set my A4 to short rather than normal. 9 point is the fastest. Make SURE you are on the center setting on the back of the camera. If not, it is either using all the points or it won't track. I set A1 to release. I like deleting out of focus images. :)

Sharpening in the picture control has nothing to do with Birds in Flight but I have mine set on Auto. It's a unique setting that works reasonably well and can't be reproduced in any RAW conveter. For Capture NX, it gives another choice in post processing.
Tony

by cduncan32 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:57 pm
cduncan32
Forum Contributor
Mine is similar to others, when I had a D300

AF-C
9 point dynamic - centered
Lock On - Short
Release + Focus Priority usually

I also set all of my bodies up to only utilize the AF-ON button for AF activation, keeping activating focus and activating the shutter as two separate actions.
[b]Chris Duncan[/b]
[color=#FF0000]Naturally Wild Photography[/color]
www.naturallywildphoto.com

by Mark Picard on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:49 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone for your help. There seems to be a distinct pattern to everyone's reply, with a few minor differences. I'll experiment with all of them. Thanks again.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

8 posts |