MOTIF: The Only Real Fear

Posted by Carol Clarke on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:27 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
African Elephant

Lower Zambezi, Zambia

EOS 10D. Sigma 100-300. ISO 400. F8.

I post this not because its a great image, but because its a portrait of an African Elephant Bull - the only wild creature in all our African travels that always manages at some stage during our trips, to scare the living daylights out of me!! (That is a watered down version....)

This particular one was a sweet natured male just going about his business and no problem at all.

On another morning as Dave and I set out with our guide at dawn to drive way out into the bush and spend a day at a remote water hole, an extremely large and totally demented bull charged out from the trees as we passed along this track. Driving through this particular area is always a time for caution, as the trees close in on either side of the track as it winds its way through the forest, and you never know what's around the next bend. To have an enraged giant thundering towards your open topped vehicle with no intention of stopping as it screams through a cloud of dust, is the biggest adrenalin rush you could imagine! Our guide had no alternative but to put pedal to the metal and drive like a madman for what seemed like an eternity, twisting and slithering through the trees as they whipped around our faces and we held on to our cameras and the seats to prevent being thrown out to a certain crushing. The bull just kept coming and coming! as we rounded every bend, he was right behind us! His speed was amazing! Finally, we lost him but not until we were gasping for breath and shaking with fright!

Only when we got to the water hole and were able to relax, did our guide tell us that a month before, a bull had chased another vehicle and managed to hit the back of it - pushing a large hole through the bodywork with its tusk, before they had managed to lose him.

When we finally got back to camp that night, the question on everyone's llips was - "Did you get the shots of him chasing you?" :roll: :roll:

Alas, hanging on to an open landrover as it crashes through a forest - often on two wheels and tilting alarmingly, while you try to hang on to your cameras - makes getting a shot impossible! The only thought in your head is Survival!! :wink: :D

Does this put me off going again to Africa? - Not at all!! :P :P
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

Posted by:
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067

by fendleroc on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:53 am
fendleroc
Forum Contributor
It seems you've got some thrilling adventures with ele. This one plus the one where you were sleeping in a tent. I like it very much carol though he doesn't look so bad. :D

by Carol Clarke on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:00 am
Carol Clarke
fendleroc wrote:It seems you've got some thrilling adventures with ele. This one plus the one where you were sleeping in a tent. I like it very much carol though he doesn't look so bad. :D
Yes Louis!! Our tent being sat on by two bulls in the middle of the night in Botswana was unforgettable too!! :roll: :roll:

If all the Elephants were like the one in this image - there would be no problem! 8) :D
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

by NDCheryl on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:35 am
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Excellent head on portrait and another hair raising adventure. Thanks for sharing both.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Tim Grams on Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:54 am
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
Nice shot Carol- the habitat frames the ele nicely. And a very exciting story! :shock: Any particular reason for an ele being so agressive? It makes my photo trips sound positively dull. :wink:

Kudos on the new avatar. I had to do a double take this morning- thought we had another poster with a very similar name and a huge number of posts. 'Guess I need a bit of caffeine.... :)
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by Carol Clarke on Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:08 am
Carol Clarke
Tim Grams wrote:Nice shot Carol- the habitat frames the ele nicely. And a very exciting story! :shock: Any particular reason for an ele being so agressive? It makes my photo trips sound positively dull. :wink:

Kudos on the new avatar. I had to do a double take this morning- thought we had another poster with a very similar name and a huge number of posts. 'Guess I need a bit of caffeine.... :)
As for agression, out on the open plains its not so bad - they can see/smell you coming, but you tend to surprise them a bit in the forests in parts of wild Zambia, and that's not a good start! Couple that with the fact that they may be part of a breeding herd with small calves to protect and females in oestrus and then you have the same angst as a Bull Moose or Elk in the 'Rut' - plus a ton or two!! :roll: :roll: With a Bull Elephant its called 'Musth' and they become very excited and agressive with the increased arousal.

As for the avatar - it was done for the motif in Digital Creations this week - member's portraits and I thought I'd have a change. 8)
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

by Pete Zwiers on Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:19 am
Pete Zwiers
Lifetime Member
Member #:00411
Fantastic story! :shock:

Oh, very nice shot also.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Great story and an excellent shot.

by john on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:02 pm
john
Lifetime Member
Member #:00404
Great story and pic. I guess pepper spray does'nt work for them :D But then I personally wouldn't want to insult a grizzly bear with pepper spray either :)

by Rich S on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:31 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Love the story - and the shot. I've been charged twice - while in a vehicle - but when you've got a bit of plains it's much easier to get away. (And I can sympathize since I didn't get a shot of him charging either! Going from parked to flying put me on the floor of the Land Rover!)

Rich

by Carol Clarke on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:58 am
Carol Clarke
john wrote:Great story and pic. I guess pepper spray does'nt work for them :D But then I personally wouldn't want to insult a grizzly bear with pepper spray either :)
Thanks John, I think if you were close enough to a raging Ele to use a pepper spray - it would be too late! :roll:
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

by Carol Clarke on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:01 am
Carol Clarke
Rich S wrote:Love the story - and the shot. I've been charged twice - while in a vehicle - but when you've got a bit of plains it's much easier to get away. (And I can sympathize since I didn't get a shot of him charging either! Going from parked to flying put me on the floor of the Land Rover!)

Rich
Hi Rich, it must have been a heart stopping moment at the time, but we all manage to laugh about it afterwards - when the heart rate returns to normal!! :wink: :D
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

by Debski on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:05 am
Debski
Forum Contributor
:) WOW I really want to go. Loved your story. thanks San Diego Deb
Debbie Beals
San Diego, CA

by stevebein on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:56 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
Next time have a point and shoot ready so you can just put it outside and shoot. Great story.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Carol Clarke on Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:15 am
Carol Clarke
stevebein wrote:Next time have a point and shoot ready so you can just put it outside and shoot. Great story.
Only trouble with that Steve, is that you still need a hand to hold the point and shoot!! When one is hanging on to your camera and the other is hanging on to the seat - where do you find another hand....... :wink: :roll: Remember these Landrovers have no roof and cut away sides, so there's nothing between you and the great outdoors. 8)
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

15 posts |