All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by LHays on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:49 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
I have the Canon 1DX.  I also have the Canon Speedlite 580EX.   I haven't been out much to do photography as my job consumed me the last 3+ years.  However, now that I've retired I'm taking a serious look at my equipment and deciding what stays, what goes, and what I might buy.   Since I haven't had much of a chaned for photography I've never used the Canon 1DX much and definitely not with a flash.   So....here are some questions:

1) Will the the Canon 1DX work with the 580EX (I still have my Canon 1DMkIV as well)?

2) Do I really still need flash for mainly bird photography since the ISO features on the Canon 1DX are so good?

3) I have the Canon Speedlite 600EX but have never used it.  When I started to play with it, I really was confused and thought I might need an engineering degree to use it.  So......is it worth keeping or should I sell it?

I am paring down the equipment that I own.  My goal is to keep a couple of lenses and trade my old Canon 500mmL IS in for either the 500mmL IS II or the 600mmL IS II.

Thanks for any advice you have. 
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
1. Yes, absolutely
2. Less than in the past due to better dynamic range but there are still plenty of situations where it can make or break a shot
3. The 600EX is superior. Work with it a little and you will figure it out. There is plenty of help available here on NSN to help you set it up.

by Robert Royse on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:11 pm
Robert Royse
Forum Contributor
Lana,

I'm still using 550EX units with both the 1DX and the 1D4. The 550EX still works perfectly well for my needs and is inexpensive to replace. Personally, I consider fill flash essential in overcast light for songbirds.
Bob Royse
http://www.roysephotos.com

by LHays on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:10 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
EJ and Bob
Thanks. I guess that I just need to get back out there and start over ago learning flash. It seems like years since I've actually used it.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040

by Steve Cirone on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:39 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Hi Lana,

For your 600 EX Speedlight I have a set up help that I have used on my workshops since the 600 EX came out.  You are not the only one who is confused by the completely new menu on the 600 EX.  I got two of them when they first came out and have used them continuously since.  Here's the drill to make it a lot more user friendly.  The main hang up has been having to press too many buttons to get the Plus Minus flash intensity gear wheel to work.  Canon imitated the complex Nikon SB 900 controls on this unit.  I am surprised Nikon didn't sue over this, as the two flashes are almost identical.

To set CF 13 for direct access to the + -  (Plus, Minus) wheel on the unit so you can quickly adjust flash intensity:

Press and HOLD button 1, Zm/Cfn, until Custom Functions screen appears.

Turn the center gear wheel until you bring up Custom Function 13.

Press the SEL/SET button in the center of the gear wheel.

Rotate the gear wheel until 1 is dark= 1 is selected.

Press the SEL/SET in the center of the gear wheel again.

Press button #4 TWICE to Exit.  This setting is now permanent, even after you remove the batteries, unless you undo the drill.

Now your flash will behave a lot more like the old 580, 580II.  You can now quickly change the flash intensity in ETTL with only the center wheel.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Steven Cirone

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by LHays on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:04 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Steve
Thanks. I played around with the settings yesterday and have a general feel for it. I spent most of today trying to set my 1DX up. Hopefully in the next day or so I can see how it works. I love the setup but the technology has far exceeded what I really need....or understand....but I'm working on it.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040

by Diane Miller on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:27 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
For extending flash range (once you get to that stage) consider a Better Beamer. It focuses the flash to a smaller area, thereby effectively extending its range (by increasing its apparent power). It makes it more useful for telephoto distances. Also learn about High Speed Sync, to make it work with the higher shutter speeds common to telephoto shots. But that will reduce effective power. Lots on the internet about all that stuff.

by fredcor on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:53 am
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Can't help chiming in Lana.  Retired as well for 3 years now.  Still have a 580EX and a 580EXII.  The 600, IMO, is FAR superior to previous Canon units.  I also found it very confusing at first, thus hesitated to use it; a real brain teaser and I'm an Engineer!   A point to note; Canon is now leaning towards RT, as IR is restricted to visual communication.  Camera bodies also have extensive capabilities to set flashes in the recent models.

I did some product shoot assignments and had to put the 600 to use, in IR mode with both the 580s'.  Once understood, the ease of setting the 600 impressed me so much that I purchased 3 more 600s'(used) with the ST-E3-RT Transmitter.  The radio ability far exceeds the IR transmission of the 580 series.  Once I learnt the menu it is much easier to set up and more user friendly.  Just go through the options you use frequently, to memorise them.  If I need more than 4 flashes I can introduce the 580's.  Note, the 580EX does not communicate with all options as well as the 580EXII or the 600EX even in IR mode.
Frederick Lat Correa

8 posts |