« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 128 posts | 
by rene on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:42 pm
rene
Forum Contributor
I have been using the Sigma 150-600 extensively in Hungary last week and i have been very pleased with it. Do not regretting selling my 600.
This image comes straight out of LR. I have a few more on my Facebook page renenaturepics and on my website under diaries; Cranes.
I work a lot from hides and the flexibility of the 150-600 gives me more creative opportunities. 

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:16 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Rene, any chance we could see that image at 100%, or at least a 100% crop of the head? Seeing files at the presented size is meaningless with reagrds to determining sharpness and details.

Last edited by Tim Zurowski on Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:25 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:On predictable flyers it will have no problem at all - I haven't tested the new firmware yet but it is supposed to noticeably improve AF-C function and tracking too. The fundamental difficulty with this lens is getting it calibrated through the zoom range and at different distances.  It is not an easy task and takes many hours of trial and error with the camera, lens and dock as described in a number of the posts above.  Doing this is not for the faint of heart and if you don't do it the lens won't perform well.  Once you do get it all tuned its great but I would venture to guess that 95% of the people interested in this lens have neither the technical capability nor patience to really dial it in and then will complain about lack of sharpness.  And if you don't go through the calibration rigor with the dock, it is not a great performer at all.  Sure you can use the camera's facility to calibrate it at the longest focal length and at a single distance but then why bother with a zoom lens at all.  And then, I haven't even begun to test the temperature effects on the calibration.

I've redone mine 3 times now and want to do it again making just tiny tweaks from previous calibration efforts.  It takes about 6 hours to do it properly.  It's worth it to me due to the amount I travel and the increasing difficulty of traveling especially on other continents where the restrictions and policing of them are astronomically higher than here.  If you already have a 500 and don't fly outside of North America much, I'm not sure I would go through the effort.
Thanks EJ and I get what you are saying, but I am really more interested in how detailed and sharp the lens is compared to the 500 VR.  I am glad to hear that it would do a decent job at BIF. I also understand that the AF calibration process is a PITA, and that is another reason why I am on the fence about this lens. Even though I have fine tuned dozens of lenses now with FoCal and Lens Align for myself and others, I am leery about my abilities to do the Sigma with the Dock system.

I would rarely ever use the lens much below 300mm, but would definitely need it to be accurately tuned and sharp from 300 to 600mm. I just came back from 5 days at Cabin Lake where I had to constantly be swapping between the D800, D7200 and 1.4x between tiny species like Pygmy Nuthatch and larger species like Clark's Nutcracker. I missed many shots because of this. Having something like the Sigma would make these shoots much more manageable and successful. It is only for the ability to quickly and easily switch for varying sizes of subjects that I am considering this lens. Although I wouldn't mind a bit lighter and smaller as well.

by Mark Picard on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:57 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Maybe I shoot super teles zooms different from other folks, but I buy them for the long end and the zoom just allows me to find the subject in the viewfinder.  My biggest problem with a 600f4 is getting the subject in the viewfinder with its narrow FOV.  It seems that micro adjusting the two longest FL would be all that was required for normal use.  I just ordered the Tamron 150/600 ($779 what a deal) and hope it is usable to 550mm.  I do have 500 and 600f4s but they are a pain especially shooting out of a car.
Tamron 150-600mm? Don't you mean Sigma?
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Mike in O on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:14 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Mark Picard wrote:
Mike in O wrote:Maybe I shoot super teles zooms different from other folks, but I buy them for the long end and the zoom just allows me to find the subject in the viewfinder.  My biggest problem with a 600f4 is getting the subject in the viewfinder with its narrow FOV.  It seems that micro adjusting the two longest FL would be all that was required for normal use.  I just ordered the Tamron 150/600 ($779 what a deal) and hope it is usable to 550mm.  I do have 500 and 600f4s but they are a pain especially shooting out of a car.
Since the Sigma doesn't come in Sony A mount, the Tamron is the only slow super tele available to me and MFA pertains to it also.

by Mark Picard on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:27 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:
Mark Picard wrote:
Since the Sigma doesn't come in Sony A mount, the Tamron is the only slow super tele available to me and MFA pertains to it also.
Oh, I get it - I wasn't aware you were referring to the Sony mount. I also wasn't aware that you could FFT the Tamron in more than one focal length setting, because with the Sigma USB Dock you can do several focal lengths :)
Mark Picard

by Mike in O on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:40 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
You are correct Mark, but I only set my long lenses for infinity focus anyway. I do have the dock with my 35Art and have looked at resetting my lens for the 4 zones but darn it is super sharp right out of the box.

by david fletcher on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:02 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525

100% view.   unsharpened, unprocessed.   techs.  D800 & 150-600 OS Sport at 600 and 1/500 F8 +0.67.  1000 ISO.  from window cill on a bean bag.  VR on.  
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Vertigo on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:31 pm
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
wow detail is here at 600/8 on not too much crowded sensor.

Ideally I would need to see a few BIF pictures, or at least of something moving and further away, to really believe in the lens potential. You know, the kind of subjects where a 500/4 is (was ?) king.

by david fletcher on Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:42 am
david fletcher
Vertigo wrote:wow detail is here at 600/8 on not too much crowded sensor.

Ideally I would need to see a few BIF pictures, or at least of something moving and further away, to really believe in the lens potential. You know, the kind of subjects where a 500/4 is (was ?) king.
in my case, I'm unable to "get out" for that till October, which will be the deer rut.  At this moment I'm not expecting too many differences at distance, other than if anything is not sharp enough to my taste I'll probably need to recheck that I've set it up properly.  But for now, I am clearly happy with this set up on this lens.  For what I want and need, the IQ is clearly good enough, with the added bonus of a great deal of flexibility.  For my own needs, the loss of F4 and the bokeh effect at that aperture is not a deal breaker.

BIF will be a walk in the park...   (I mean literally a walk in the local park....) :D

NSN00525

by david fletcher on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:33 pm
david fletcher
Had my chance yesterday to test the 150-600 with Red Deer.  Regrettably, the opportunity was wasted in so far as the specific image and objective I had was put to the sword by good old crap light.  as far as the lens, my confidence remains high.  

I did not like the limited space due to the placement of the tripod foot, but in poor light, af acquisition was fast and IQ more than acceptable.  

Regarding this image, and ignoring it's compositional content, I have done worse with both a 500 IS Canon and Nikon AF-S II, so see the opportunity wasted due to the light conditions rather than the lens ability to provide what I wanted.  regarding details, his left eye, (ours right side of image), trails blood due to the ferocity of their recent battles.  
I'll follow with a file on another subject I shot recently, with better lighting to demonstrate that effect lighting has.  

NSN00525

Last edited by david fletcher on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by david fletcher on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:37 pm
david fletcher
other image as mentioned of a long tailed tit.  

NSN00525

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:01 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Dave, I don't mind the light at all in the first image. In fact, I prefer overcast light when my BG is not sky or water. Any chance we could see these as 100% crops without any sharpening applied?

My local camera store is going to have the Sport model in stock on November 16th. I have arranged with them that I come down with my Nikon 500 VR and take both lenses out for a test. If the Sigma tests as well as I am hoping, I am seriously considering selling my Nikon 500 for the Sigma.

by david fletcher on Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:10 pm
david fletcher
1st one Tim.  

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Tim Zurowski wrote:Dave, I don't mind the light at all in the first image. In fact, I prefer overcast light when my BG is not sky or water. Any chance we could see these as 100% crops without any sharpening applied?

My local camera store is going to have the Sport model in stock on November 16th. I have arranged with them that I come down with my Nikon 500 VR and take both lenses out for a test. If the Sigma tests as well as I am hoping, I am seriously considering selling my Nikon 500 for the Sigma.
How are you going to compare them without a proper focus cal?  The only way this will be a legitimate test is if you use Live View to focus.

by david fletcher on Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:18 pm
david fletcher
2nd one Tim.  

the noise  Tim, comes from a screw up on my part.  (i'd left the compensation at -0.7 when should have been putting a plus in.   fatigue and a 5am start .)..  my acid test which I couldn't do, was for a shot for a deer about 40m away with backlighting and the bg some distant away to give that cream bokeh.  not happening!

NSN00525

by david fletcher on Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:40 pm
david fletcher
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Tim Zurowski wrote:Dave, I don't mind the light at all in the first image. In fact, I prefer overcast light when my BG is not sky or water. Any chance we could see these as 100% crops without any sharpening applied?

How are you going to compare them without a proper focus cal?  The only way this will be a legitimate test is if you use Live View to focus.

second that one Tim.  I did a test when I got home yesterday cos I had the grump with the crap light etc, so did a quick test against my 70-200 2.8 V II.  

(in the muddy light that sucks, I've never been happy with what I've seen.  canon 500 F4 IS.   500 AF-S II.   not soft light.. the light that sucks IQ out.... I was there yesterday and went straight into a comparison test for sharpness when I got home and the light where I lived was sparkling.    the Sigma easily matched the 70-200... FYI when I got home, light was sparkling.. as it had been all day.  when I shot the deer. only 50 miles away,  aka crap... 

Politely,  a quick test side by side in a shop won't do.  got zero chance.  

this is my bench mark and what I wanted to get to yesterday.   (formula for my happiness being a shot some 40 m away with backlighting and  a bg far enough away for the bokeh to work..   yesterday, that was a million miles away!!!    granted this is processed and sharpened but there is quite  a difference in the image sharpness on a good light file before processing, compared with the above which I did find frustrating.  

NSN00525

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:50 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I'm not going to test the lenses in the shop. I will do a quick fine tune of the Sigma at 600mm with FoCal on my laptop (naturally I won't have the time or the ability to do the dock system calibration) and then take them to a nearby park where there are pigeons and ducks to shoot. There's no other way to do it, because there is no way I can, or will, purchase a lens before I can test it out. I am not as lucky as some people who get equipment loaned or given to them to demo. ;)

by david fletcher on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:56 pm
david fletcher
guys, there is not much I should add now. I've given input to highlight and help; based no my own experience to date, i think this lens is great on a bean bag. awkward on a Gitzo as the foot space is poor.. (how I wish the prats that designed the lens actually use it!!).

sorry to the "prats", but for crikes sake, did they not even think to test it on the likely hood that a user would use a Gimbal at some time!. How many people may not buy the lens on that basis, bar for a simple design adjustment.

regarding the most important quality, the IQ, I'v been very happy.

regarding bokeh, as that is dependent upon the subject distance, light quality and the distance between subject and bg, to date, this lens is ok for me.

NSN00525

by Mark Picard on Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:28 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:guys,  there is not much I should add now.  I've given input to highlight and help;   based no my own experience to date, i think this lens is great on a bean bag.  awkward on a Gitzo as the foot space is poor.. (how I wish the prats that designed the lens actually use it!!).  

sorry to the "prats", but for crikes sake, did they not even think to test it on the likely hood that a user would use a Gimbal at some time!.     How many people may not buy the lens on that basis, bar for a simple design adjustment.

regarding the most important quality, the IQ, I'v been very happy.  

regarding bokeh, as that is dependent upon the subject distance, light quality and the distance between subject and bg, to date, this lens is ok for me.
I've had my copy of the Sigma S (complete USB Dock calibrated too)(a pain but worth the effort) for awhile now, and I too love it. I don't have the extended Sigma foot, but I did attach a long RRS plate for now. The lens balances terribly on the Wimberely Gimbal when switching focal lengths though. So I experimented a bit and switched the Wimberely out to the RRS B-55. I found that I can get a really good balance suitable for all the focal ranges with the B-55 by precisely tightening the tension knob so that it does not flop and stays where you put it, but is still loose enough to maneuver quickly to change when following moving subjects. When done with the shooting sequence I can remove my hands from the camera without worry it will crash and flop at any focal length. You will have to have that tension knob (above the panning knob but NOT the large knob above) set perfectly for that to work right.) It only takes 15 seconds to get the right tension). In addition to the Wimberely, the B-55 is a wonderful, well machined and designed piece of equipment.  When I use to have my Nikon 600mm VR lens, only the Wimberely could do the job- - the B-55 couldn't hold a candle to the Wimberely. But this variable length Sigma is different animal altogether, and the RRS B-55 is the answer for me.

Mark Picard

128 posts |