« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 128 posts | 
by Vertigo on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:30 pm
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
I would be surprised that even the S version is a real, 100%, 600mm, at all focus distances.

Regarding programmability of the C version, it was my understanding also that it is not as programmable as the S version, however at the DP, Bryan presents it as programmable (scroll down to "Sigma Global Vision and the Dock")
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... -Lens.aspx
And the lens barrel has the "custom" switch, so I don't know what to think.

Regardless of the above, EJ, as you have the S version, did you try the custom focus limiter for some BIF shots already ?

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:30 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Vertigo wrote:I would be surprised that even the S version is a real, 100%, 600mm, at all focus distances.

Regarding programmability of the C version, it was my understanding also that it is not as programmable as the S version, however at the DP, Bryan presents it as programmable (scroll down to "Sigma Global Vision and the Dock")

Regardless of the above, EJ, as you have the S version, did you try the custom focus limiter for some BIF shots already ?
It's not and I cover that in my review.  Virtually no zoom is due to focus breathing.  Even many fixed focal length lenses aren't.  but the point is that the Contemporary lens physically can not be both f/6.3 and 600mm at any focus distance.

As I wrote in the review, my testing on BIF has been limited so far.

Thanks for that link, it looks like the C lens does have many of the customization features that the S has.

by david fletcher on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:11 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Vertigo wrote:I would be surprised that even the S version is a real, 100%, 600mm, at all focus distances.

It's not and I cover that in my review.  Virtually no zoom is due to focus breathing.  

Dreadful review EJ!  :D   A direct consequence after reading, digesting for a few days, looking at the following comments etc, is that my wallet is now lighter and an S version sits next to me as I write. 

It took quite a bit of "getting out of my fixed thinking of must have a FF 500 F4", and I will be interested in how it pans out, but I can see the benefits in range, flexibility and if the IQ stands up to my own tastes and expectations, maybe there lies the future. 

At worst case, if I need a lens for BIF that is more "manageable", I can always add a 300 PF for example. 

However, I have the feeling that for the image size reproductions and web shots I predominantly work at, I won't see a difference anyway. 
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:58 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
david fletcher wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:

It's not and I cover that in my review.  Virtually no zoom is due to focus breathing.  

Dreadful review EJ!  :D   A direct consequence after reading, digesting for a few days, looking at the following comments etc, is that my wallet is now lighter and an S version sits next to me as I write. 

It took quite a bit of "getting out of my fixed thinking of must have a FF 500 F4", and I will be interested in how it pans out, but I can see the benefits in range, flexibility and if the IQ stands up to my own tastes and expectations, maybe there lies the future. 

At worst case, if I need a lens for BIF that is more "manageable", I can always add a 300 PF for example. 

However, I have the feeling that for the image size reproductions and web shots I predominantly work at, I won't see a difference anyway. 
ROFLOL - I'm sorry! :D

Make sure you do a really thorough job of focus cal and you should be pretty pleased with the results.

by david fletcher on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:40 am
david fletcher
USB dock here. so I will look forward to calibrating.  (naturally, I'll treat this lens as if I were using it always as a 500-600 plus with appropriate support, so am expecting at least my long lens technique not to screw up it's IQ).

Found this.

wolf

and this.

Grosbeak

(Hawfinch to me, but using author's description).  

NSN00525

by Vertigo on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:10 pm
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
The juzaforum site has a research function for images shot with a given lens, and there are indeed many great shots with the "S". You have to be registered though. FYI, Also many shots with the 400 DOII, that are hard to find elsewhere.

by Mark Picard on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:06 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
So I've been away from any internet for a week while shooting up in the North Woods of Maine and I get back to Naturescapes to see that E.J. has done a lens review on the Sigma 150-600mm "S" lens after I pre-ordered (Nikon) it two weeks ago! God, I was quite nervous but sat down and dug into the review to see that E.J. actually liked it! I am a happy camper and can't wait to get it! I also ordered the usb dock which I have here waiting for the lens. For now I ordered the RRS MPR-113 lens foot to at least get me up and running until the Sigma lens foot is available.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:37 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I would love to hear back from you guys who bought this lens, once you have owned and used it for awhile. You will probably think I am crazy, but I am contemplating selling my Nikon 500 VR and replacing it with this lens. There are pros and cons to both, but I am thinking that the pros might outweigh the cons for my needs.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Tim Zurowski wrote:I would love to hear back from you guys who bought this lens, once you have owned and used it for awhile. You will probably think I am crazy, but I am contemplating selling my Nikon 500 VR and replacing it with this lens. There are pros and cons to both, but I am thinking that the pros might outweigh the cons for my needs.
I hear you Tim and have thought the same but the biggest con is that it doesn't have the reach of a 500 or 600 with 1.4x and even with a 1.4x the super teles are still a bit faster at f/5.6 and 700 or 840mm compared to 600 and f/6.3 which is really more like f/6.7 with the transmission losses.  And as such, the AF isn't quite as fast.  If you can live with those things then yes, it's a viable option.  I'm not sure yet that I can but will assess that through this winter when the birds come back :)

by Gary Irwin on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:18 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the detailed report E.J. I'm intrigued but put-off by the effort required to fine-tune it. For now I'll hang onto my 80-400G (which requires no calibration on my D810) until/when Sigma simplify the calibration process, then I might consider it.
Gary Likes Nature.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:52 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Gary Irwin wrote:Thanks for the detailed report E.J. I'm intrigued but put-off by the effort required to fine-tune it. For now I'll hang onto my 80-400G (which requires no calibration on my D810) until/when Sigma simplify the calibration process, then I might consider it.
If you are one of the very few that has a 80-400 that truly is optimal with no adjustment, it is still apples to oranges since you can only calibrate it at a single focal length and single shooting distance.  Which means at the very best, that one adjustment is good for that distance and focal length but is a mediocre compromise for other focal lengths and shooting distances.  You could do that with the Sigma as well - just go to 30 meters at 600mm and do the calibration using the in camera adjustments.  But Sigma gives you the possibility for calibrating the lens at multiple focal lengths and shooting distances which, if it were available for your 80-400 would also allow that lens to perform better across the entire spectrum of shooting regimes.

by david fletcher on Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:23 am
david fletcher
Whilst I haven't had time to do a proper lens calibration via the usb doc, which I'll do on my next day off;  I did have a little play today.  AF speed faster than my old 500 AF-S II, and extremely quiet.  snaps in real quick.  did -17 on the D7100 body at the 600 end which seems about right, (but will do the job properly on Tuesday at various focal lengths and distance settings to get the best from this lens).  

Light extremely poor today and am on 6400 ISO at 4pm UK time so am not going to see it in its best but what I did shoot is crisp and sharp.

Have ordered a lens coat as the variant I did get hold of from the UK is not as good as the proper lens coats:  (UK version has a large rear cover that covers the tripod collar, unlike the lens coats that have separate sections for that area).

not a fantastic shot as was just playing and the birds are quite infrequent visitors today.  

techs are 1/320 F8.  Iso 6400.  -0.3 ev.  (in the exif data).  bean bag from window

NSN00525

Last edited by david fletcher on Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Gary Irwin on Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:33 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Well maybe I do have a good copy...all I know is that all of my 80-400G images are sharp (though all of my subjects are shot at short range). I checked it at 400mm using lens align and it required no adjustment at all -- but then again I never worry about a few points one way or another.
Gary Likes Nature.

by Vertigo on Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:33 am
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
The bokeh seems quite good, reminds me of the old sigma 300/4 APO I had.

by david fletcher on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:05 am
david fletcher
focus calibration complete.   initially looked poor at 150, and razor sharp at 400 and 600mm.  150 needed -14 and now crisp.   worth the time as I now know its spot on.  Under the spot light it is pleasingly sharp at all focal lengths, with no signs of that changing at the long end:  (at least on my copy).

guessing a repeat exercise for the D800 now... I guess I'll find out soon enough EJ, but does the Sigma dock store the data for each camera when  it's rewriting.  Thanks

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
david fletcher wrote:focus calibration complete.   initially looked poor at 150, and razor sharp at 400 and 600mm.  150 needed -14 and now crisp.   worth the time as I now know its spot on.  Under the spot light it is pleasingly sharp at all focal lengths, with no signs of that changing at the long end:  (at least on my copy).

guessing a repeat exercise for the D800 now... I guess I'll find out soon enough EJ, but does the Sigma dock store the data for each camera when  it's rewriting.  Thanks
No, how could it?  Remember that the dock is writing the info into the firmware of the lens, not putting an offset into the camera.

BUT....  all you will need to do on your D800 is to adjust the AF Fine tune in the camera at 600mm and it should be good at the other focal lengths.  The dock calibrated the lens at all focal lengths and shooting distances to the exact distances in your first camera.  The calibration to another camera is much easier since you have already taken care of the lens variances in your initial calibration.  So the only thing left on a new camera is that camera's tolerances which you will adjust by adjusting the AFFT value in the camera.

by Vertigo on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:52 am
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
If adjustment at various focal lengths is a lens-only variance, then you're doing sigma's QC job, aren't you ?

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:30 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Vertigo wrote:If adjustment at various focal lengths is a lens-only variance, then you're doing sigma's QC job, aren't you ?
Isn't that the case with all focus fine tuning regardless of manufacturer ;)

by david fletcher on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:08 am
david fletcher
E.J. Peiker wrote:
david fletcher wrote:focus calibration complete.   initially looked poor at 150, and razor sharp at 400 and 600mm.  150 needed -14 and now crisp.   worth the time as I now know its spot on.  Under the spot light it is pleasingly sharp at all focal lengths, with no signs of that changing at the long end:  (at least on my copy).

No, how could it?  Remember that the dock is writing the info into the firmware of the lens, not putting an offset into the camera.

BUT....  all you will need to do on your D800 is to adjust the AF Fine tune in the camera at 600mm and it should be good at the other focal lengths.  The dock calibrated the lens at all focal lengths and shooting distances to the exact distances in your first camera.  The calibration to another camera is much easier since you have already taken care of the lens variances in your initial calibration.  So the only thing left on a new camera is that camera's tolerances which you will adjust by adjusting the AFFT value in the camera.
thanks for that info.    :).  (did that earlier, but had a guilty feeling of taking a shortcut...lol).  

NSN00525

by Vertigo on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:29 am
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Vertigo wrote:If adjustment at various focal lengths is a lens-only variance, then you're doing sigma's QC job, aren't you ?
Isn't that the case with all focus fine tuning regardless of manufacturer ;)
True. 
My point is that Sigma's approach to thorough MFA is good in a way, because it lets you take control if you are an expert, and have a lot of time to fiddle with the dock.
But on the other hand, it means they can't even sell you a zoom lens that, out of the box, projects the image on the same sensor plane, for various distances and focal lengths.  Food for thought.

128 posts |