Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by WDCarrier on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:35 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
[font=Calibri]On a recent trip to Costa Rica one of the photographers had a Think Tank Airport International rolling camera bag that impressed me as it seemed more appropriate than my backpack with clothes packed all around my gear.  When I got home I looked it up but found it was almost $400 so I decided it was beyond my financial scope.[/font]
[font=Calibri]This December I was shopping in Costco and noted they had a Samsonite Carry-on roller case that was the same size and outside quality as the Think Tank case w/o the separators for the photo equipment (it also came with a very nice day-pack as an extra).  It was $99 so I bought it, brought it home and fitted it with padded separators my wife sewed for me.  We bought the padding and material from Ebay and JoAnn’s for about $30.  It’s definitely equal to the Think Tank case, even a bit better as it has a padded front pocket that fits my laptop.  I have the 500mm, 100-400mm, 2 bodies, ball head, and binoculars in mine and with the laptop it’s right at 30 pounds and there’s enough space to lay on a change of clothes and toothbrush in case my check-on bag doesn’t arrive.  I do have to put my gimbal head in the check-in bag but have the ball had as a back-up.  I can bring all the smaller stuff (batteries, wide-angle lens, etc.) in my shoulder bag (considered a “personal item” as it fits under the seat.)  I carry my tripod on and have yet to have anyone challenge me about it.[/font]
[font=Calibri]On smaller planes, or one very crowded, they have asked me to leave my carry-on at the door and I get it back when I exit.  As it’s already been scanned, I can lock it so no one can open it.[/font]
[font=Calibri]Just thought I’d pass it on as it saved me about $230 plus postage[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by Mike in O on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:52 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Good idea...won't go over though, photographers think only expensive is good. LOL

by EGrav on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:27 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
That's exactly what I did except that I used TrekPak for the dividers. Great protection but thinner than padding. Also, can be changed if I bring different gear. Cost $75.

( http://trekpak.com/rollipak/ )

by Ed1946 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:22 pm
Ed1946
Forum Contributor
Nice set up. Lets us know how well the wheels, retracting handle and zippers hold up after a few trips.

by EGrav on Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:22 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Ed1946 wrote:Nice set up.  Lets us know how well the wheels, retracting handle and zippers hold up after a few trips.

I've been using mine for more than 4 years. No problem.
body{zoom:123%!important;}

by Lerkes on Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:48 pm
Lerkes
Lifetime Member
Member #:00178
I've done it that way for many years with a Costco roller bag. It's been on many flights and held up well. I use my clothes to pad the bodies and lenses.
Steven J Berkowitz, VMD
Kirkwood, PA
http://www.pbase.com/lerkes

by WDCarrier on Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:53 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Good idea...won't go over though, photographers think only expensive is good.  LOL

Okay.  Be happy to make you one for $400.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by Neilyb on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:28 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Have to agree that photography bags are priced ridiculously high, especially considering that Samsonite are very good at making baggage and charge far less (maybe there is no extra Velcro padding, but hey I have a room full of it).

by baldsparrow on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:04 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
I have tried something like this too ... and it's fine for the flight but what do you do when you get where you are going and have to carry the gear around? You still need your padded backpack or whatever with you so it might as well carry your gear for the flight too. At least, that's the conclusion i came to.

9 posts |