Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Brian Sugden on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:16 am
Brian Sugden
Forum Contributor
I've been asked to submit an original RAW file for one of my entries in this years Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition.  However, the rules state 'DNG files are only permitted if DNG is the native RAW format of the camera'.  I use Lightroom and convert the files to DNG when I download them.  I have since been told that if I've converted my original file to DNG, but embedded the original RAW in the DNG during this process, I'll be able to extract it and submit it as proof of authenticity.

How do I find out whether the original RAW file is embedded and if it is how do I extract it?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Regards,

Brian Sugden

by chrissandys27 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:58 am
chrissandys27
Forum Contributor
My understanding is that firstly you will have needed to check the option Embed Original Raw File in Adobe DNG Preferences when you did the conversions. Assuming you did that, open the DNG Converter....click on Extract....in Extract Originals Select the Folder containing the DNG file(s) you wish to extract the originals from and the folder you wish to extract them to and then click Extract. Hope this works.
Chris Sandys

by Jens Peermann on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:00 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
There is no legitimate reason for a competition to ask for the original RAW file. I'd think twice before sending them the ultimate proof of ownership to the image.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Brian Sugden on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:03 am
Brian Sugden
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your response Chris. I've confirmed that I've embedded the original RAW file, but when I open 'Convert Photo to DNG' there is no Extract option in Lightroom. I can't find an 'Extract' option anywhere.

by chrissandys27 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:06 am
chrissandys27
Forum Contributor
Brian Sugden wrote:Thanks for your response Chris.  I've confirmed that I've embedded the original RAW file, but when I open 'Convert Photo to DNG' there is no Extract option in Lightroom.  I can't find an 'Extract' option anywhere.
Hi Brian

The Extract command is in the stand alone DNG converter which you need to open in  order to extract the original RAW file from the DNG

Chris
Chris Sandys

by Brian Sugden on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:11 am
Brian Sugden
Forum Contributor
Thanks Jens and Chris. This is the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition organised by the Natural History Museum. After the winner was disqualified a few years ago for cheating they have tightened the rules.

I've downloaded Adobe DNG Converter and extracted the embedded file. Thanks once again for your help.

6 posts |