« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by amullis on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:37 pm
amullis
Forum Contributor
I came across this story tonight and wanted to pass it along. It seems that some "photographers" are using GoPro cameras and bird call apps on the smart phone to try and get closer to the birds at Ding Darling NWR, Sanibel Island, Florida.

Probably 99.99% of us on this site know this stuff is illegal and causes the birds to alter their behavior (A NO-NO!). I do all of my bird photography from behind a 400mm lens. Sometimes even through the truck window to avoid disturbing the "residents".

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/28064808/shutter-bugs-may-be-getting-too-close-to-nature#.VNrMXt90zRZ
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:22 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
They're only noticing this now?  I would think the use of bird app calls would be so common these days.  Mind you, there are places where the use of electronic bird calls is not permitted.  I do not know if it is official or just a guideline but think Point Pelee is such a place.  A conservation area on Ile Perrot near Montreal is another.  I have heard stories of people using calls at such places and then getting admonished when caught. 
Topic Locked  

by Don Nelson on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:20 pm
Don Nelson
Forum Contributor
Photographers aren't the only ones using bird call apps to get a closer look.
I've noted several birder groups using such calls to bring a bird in closer. Occurs on and off refuges - and is NOT limited to photographers or wanna-be photographers.

Next thing that will be noticed is the use of drones to get close to birds. I've seen this already in Washington with someone using a drone to get closer to an eagle perched in a tall tree (not on any refuge).
Topic Locked  

by Tom Reichner on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:41 pm
Tom Reichner
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:  Mind you, there are places where the use of electronic bird calls is not permitted.   
I don't believe it is legal to use any animal or bird calls in any national park or national wildlife refuge in the U.S.
Wildlife photographed in the wild

http://www.tomreichner.com/Wildlife
Topic Locked  

by photoman4343 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:00 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Here is a link to the American Birding Association's Code of Ethics. It addresses part of these concerns:

http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

Joe Smith
Joe Smith
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:40 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Tom Reichner wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:  Mind you, there are places where the use of electronic bird calls is not permitted.   
I don't believe it is legal to use any animal or bird calls in any national park or national wildlife refuge in the U.S.

Here is a funny story from Point Pelee.  Apparently it is OK if you can vocalize a bird call.  Some birders will imitate the call of an eastern screech owl and what this does is make the birds pop up from the grass to have a look.  Is it permitted to imitate a bird call with your own vocal cord in these same parks?
Topic Locked  

by Gary Briney on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:40 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
OntPhoto wrote:
Tom Reichner wrote:

Here is a funny story from Point Pelee.  Apparently it is OK if you can vocalize a bird call.  Some birders will imitate the call of an eastern screech owl and what this does is make the birds pop up from the grass to have a look.  Is it permitted to imitate a bird call with your own vocal cord in these same parks?
NWR Rules & Regulations: "... 50 CFR 27.51 prohibits disturbing and attempting to disturb wildlife on any national wildlife refuge..." In the broadest interpretation of the rule, imitating a bird call vocally could be disturbing wildlife. In all likelihood, it's subject to local intrepretation.
G. Briney
Topic Locked  

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:22 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This clearly belongs in the ethics forum and has been moved...
Topic Locked  

by Gary Briney on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:22 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Good point!
G. Briney
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:16 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Gary Briney wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Tom Reichner wrote:

NWR Rules & Regulations: "... 50 CFR 27.51 prohibits disturbing and attempting to disturb wildlife on any national wildlife refuge..." In the broadest interpretation of the rule, imitating a bird call vocally could be disturbing wildlife. In all likelihood, it's subject to local intrepretation.

I suppose if you go by the letter of the law.  One person who used the vocal screech owl call got called out by another birder who threatened to report him to the park office.  Not sure whatever became of it. 
Topic Locked  

10 posts |