Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 89 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:15 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
JScott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Mark Picard wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:I bring this subject up because others keep bringing it up (not necessarily here but on other sites) and I want to have a place for a balanced discussion on the subject (forget about doing that on the other birding related sites where it is pretty much one-sided, emotionally driven and not always backed by any facts scientific or otherwise). I am not taking sides on this matter as I see the pros and cons for both. I strive to have a balanced view.
You haven't answered Scott's last post - do you personally bait Owls?

I have already stated many times that I am neither for nor against.  If you join in to photograph an owl when it is baited it is the same thing to me.  I have already expressed what I do in such situations.  Go and re-read my posts on this matter. I have also stated that it is a personal decision each one must decide for themselves.  Having said that, I followed a family of barred owls at a nest over two seasons and never fed them.  I had a northern hawk owl all to myself for most of a winter and never fed it.  I have seen numbers of eastern screech owls and saw-whet owls over the years and never fed them.  I followed a long-eared owl family for a season and never fed them. I followed a great-horned owl family (no one else was ever around) last year and in years past and never fed them. I never fed any of the great gray owls when they irrupted here 2 winters ago. Many others were doing it and I along with many others benefitted as a result. It's pretty much the same thing. I haven't fed any snowy owls this winter. Is this something to brag about?  No.  To each their own.  There is also a time and place for everything.  There may be situations that come up when I will need to rethink.  Don't hold me to anything. There is a time and place for everything.  But I have participated in taking photos of owls when others are doing it. To me this is pretty much the same thing. This thread is not about whether you bait or not.  You can have an intelligent discussion about the subject regardless.  Some are pro and others are anti and others do not care either way.  I take no sides.  To each their own has always been my view on this.  It is not for me to dictate to someone else what they should do.  But maybe one day it becomes illegal to do so (highly unlikely up here but anything's possible).  I would not miss it for a second.  I do not have a personal stake in the matter.  I do not make any money on owls in flight.

We can get into all sorts of side discussions on feeding owls, killing mammals for food, for sport or for their fur.  Do you eat meat?  Isn't that a selfish activity to sacrifice an animal to satisfy your own cravings?  And does the fact that someone else does the killing for you so you do not have to see it and do it yourself make it any less objectionable?  Do you trap mice in your home and know they can die a long and horrible death?  Why is mice in your basement any less different than mice raised for feeding reptiles, raptors, owls and lab use?  Are mice and rats in your basement or even lab mice less deserving of humane treatment?  It is a slippery slope.  Are there any right or wrong answers?  To each their own I say.
You initiated the post so I think it's fair to ask if you bait owls or not. Your answer is basically a dodge. It only requires a yes or no answer. It can be painful sitting on the fence after a while. lol 
So Yes, or No?
Yes, I initiated the post on yet another blog on baiting.  And your point is?  What, the discussion makes you uncomfortable?  Why?  I am open to new opinions.  I do not take offence to negative or positive viewpoints.  Although I may have heard arguments for and against over the years doesn't mean I can't learn something new.  I have already stated my opinion.  Re-read what I wrote.  There is no dodge.  Scott, do you bait owls?  

Last edited by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:06 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
OntPhoto wrote:
JScott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Mark Picard wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:I bring this subject up because others keep bringing it up (not necessarily here but on other sites) and I want to have a place for a balanced discussion on the subject (forget about doing that on the other birding related sites where it is pretty much one-sided, emotionally driven and not always backed by any facts scientific or otherwise). I am not taking sides on this matter as I see the pros and cons for both. I strive to have a balanced view.

I have already stated many times that I am neither for nor against.  If you join in to photograph an owl when it is baited it is the same thing to me.  I have already expressed what I do in such situations.  Go and re-read my posts on this matter. I have also stated that it is a personal decision each one must decide for themselves.  Having said that, I followed a family of barred owls at a nest over two seasons and never fed them.  I had a northern hawk owl all to myself for most of a winter and never fed it.  I have seen numbers of eastern screech owls and saw-whet owls over the years and never fed them.  I followed a long-eared owl family for a season and never fed them. I followed a great-horned owl family (no one else was ever around) last year and in years past and never fed them. I never fed any of the great gray owls when they irrupted here 2 winters ago. Many others were doing it and I along with many others benefitted as a result. It's pretty much the same thing. I haven't fed any snowy owls this winter. Is this something to brag about?  No.  To each their own.  There is also a time and place for everything.  There may be situations that come up when I will need to rethink.  Don't hold me to anything. There is a time and place for everything.  But I have participated in taking photos of owls when others are doing it. To me this is pretty much the same thing. This thread is not about whether you bait or not.  You can have an intelligent discussion about the subject regardless.  Some are pro and others are anti and others do not care either way.  I take no sides.  To each their own has always been my view on this.  It is not for me to dictate to someone else what they should do.  But maybe one day it becomes illegal to do so (highly unlikely up here but anything's possible).  I would not miss it for a second.  I do not have a personal stake in the matter.  I do not make any money on owls in flight.

We can get into all sorts of side discussions on feeding owls, killing mammals for food, for sport or for their fur.  Do you eat meat?  Isn't that a selfish activity to sacrifice an animal to satisfy your own cravings?  And does the fact that someone else does the killing for you so you do not have to see it and do it yourself make it any less objectionable?  Do you trap mice in your home and know they can die a long and horrible death?  Why is mice in your basement any less different than mice raised for feeding reptiles, raptors, owls and lab use?  Are mice and rats in your basement or even lab mice less deserving of humane treatment?  It is a slippery slope.  Are there any right or wrong answers?  To each their own I say.
You initiated the post so I think it's fair to ask if you bait owls or not. Your answer is basically a dodge. It only requires a yes or no answer. It can be painful sitting on the fence after a while. lol 
So Yes, or No?
Yes, I initiated the post on yet another blog on baiting.  And your point is?  What, the discussion makes you uncomfortable?  Why?  I have already stated my opinion.  Re-read what I wrote.  There is no dodge.  Scott, do you bait owls?  
Your putting words in my mouth. There is nothing about this discussion that makes me uncomfortable. It is obvious by your refusal to answer a simple question that you feel uncomfortable about it. Asking me if I do is another way of dodging the question. If you're afraid to answer it, or don't want to for some reason such as you do bait , but don't want others to know that you do, well that's fine as well. Just say you don't want to answer the question and be done with it. There have been several people post their answer in this discussion that you started, it seems natural that you should state whether you do as well.

by Mark Picard on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:33 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Ontphoto wrote:  

We can get into all sorts of side discussions on feeding owls, killing mammals for food, for sport or for their fur.  Do you eat meat?  Isn't that a selfish activity to sacrifice an animal to satisfy your own cravings?  And does the fact that someone else does the killing for you so you do not have to see it and do it yourself make it any less objectionable?  Do you trap mice in your home and know they can die a long and horrible death?  Why is mice in your basement any less different than mice raised for feeding reptiles, raptors, owls and lab use?  Are mice and rats in your basement or even lab mice less deserving of humane treatment?  It is a slippery slope.  Are there any right or wrong answers?  To each their own I say. - See more at: http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/post ... Uiccj.dpuf

Yes, I do eat meat. What the hell has this got to do with baiting Owls? Feeding yourself to survive to you is the same thing as feeding an Owl a mouse to take a photo? If I had mice in my house (I have had them in previous homes) I would "Have a heart" trap them and put them outside (which I used to do). You just aren't grasping the concept that you're killing a animal JUST for the sole purpose of getting a photograph. That's just totally disrespectful of the animal kingdom in my opinion. If you told me you were trapping mice to feed your family I would totally get it - for a photo - sorry I think it's wrong, which is my own opinion.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:53 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mark Picard wrote:Ontphoto wrote:  

We can get into all sorts of side discussions on feeding owls, killing mammals for food, for sport or for their fur.  Do you eat meat?  Isn't that a selfish activity to sacrifice an animal to satisfy your own cravings?  And does the fact that someone else does the killing for you so you do not have to see it and do it yourself make it any less objectionable?  Do you trap mice in your home and know they can die a long and horrible death?  Why is mice in your basement any less different than mice raised for feeding reptiles, raptors, owls and lab use?  Are mice and rats in your basement or even lab mice less deserving of humane treatment?  It is a slippery slope.  Are there any right or wrong answers?  To each their own I say. - See more at: http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/post ... Uiccj.dpuf

Yes, I do eat meat. What the hell has this got to do with baiting Owls? Feeding yourself to survive to you is the same thing as feeding an Owl a mouse to take a photo? If I had mice in my house (I have had them in previous homes) I would "Have a heart" trap them and put them outside (which I used to do). You just aren't grasping the concept that you're killing a animal JUST for the sole purpose of getting a photograph. That's just totally disrespectful of the animal kingdom in my opinion. If you told me you were trapping mice to feed your family I would totally get it - for a photo - sorry I think it's wrong, which is my own opinion.
The objection by many seems to be the killing of a living creature.  You will have folks who are anti-hunting.  Vegetarians do not eat meat. They seem to be doing ok.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:59 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
And?

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:41 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
JScott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Mark Picard wrote:

So Yes, or No?
Yes, I initiated the post on yet another blog on baiting.  And your point is?  What, the discussion makes you uncomfortable?  Why?  I have already stated my opinion.  Re-read what I wrote.  There is no dodge.  Scott, do you bait owls?  
Your putting words in my mouth. There is nothing about this discussion that makes me uncomfortable. It is obvious by your refusal to answer a simple question that you feel uncomfortable about it. Asking me if I do is another way of dodging the question. If you're afraid to answer it, or don't want to for some reason such as you do bait , but don't want others to know that you do, well that's fine as well. Just say you don't want to answer the question and be done with it. There have been several people post their answer in this discussion that you started, it seems natural that you should state whether you do as well.
So you're upset about this thread?  Why?  I know you do not like the thread.  Not uncomfortable?  Not happy.  What is the opposite of happy?  You're unhappy?  Why?  That is your perogative.  And you did not answer my question.  Not that you have to.  And it wouldn't make a difference any way on having a dicussion about about what someone wrote on the subject of baiting.  

Last edited by OntPhoto on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

by Mark Picard on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:52 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Man, you are a weird duck....
Mark Picard

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:56 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mark Picard wrote:Man, you are a weird duck....
Anyone who doesn't agree with you is a weird duck eh?  All I'm trying to point out is we can all justify why what we do is ok but what someone else does is not.  

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:12 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto  Nothing bout this discussion that makes me uncomfortable. It is obvious by your refusal to answer a simple question that you feel uncomfortable about it. Asking me if I do is another way of dodging the question. If you're afraid to answer it, or don't want to for some reason such as you do bait , but don't want others to know that you do, well that's fine as well. Just say you don't want to answer the question and be done with it. There have been several people post their answer in this discussion that you started, it seems natural that you should state whether you do as well. wrote:So you're upset about this thread?  Why?  I know you do not like the thread.  Not uncomfortable?  Not happy.  What is the opposite of happy?  You're unhappy?  Why?  That is your perogative.  And you did not answer my question.  Not that you have to.  And it wouldn't make a difference any way on having a dicussion about about what someone wrote on the subject of baiting.  
Who said I was upset? I just think it serves no purpose as you bring it up for discussion every year and it's the same thing.
You're still dodging my simple question. Do you bait owls? I fail to understand why you are avoiding the question. You obviously have a big interest in the subject so do you or don't you?

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:16 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto  Nothing bout this discussion that makes me uncomfortable. It is obvious by your refusal to answer a simple question that you feel uncomfortable about it. Asking me if I do is another way of dodging the question. If you're afraid to answer it, or don't want to for some reason such as you do bait , but don't want others to know that you do, well that's fine as well. Just say you don't want to answer the question and be done with it. There have been several people post their answer in this discussion that you started, it seems natural that you should state whether you do as well. wrote:So you're upset about this thread?  Why?  I know you do not like the thread.  Not uncomfortable?  Not happy.  What is the opposite of happy?  You're unhappy?  Why?  That is your perogative.  And you did not answer my question.  Not that you have to.  And it wouldn't make a difference any way on having a dicussion about about what someone wrote on the subject of baiting.  
Who said I was upset? I just think it serves no purpose as you bring it up for discussion every year and it's the same thing.
You're still dodging my simple question. Do you bait owls? I fail to understand why you are avoiding the question. You obviously have a big interest in the subject so do you or don't you?
You obviously do not see that discussions on baiting serves any purpose.  Others may.  Are you deciding for them?  Do you bait owls?

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:23 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
You obviously do not see that discussions on baiting serves any purpose.  Others may.  Are you deciding for them?  Do you bait owls?
I'm just saying it's well known and heavily discussed. Why do you dodge answering my question, are you hiding something?

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:28 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
I'm just saying it's well known and heavily discussed. Why do you dodge answering my question, are you hiding something?
So are many other controversial type subjects.  Somone always brings up a new way to look at it.  Do yiou bait owls? Are you for or against baiting? 

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:34 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
So are many other controversial type subjects.  Somone always brings up a new way to look at it.  Do yiou bait owls? Are you for or against baiting? 

I'll answer the question for you. Yes, you bait owls.

by Mark Picard on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:57 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Ontphoto  - When you compare being a Carnivore to live baiting Owls for the sole purpose of obtaining photographs like you do, YES, I think you're a weird duck! 
Mark Picard

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:41 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

See my response to what I have been doing regarding feeding of owls.  You may have been talking about many years ago when you and Robert McCaw http://robertmccaw.com/ would show up.  I foget if it was you with the mice?  

I have run into you over the years and forget if you were bringing mice.  If you want to go way back years ago when eveyone was doing it.  My preference is not to feed but I can understand those who do.  I was having this very same conversation with someone on the weekend.  I basically told the guy that I really don't want to do it and prefer not to.  As mentioned, see what my prederence is with all the owl encounters have mentioned.  I am neither for nor against.  

Last edited by OntPhoto on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:45 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mark Picard wrote:Ontphoto  - When you compare being a Carnivore to live baiting Owls for the sole purpose of obtaining photographs like you do, YES, I think you're a weird duck! 
We can always try and justify why what we do is ok and what others do is not.  Well, as for me, when others are feeding owls I will still continue to take photos of the owls.  

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:09 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

See my response to what I have been doing regarding feeding of owls.  You may have been talking about many years ago when you and Robert McCaw would show up.  I foget if it was you with the mice?  I have run into you over the years and forget if you were bringing mice.  If you want to go way back years ago when eveyone was doing it.  My preference is not to feed but I can understand those who do.  I was having this very same conversation with someone on the weekend.  I basically told the guy that I really don't want to do it and prefer not to.  As mentioned, see what my prederence is with all the owl encounters have mentioned.  I am neither for nor against.  

I don't remember now, I do remember you putting a mouse out and then retrieving it once the owl flew towards it.

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:21 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

See my response to what I have been doing regarding feeding of owls.  You may have been talking about many years ago when you and Robert McCaw would show up.  I foget if it was you with the mice?  I have run into you over the years and forget if you were bringing mice.  If you want to go way back years ago when eveyone was doing it.  My preference is not to feed but I can understand those who do.  I was having this very same conversation with someone on the weekend.  I basically told the guy that I really don't want to do it and prefer not to.  As mentioned, see what my prederence is with all the owl encounters have mentioned.  I am neither for nor against.  

I don't remember now, I do remember you putting a mouse out and then retrieving it once the owl flew towards it.
I remember now.  You or your buddy said you had picked up some mice before dropping by the Casselman area.  A slective memory?  You must have been talking ay back in 2008.  Whqt was that, some 8 years ago?  Back then just about everyone was feeding owls there.  

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:32 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

I remember now.  You or your buddy said you had picked up some mice before dropping by the Casselman area.  A slective memory?  You must have been talking ay back in 2008.  Whqt was that, some 8 years ago?  Back then just about everyone was feeding owls there.  
Could be, but why are you afraid to admit that you bait owls? I'm curious. Very strange to initiate controversial posts and then avoid admitting that you do it yourself.

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:30 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

Could be, but why are you afraid to admit that you bait owls? I'm curious. Very strange to initiate controversial posts and then avoid admitting that you do it yourself.
You never answered if you bait owls.  What are you hiding?  And your friend?  Have you both done it this year?  I don't know, just inquiring. I haven't. Out with it Scott.  And last winter were you baiting at all?  

Although I don't really care one way or another what people do, there are some who are into baiting that wish threads and discussions like this never happen.  Why?  Because it shines a spotlight on the subject and they'd prefer it go away.  They hear enough flack from birders and to see it brought up in forums like this must just remind them of that. That is why they prefer threads like this never existed.  This isn't a pro or anti baiting forum.  Although the subject is controversial, level headed discussions can take place.  Trying to bully your way thru a thread like this isn't going to make the topic go away.  Rather than make accusations hoping it would distract people away from the subject, why not read what others have to say on the matter.  If you disagree, so be it.  This subject isn't going away any time soon.  Some interesting threads locally as well on this.  You'd figure everyone has done talking about this topic by now.  This winter we have something new locally including someone who used to join in when others fed owls but now has had a change of heart and is now railing against baiting.  I respect that.  People can change their minds.  But what is special about this particular case is the lengths to which the person has taken it.  Changing of ones mind goes both ways.  I know a birder who really was not crazy about people feeding owls in the past but now after some reflection does not feel the same way anymore.  No names but this fella has been birding for decades and is well respected (not in Ottawa).  He won't ever do it himself but has no issue with photographing owls while others do it and even chipping in.  And life goes on.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

89 posts |