« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 
by neverspook on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:11 am
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I am looking into flights to Longyearben in Svalbard. I am leaving from Canada or could leave from the US and then have to get to Oslo, I guess and from there to Svalbard.

I am wondering what airlines that go to Heathrow or other possible connecting cities are the most tolerant of carryon camera gear. What airlines are real sticklers that weigh and measures carryons and what airlines are more slack and lenient? I will be taking big glass and other heavy gear that I do not want to check under any circumstances.

Thanks for your input.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverpook.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:31 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Probably Icelandair through Reykjavik is your best bet. If you can't do that out of Vancouver, you can out of Seattle. They publish stringent requirements but don't enforce them most of the time, and not at all if you purchase an Economy Comfort or higher ticket. SAS is about the only other semiconvenient way to get there and lots of folks I know have had problems with them as far as carry-on is considered.

by neverspook on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:38 am
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Thanks, E.J.

Roberta

by WJaekel on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:57 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I have been in Svalbard many times and regularily went with SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) from Oslo via Tromsoe to Longyearbyen. So far, I never had trouble with my carry-on luggage including the 600mm or 500mm and lots of other gear. Icelandair normally is good, too. However, I once got big problems with them at the check-in in Frankfurt when I was about to fly to Iceland. They checked the weight of my backpack, made me unpack all photo gear and I had a big discussion with the supervisor before I could finally board. In this chaos with many passengers standing in line behind me, my 1,4 Extender got lost. But this was the only time I got problems with Icelandair - maybe it was just the staff at the check-in desk at Frankfurt Airport ;-)

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
My experience in Frankfurt with any airline is awful when it comes to check-in with carry-on baggage.  Because Lufthansa is absolutely the worst airline on Earth when it comes to carry-on luggage, the whole airport and it's employees are conditioned to not let anything in the cabin unless you are in first class.  I have actualy had a discussion with a Lufthansa supervisor and his reasoning for not allowing anything in the cabin is safety.  When I asked him why it is OK for First Class passengers to compromise their safety but not people in coach, he got angry with me.

by Wildflower-nut on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:35 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
i would watch Iceland air out of NY JFK. The gate is run by British air. They were not measuring or weighing anything just forcing everyone to check roll aboard cases. Talked my way on but it was tough sledding. Others on the same flight had to check theirs. I just hit the right agent.

by lelouarn on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:29 am
lelouarn
Forum Contributor
It seems that nowadays, the airlines are being more and more strict about what you can take aboard. The rules are VERY strict (usually, max 8kg in a single piece of hand-luggage), but their application varies wildly from airline to airline, and also from gate-agent to gate-agent.
What I have found useful:
- Have status on the airlines alliance helps a lot. If you board with the business class passengers, you are not likely to be hassled. If you travel a lot, it can be relatively easy to get gold status, and much less expensive than traveling business class.
- Know the rules: You are allowed "a personal item", for which the definition is fuzzy. Could be a big lens you carry outside of its bag. Could be a computer bag (which could be full of lenses). But it has to "look" small and lightweight. That's why the rollerboards attract attention and can be weighted - they tend to be heavy (just by construction, and also because people stuff them). Also, you are sometimes allowed "one small camera" (small is only "relative" ;-)) - could be your camera body with a lens attached, that you do NOT put in the bag (which would be made heavier).
- Be ready for the "worse". In case they ask to check in your bag and won't budge, have a plan B: take the most precious stuff with you - have a plastic bag (which weights nothing) into which you can put 8kg of the priciest / more fragile items. Camera with strap on the shoulder. Not ideal but better than having everything thrown into the hold.

I remember that a couple of years ago, when I flew to South America (with Air France), I had my Think Tank camera rollerboard full of gear - close to 20kg. It got weighted at ticketing and they said: only 12kg, or it goes into the hold. But they were nice, willing to help. So I took a camera out, with a lens attached, put it on the shoulder. Weighted the bag. Nope, not enough. Took the 300 mm f/2.8 out, carried it in my left hand. Yes ! 12.6 kg. They said it was ok, and basically told me that I could repack everything into the roller, once I was around the corner and they wouldn't see it. So: keep it cool, be courteous (you don't want to piss them off, they have the rules on their side), and try to be creative. They (usually) understand it's expensive fragile stuff. They have their rules which they must apply, so try to find a solution acceptable to both.

Good luck ! :-)

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:18 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yes, people in North America that don't travel much outside of North America have no concept of carry-on flyng in most of the rest of the world. This from my Sony a7R review describes the situation...

"More importantly, airline regulations are getting extremely stringent on carry-on gear in all parts of the world except the USA and I'm betting US based airlines will implement some of the same stringent carry on limits in the future - some carriers like Allegiant and Spirit have already moved in that direction. In many parts of the world, 10kg or 22 lb total carry-on weight is considered a luxurious amenity reserved for First Class passengers. For Economy Class, 8kg (18lb) and even 5kg (11lb) are the norm. The total size of the carry on is also increasingly being measured and legislated. Diligent enforcement of these rules is becoming more and more common outside of the USA and Canada."

by Andy Trowbridge on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 am
Andy Trowbridge
Forum Contributor
Norwegian Airlines fly to Svalbard from Oslo and have a carry on limit of 10kg but I've always taken more without a problem. For overseas flights British Airways has the best carry-on limit that I know of - 23kg.
All comments & suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Andy Trowbridge http://www.andytrowbridge.com 
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/AndyTrowbridgePhotography

by neverspook on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:14 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
How about SAS Airlines for carryon? They have a great flight that is just 13 hours from Newark to Longyearben.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
See my original response!

by neverspook on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:31 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I saw that E.J. I have since talked to a few people who say it matters which fare rate you take on SAS. One friend took a big rolling bag, a Think Tank backpack and a laptop bag on SAS without issue - he was able to take both his 500 and 200-400. I am trying to find out which fare rate he was on.

Anyone else with experience on SAS and their different fare rates? I spent 45 minutes on hold with SAS this morning to try and find this out and then just gave up.

Roberta

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yeah, that's pretty typical of most European carriers, so called "safety" rules apply only to those that haven't paid enough to be exempt from the "safety" standards.

by lelouarn on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:52 am
lelouarn
Forum Contributor
It may be useful to look at the "Economy Plus" tickets. You get a more leg room, and *perhaps* a bit more leniency from the gate Cerberos. BUT, since the rules are the rules (and they apply to all of economy), it *may* not help at all. Business class on the other hand is a world of it's own, where you can do whatever you want, at least luggage wise, while drinking Champagne.
Personally, I wouldn't bother buying a more expensive ticket (unless it's business class) just in the hopes that you get to carry more hand luggage.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I already mentioned Economy Plus. Every airline I have flown on that offers it is way more lenient with Economy Plus or Economy Comfort customers. In fact Icelandair leaves the center seat open in Economy Comfort and uses that space for a drink and food tray.

by PF on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:31 am
PF
Forum Contributor
I just came back from Norway and had 4 flights with SAS. They never had a look at the bags. Mine was not that big (f-stop tilopa) or heavy but certainly more than the 8kg allowed.

As said you can also bring a handbag or small laptop bag.

With "SAS Plus" you are allowed 2 checked and 2 cabin baggages.
PF
[url=http://www.p-f.ch]www.p-f.ch[/url]

by Tony Frank on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:43 pm
Tony Frank
Forum Contributor
I do not know if anyone will read this because its ten days after the last posting. I'm a underwater photographer and have to travel real heavy. (camera gear, scuba gear, underwater housing and strobes plus backups. There is no camera stores where I go.) I have found no Airline harder to deal with than Quantas! This said I travel with a photographers photo vest. If it comes to the point where nothing will move them I can load the vest to over 50 lbs and they can they will not say a word. (except small bush planes where they must know every gram including me.) This said I'm finding I must bite the big bullet and buy the business class tickets more and more often. This is what air travel is coming to. I'm hatting airlines, airports, packing and airtravel. Good luck with your trip.

by LeonardWindsor on Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:15 am
LeonardWindsor
Forum Contributor
[url=www.bestcarryonluggagess.comhttp://]Samsonite Luggage[/url] 22 Inch Andante Wheeled Duffel is the best one known to me so far... It looks very good and has plenty of storage, Handle is made well and firm

18 posts |