« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 42 posts | 
by Primus on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Anthony Medici wrote:.....................

Also, unless you shoot both systems side by side, your statements about what the Nikon system can or can't do is all based on second hand knowledge. Maybe at some point in the future we can shoot side by side and process the images side by side. Then we would have the data to discuss just what advantages one system has over the other.

My point exactly.

Pradeep

by rnclark on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:04 am
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Anthony Medici wrote:The experiments I have seen with what Nikon is doing for noise reduction only removes a bright pixel (as in single pixel) where it is surrounded by dark pixels. To my knowledge, this rarely if every happens outside of Astrophotography. The detail in the shadow area of a daylight or inside photo never has a single bright pixel next to dark ones so the filter Nikon is using would not impact that.

Night sky images without faint stars can easily be explained by the photographer using an after market noise reduction tool on the image. So unless those images you have seen are "right out of the camera" images, I would think that it was the processing that caused this, not the camera.

Also, unless you shoot both systems side by side, your statements about what the Nikon system can or can't do is all based on second hand knowledge. Maybe at some point in the future we can shoot side by side and process the images side by side. Then we would have the data to discuss just what advantages one system has over the other.
Stars produced by most lenses and telescopes are not a single pixel; more like 3 to 9 pixels.   Astrophotographers have been complaining for years about Nikon's raw filter deleting stars.  So it is not a simple one bright pixel being filtered.

Yes, nightscapes can be ruined by post processing filters deleting stars, as well as filters at the raw level deleting stars.
Roger

42 posts |