« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by kent downing on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:55 am
kent downing
Forum Contributor
I have a new MacBook Pro Laptop set up (w/ 256gb flash drive) with Lightroom 5 and two 1TB external hard drives- one as a main drive and the other as a back- up drive. I intend to use the MBP and EHD's as a travel set up for down loading, tagging and quick editing, And once I am back home I would like to transfer my LR Catalog/Images from my MBP- HD's to my Windows based desktop PC for final cull and processing. Can this be done ? I think I can reformat the EHD's so they will communicate cross platforms, but I am just not sure. This is all new to me. Any help and direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks Kent

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:26 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
IF you have a network at home then you don't have to reformat your drive. Just transfer files over Ethernet.
If you don't have it or you want to plug your external HD directly then reformat it to FAT.
Mac can write to FAT but not to NTFS (without 3rd party software) partition.
There's also MacDrive software on PC side which allows you to access HFS+ partitions (Mac formatting scheme).

by kent downing on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:42 pm
kent downing
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:IF you have a network at home then you don't have to reformat your drive. Just transfer files over Ethernet.
If you don't have it or you want to plug your external HD directly then reformat it to FAT.
Mac can write to FAT but not to NTFS (without 3rd party software) partition.
There's also MacDrive software on PC side which allows you to access HFS+ partitions (Mac formatting scheme).
Thanks very much Andrew. I'll (attempt to) reformat the two external drives to FAT, since I do not have a home network. Trusting this will do it. 
Cheers Kent

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:00 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
I think you do.If you have internet access then you have a modem/router.
Question is,does your router have extra ethernet ports ?

Anyway,direct HD connection is usually faster for transferring files.
You can also try free trial (for 10 days) software for Mac which enables write access to NTFS partitions.
http://download.cnet.com/Paragon-NTFS/3000-2248_4-75300588.html

4 posts |