All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by absu on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:05 am
absu
Forum Contributor
Hi Folks,

Myself is basically a wildlife photographer who by sheer chance during the trail of bird comes in front of natures's delight, picks up the Kit lens (18-105) & takes landscapes.
Now I intend to purchase one wide angle prime preferably Zeiss glass though my purpose may be solved better by 24-70 f/2.8. (Wiser decision I think)
Reading several article & enjoying some spectacular images taken by Zeiss glass I incline for the same.
Before final decision I like to clear some haze.
My query is which lens? 25mm f/2 or 21mm f/2.8.
I understand the 1 stop advantage of 25mm & Wider angle of 21mm. But except those what is the other factors behave?
Specifically the sharpness at wide open, vignetting, distortion, colour rendition, handling & of course IQ?
I have read else where that 25mm is weaker in infinity is that so, How it affect the image?
I also doubtful about the manual focus, how it behave in camera system, any confirmation by system, how reliable it is?
Or I am to rely entirely on eye about focus.
I am afraid that i have asked too many question, 

Thanks in advance.

Anirban Basu
Anirban Basu

"Beauty is simply reality seen with the eyes of love" 
— Rabindranath Tagore

Email: anirbanbasu0606@gmail.com

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:12 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It will depend on which angle of view you want.  The difference between 25mm and 21mm is pretty stark.  Both lenses are world class so you can't go wrong with either one.  Figure out which focal length you need and then pick the appropriate lens.  Both are best in class for wide open performance but like any lens, they sharpen up a bit when you stop down.  The one negative of all Zeiss lenses, especially wide open, is that they vignette quite a bit.  But the lenses are includd in the Adobe lens correction tables so tis is taken care of as long as you have lens corrections turned on in LR or ACR.  Also DXO and C1.

Both offer focus confirmation - the in focus light comes on in the viewfinder - and write the correct metadata to the file - just make sure you get the ZF.2 versions of the lens which are chipped.

I have both of these lenses and they are both the best in class for a D800.  Let me know if you have other questions.

by owlseye on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:59 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
@ EJ or others who know the lens..., what are your thoughts about the 18mm f3.5 Zeiss. I would be using this on my 5D iii and am looking to replace my 17-40L with a single lens. I tend to shoot more on the widest end of the 17-40, and this is where the lens is at its weakest in terms of CA and sharpness in the corners.

I am not interested in the 17 TSE, as I like to use variable ND's and have a Lee and Cokin Grad ND's that I rely on.
I know the 21mm f2.8 is the best of their wide glass, but the mass and size are things that I could do without.

thanks for your consideration,
bruce

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:54 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The 18mm Zeiss is probably the single worst lens they make.  It's not a horrible lens by any means, just not up to the standards of the others.  If you want a truly great super wide lens, the Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 can not be beat.

by owlseye on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:23 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ, your thoughts match much of what I have read. I would love the Zeiss 15mm or Canon 14mm vii, however neither plays well with filters. My interest is in a lens that will shoot clean on the edges by f/8, and can readily take variable ND's and graduated ND filters via Lee-type holder. I was looking at the 18mm Zeiss because it has an 82mm thread and lacks the bulbous front element that precludes filtration. My issues are further complicated by where I live. Being a MN resident who enjoys shooting in frigid temps (though today was a bit over the top), I need a lens that will not require me to be overly careful. The exposed element on the 14's, 15's and Nikon 14-24 zoom would likely be damaged quickly by someone like me.

While I never use a protective filter (unless it's integrated in a super-tele), I am less than careful w/ the gear especially when I'm working in the cold.

Maybe I'll give the 21mm ZE a second look unless you've got another suggestion.
thanks and regards,
bruce

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Actually the Zeiss has filter threads in the permanent metal hood!  Zeiss has both a UV and a polarizer available.  there may be others that make filters in that size.  You can see where here - it's a 95mm filter:
http://lenses.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/e ... t2815.html

by owlseye on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:00 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Actually the Zeiss has filter threads in the permanent metal hood!  Zeiss has both a UV and a polarizer available.  there may be others that make filters in that size.  You can see where here - it's a 95mm filter:
http://lenses.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/e ... t2815.html
Thanks for the additional information E.J., 
Now I need to decide how much I want/need this lens as the price is pretty steep.

regards,
bruce

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yeah it is high on my want list too but I haven't been able to justify the cost... yet :)
I have used one though and it is freaking awesome!

8 posts |