your thoughts on this one..Orange Spotted Pipe Fish portrait

Posted by patpasquale-nyc on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:29 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
as a diver/photographer, I love this personally, but do I enter this or not?
I love the eye on the 1/3, and the space going foward, but not sure about the snout being dead center or the red behind it. I am NOT a big fan of changing the shot dramatically, so if I do to much CS work to it, it kind of loses the 'got it' feeling of the shot.
Stu & Woody, I love your underwater work and comments, but I wonder what non diver photogs think as well?
the subject is 4tops 5inches long and much thinner than a soda straw, which adds to being able to just find it, let alone, as on this shot, I worked the subject for almost the whole dive.
thanks in advance for your thoughts~
Australia, Northern outter barrier reef
Canon10d IkeHousing,DS125strobe, Sigma50mm 1/200 f14 iso200
"your critiques are way more important then my bruised ego" MLoc

http://www.ppfotos.com
(newly redesigned as of 1/12/2007)
pasquale

Posted by:
patpasquale-nyc
Lifetime Member
Member #:00375

by sandboa on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:52 am
sandboa
Forum Contributor
Pasquale,

I'm not a diver, but I thought I would make a few comments. It is a great shot first of all. When you consider that it was taken underwater, it is all the more remarkeable. A few comments -

1. The red "blob" behind the head really distracts from the focus of the picture. If you could select and desaturate it, I think it might help bring the attention back to the pipefish. If that wasn't there, the colors of the pipefish would certainly jump out more.

2. I'm not quite sure if it is sharp on the fish's eye? It appears the plane of focus might be a tad in front? Hard to tell with fish however. Their slime coat seems to blur focus sometimes for me.

Very well done. I hope you will enter it as it is certainly worthy of evaluation.
Chris Harrison
----------------
So many critters, so little time!
Sony A700, Minolta 7D

by scubastu on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:30 pm
scubastu
Forum Contributor
Pasquale,

I like this shot, I'd have like a bit more of the animal in the image, but like the space in front of the snout. Nice Catchlight from the DS125.

Stu
Stewart L. Sy

SLS Photography, When Your Underwater Images Matter...
www.stewartsy.com

by Carolyn E. Wright on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:48 pm
Carolyn E. Wright
Member #:00282
I like the shot very much. For my tastes, I'd tone down the red and then crop/rotate the image a small bit to make the head and snout a bit more diagonal in the shot. The surrounding coral (?) is really nice!
Carolyn E. Wright, Esq.
Retired Lawyer for Photographers and NSN Moderator
Photo Attorney® at www.photoattorney.com

by Paul Burwell on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:28 pm
Paul Burwell
Forum Contributor
I'll start off by stating I'm not a diver.

I really like this shot. I don't find the red behind the snout distracting except for what I perceive to be an eye at the top right of the red.

Excellently exposed and a very interesting subject. The snout being in the middle of the shot doesn't bother me at all.

Great job.
Paul Burwell
[url=http://www.bsop.ca]Photography Classes and Workshops[/url]

by NDCheryl on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:09 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
I like this a lot. I like the red in the BG as it compliments the red in the fishes eye. I really like the comp as well.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Carol Clarke on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:25 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Great shot Pasquale! and this time the red patch is a real bonus in the composition IMO. For me, it brings the whole image together and adds a welcome splash of colour. The position of the Pipe Fish is just right in the overall scheme of things. I like this a lot! 8) :D
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Woody Mayhew on Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:58 am
Woody Mayhew
Forum Contributor
Very nice shot, Pat. I like it as is. I, too, like the red sponge in the background. I am inclined to like keeping habitat elements in UW photos as they often give hints to where to look for creatures by seeing where they live or what they eat. Sorry for the slow response as I just returned last night from my November dive trip to the Philippines.

8 posts |