Where in the world am I?

Posted by Brian Stirling on Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:09 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Here's a test for you. See if you can guess where in the world (USA) I am?

Just one hint -- it's in the western USA.

Brian

Posted by:
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:43 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Just a guess - Roosevelt Lake in AZ

by Brian Stirling on Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:04 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Just a guess - Roosevelt Lake in AZ

It's not in AZ but it IS in UT!

Brian

by Campbell on Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:31 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
See if you can guess where in the world (USA) I am?
Somewhere where I don't know where you are.

How'd I do? Am I close? :lol:
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
http://www.JCVPhoto.com

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
OK, how about the Escalante arm of Lake Powell

by Brian Stirling on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:13 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:OK, how about the Escalante arm of Lake Powell

Actually it's the sothern end of the Flaming Gorge of NE Utah and SW Wyoming. I had not planned to stop here but when I left Fort Collins CO enroute to Salt Lake City UT I decided to stop about midway between them and on the map I saw a place called Green River WY and decided to stop there for a night. As I was pulling into the area I found some very interesting formations around the town and instead of staying a single night I wound up staying a week. It was only after being in Green River for a day or so that I discovered the Flaming Gorge and I made several trips around the entire lake (reservoir).

I had a major problem not far from where this picture was taken as the rear tire on my motorcycle failed and I was forced ride almost 65 miles on a flat tire to get back to Green River where my RV was. See, when I left Fort Collins I knew I needed a new tire but figured I could get one in SLC, but I had not expected to stay an extra week in Green River.

On my last trip south from Green River I'd planned to photograph the Salmon spawning in a stream (Sheep Creek) as it crossed under SR44. I did so and was taking the loop road (Forest Road 218) when the tire failed. There was a little town (Manila) about 10 miles away but it was late in the day and they had no motorcycle shop in town anyway so I got a couple cans of fix-a-flat and started back. The first can of fix-a-flat got me about 5 miles and the second can was unable to do any better so for the next 50 miles or so I had to ride on the sholder at less than 15 mph! I stopped about every 5 miles or so to let what was left of the tire cool down a bit and managed to steer the bike by moving my weight from side-to-side. Attempting to lean the bike would have caused the tire to come off the rim and I did not want that to happen. By the time I made it to Green River the tire was so shreaded that I could go no further so I had to walk another 3-4 miles to get back to my RV. I put the bike in the trailer and continued on to SLC where i replaced the tire. After riding almost 65 miles on a flat tire I managed to avoid damaging the rim!

Brian

6 posts |