Beach gulley rock colours, Southgate, Gower, Wales.

Posted by Marshall Black on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:31 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
Canon EOS1DMKII, 17-40 f4 at 17mm, f221/6 sec, polariser, tripod, mlu, cable. Converted RSE, dusted, USM PSE3.
This is a gulley between rock strata layers on a Gower beach. The gulley isn't really visible from the beach, but I noticed the patch of white at it's end and went to investigate, finding these colourful rocks and coloured stones aplenty. I found this spot last year, this was shot yesterday.
This was a precarious position, balancing the tripod over the gaps between the rocks, then getting my eye to the viefinder (the rock tops are about waist high), and then getting something for a composition. I'd already decided the pool would be part of the image and found the different lines leading to the end of the gulley seemed to work well. The white patch at the end has some very interesting formations with great boulders, I'll be posting some soon.

Posted by:
Marshall Black
Lifetime Member
Member #:00417

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:30 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Excellent composition and very cool rocks.

by Jenny Ellerbe on Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:26 pm
Jenny Ellerbe
Forum Contributor
I think this a wonderful image! I love the textures and the subdued colors. You might want to play with adding just a tad more contrast and see how it looks. As a b&w shooter, I would LOVE to come across this scene.
Jenny Ellerbe
Louisiana
http://www.jennyellerbe.com

by Marshall Black on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:59 am
Marshall Black
Lifetime Member
Member #:00417

Upped the contrast a touch on the jpeg as Jenny suggested.

4 posts |