Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 31 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:15 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
Karl Egressy wrote: I was lucky I guess. I phoned them today (five days after I sent it in) and the repair was done. They will send it to Purolator today and the delivery will take place either on Friday or on Monday. Basically eight days which included a Holiday. They changed the bayonet mount.
No charge.

I finally got an email from them saying they would email me the shipping label soon. lol
Isn't it ironic that they send you an email telling you that they are going to send you an email? 

Joe
Yes, very funny. I finally got the email with the shipping label! It only took two tries and a couple of weeks. lol

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:24 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
I got it back in less than a week, so that was better than I expected.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:33 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote: I got it back in less than a week, so that was better than I expected.
I'm still enjoying mine so much that I'm having a hard time deciding to send it in. If I drop the body or lens I'll be kicking myself.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by PullmanPhotographer on Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:12 am
PullmanPhotographer
Lifetime Member
Member #:02166
I sent my Z8 in using Nikon's shipping label. It arrived at the California Repair Shop but was refused as the package "appeared to be damaged". It was returned to the senders address which was not my home address rather it was Nikon's Headquarters in Melville NY. They accepted the package, which must have no longer been damaged, and emailed me a "Service Acknowledgement". Tthe information on their web site stated that the repair to the lens mount was being done for "Goodwill". I'm hoping that they will return the camera to me rather than another Nikon location. 
Dave Ostrom

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:04 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
PullmanPhotographer wrote: I sent my Z8 in using Nikon's shipping label. It arrived at the California Repair Shop but was refused as the package "appeared to be damaged". It was returned to the senders address which was not my home address rather it was Nikon's Headquarters in Melville NY. They accepted the package, which must have no longer been damaged, and emailed me a "Service Acknowledgement". Tthe information on their web site stated that the repair to the lens mount was being done for "Goodwill". I'm hoping that they will return the camera to me rather than another Nikon location. 
Interesting that they said it was being done as "goodwill". It's like they are not acknowledging that it's a defect. I'm not surprised the package was damaged. I receive packages all the time that are beat up. All have been fine inside, though. I'm still using my z8 and am still amazed at what it is capable of, even compared to the D850. I'll have to send it in eventually, but not just yet.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:45 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
PullmanPhotographer wrote: I sent my Z8 in using Nikon's shipping label. It arrived at the California Repair Shop but was refused as the package "appeared to be damaged". It was returned to the senders address which was not my home address rather it was Nikon's Headquarters in Melville NY. They accepted the package, which must have no longer been damaged, and emailed me a "Service Acknowledgement". Tthe information on their web site stated that the repair to the lens mount was being done for "Goodwill". I'm hoping that they will return the camera to me rather than another Nikon location. 
Interesting that they said it was being done as "goodwill". It's like they are not acknowledging that it's a defect. I'm not surprised the package was damaged. I receive packages all the time that are beat up. All have been fine inside, though. I'm still using my z8 and am still amazed at what it is capable of, even compared to the D850. I'll have to send it in eventually, but not just yet.

Joe
I had the same term used as well. A bit pompous I would say. Ship a defective product, then act like you’re doing the customer a favor by fixing it. I’ve heard there’s a problem with the strap lugs failing, and the camera drops to the ground. I don’t understand how very fundamental design elements get screwed up. It’s not like it’s Nikon’s first rodeo. Lol

by hullyjr on Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:22 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
I'm curious about insurance for shipping to Nikon USA. My Z8 is on their advisory list but I have not observed any issues with themount. Still, I contacted Nikon and they sent me a UPS label. I go to the UPS store and the label is only good for $100 insurance on a $4000 camera!! I asked to add insurance but UPS said I cannot do that using the Nikon prepaid label. Only way is to send it myself and pay $100 for shipping/inssurance. I paid it and now wondering if I should have contacted Nikon first. Thoughts?

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:46 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
hullyjr wrote: I'm curious about insurance for shipping to Nikon USA. My Z8 is on their advisory list but I have not observed any issues with themount. Still, I contacted Nikon and they sent me a UPS label. I go to the UPS store and the label is only good for $100 insurance on a $4000 camera!! I asked to add insurance but UPS said I cannot do that using the Nikon prepaid label. Only way is to send it myself and pay $100 for shipping/inssurance. I paid it and now wondering if I should have contacted Nikon first. Thoughts?

Jim
I sent it without the insurance using their label. It is worrisome to know your camera is being sent without coverage. I don't know if Nikon would supply a new camera or not in the case of loss...probably not knowing them.

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:15 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
The strap lug problem also affects my camera. So, it has to go back in. I don't use the lugs very often, but what a joke of a new product! I don't know why they didn't check it when I sent it in with the lens mount problem. I think I'll wait at least six months until the rest of the issues come out before sending it in. lol(not)

by hullyjr on Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:27 am
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
As a follow-up, I sent my Z8 to Nikon in New York on the 28th August. I paid $97.43 for that privilege! At the same time I returned a Sony PS5 controller still under warranty to their Indiana repair facilitites for the cheapest rate of $11.98. Guess which one made it to its destination, was repaired and returned all within three business days? Hint, it wasn't Nikon!
The Z8 was received by Nikon on 1st August according to UPS tracking. After that just crickets...... I eventually called them yesterday, 7th August, to ask what was going on. They acknowledged that they had received it (that took a 5 minute of waiting and I was thinking the worst) but they have not had time to enter it into their system!
Seems they are overwhelmed, probably due to the new strap lug isse, so any thoughts of getting it back in less than 2+ weeks is a dream.

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by absu on Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:39 am
absu
Forum Contributor
hullyjr wrote: As a follow-up, I sent my Z8 to Nikon in New York on the 28th August. I paid $97.43 for that privilege! At the same time I returned a Sony PS5 controller still under warranty to their Indiana repair facilitites for the cheapest rate of $11.98. Guess which one made it to its destination, was repaired and returned all within three business days? Hint, it wasn't Nikon!
The Z8 was received by Nikon on 1st August according to UPS tracking. After that just crickets...... I eventually called them yesterday, 7th August, to ask what was going on. They acknowledged that they had received it (that took a 5 minute of waiting and I was thinking the worst) but they have not had time to enter it into their system!
Seems they are overwhelmed, probably due to the new strap lug isse, so any thoughts of getting it back in less than 2+ weeks is a dream.

Jim
I really do not understand Why Nikon is creating unnecessary hub.. bub.. for this simple advisory. They should react in proper customer friendly fashion.  I fortunately stay in same place where Regional office of Nikon service center  is situated. I have taken by brand NEW Z8 with original box pack (I not able to use this as service advisory came 2 days after delivery of product) physically to them. I am not in NPS. Believe me it is 2 hrs they have taken & no parts is changed. They have done something on mounting screw I don't know exactly & only labours charge entry was made. 
It is not worth this kind of delay & hazards to Pros.
Anirban Basu

"Beauty is simply reality seen with the eyes of love" 
— Rabindranath Tagore

Email: anirbanbasu0606@gmail.com

31 posts |