Gold from Nuestra Señora de Atocha

Posted by AlexC on Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:09 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 

Solid Gold Link with Precious stones

Massive and ornate solid Gold belt link found amongst the treasure of Nuestra Señora de Atocha, the Spanish Galleon that sank near the Florida Coast (Dry Tortuga's) in 1622, The famous treasury hunter Mel Fisher found the Atocha after 16 years of searching, The find cost him dearly as well, he lost a son and a daughter in-law in the process.
The Atocha was caring 40 tons of Silver and Gold and 70 pounds of finished and raw Emeralds as well according to the records.
This image was taken at his exhibit in Key West, a must see place if you are ever there!!
Camera=CoolPix, Fl-20.4 mm, Program Auto, Matrix metering, 1/30sec SS-f/4, Auto WB, No flash was used!!
Any comments and or reposts are always welcome!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

Posted by:
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024

by ALMA on Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:07 pm
ALMA
Forum Contributor
This not only has lovely history it also is a beautiful piece of jewelry, what a GREAT job you have done showing all its detail..

by AlexC on Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:04 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Alma wrote:
This not only has lovely history it also is a beautiful piece of jewelry, what a GREAT job you have done showing all its detail..
Alma, this link belt was also used as money, you could take a link at a time to pay your obligations and debts, that's why they were so massive, Intricate patterns and a wonderful design, It's mind boggling to think this was crafted in the 17th Century in South America, More than likely in the country of present Colombia or Peru!!, Thanks for looking!!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Michael Brown on Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:12 pm
Michael Brown
Forum Contributor
Great shot Alex!

My wife and I went down to Key West a few months after we were married (20 years next week), and went in to see this exibit.
She looked at all of the pieces they had inside, and then looked at the ring on her finger.

Bummer! :lol: :wink:

Mike
[b]Michael Brown
NSN 0056[/b]

[url=http://www.macroartinnature.com/]"Macro Art In Nature" - Website[/url]

by AlexC on Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:21 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Michael wrote:
She looked at all of the pieces they had inside, and then looked at the ring on her finger.

Bummer!
You should have known better my friend!!!
My wife does not even know the place exists!!! :wink:
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]

by Jill on Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:32 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Alex, In lieu of dinero, something along this line would be loverly!!! Hope you'll agree to be my body guard. :wink: Gorgeous capture, MA. 8) 8)
Jill Rosenfield

by Greg Downing on Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:40 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Alex, very nice capture. Your lighting is always just perfect. I take it the burlap is natural....;) ;)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Carol Clarke on Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:23 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Gold, one of nature's wonders - but what troubles it has caused due to man's greed!! 8) 8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by AlexC on Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:05 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Carol wrote:
Gold, one of nature's wonders - but what troubles it has caused due to man's greed!!

Is not the Gold that creates the problems, but our poor interpretation of it, Sadly the native Indians from the now named Americas paid the highest price, some tribes disappeared into oblivion due to decease brought from the old world as well as genocide by the Civilized Conquistadors like Pizarro.
The greed and lust for these things does not lie but in man souls !!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]

by Harvey Edelman on Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:41 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
Although this image is attractive and the story is interesting, I'm perplexed as to the organic (and not refined) elements that may be present here even in a peripheral or lighthearted way. No disrespect intended.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Carol Clarke on Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:23 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
AlexC wrote:Carol wrote:
Gold, one of nature's wonders - but what troubles it has caused due to man's greed!!

Is not the Gold that creates the problems, but our poor interpretation of it, Sadly the native Indians from the now named Americas paid the highest price, some tribes disappeared into oblivion due to decease brought from the old world as well as genocide by the Civilized Conquistadors like Pizarro.
The greed and lust for these things does not lie but in man souls !!
Yes Alex, that's what I was referring to. :?
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by LHays on Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:53 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Alex
A beautiful shot. The last time I was in Key West, I saw some pretty flashy things.....but they were on the beach. Next time, I'll hit the educational displays!!!
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

12 posts |