« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:24 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Wondering if anyone here has this combo and how it fits inside the Toploader with the RRS collar as opposed to the Kirk collar.  Is it too tight?  I know the 80-400 G with the Kirk collar is a good fit inside this Toploader, but I want to give the RRS collar a shot.   The RRS foot protrudes out farther from the lens barrel than the Kirk. 

Thank ahead :)

by Mark Picard on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:04 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
I have the Kirk, as you know, and as you mentioned, fits good in the Toploader. I chose the Kirk because, number one, it's cheaper. It also connects to two spots on the lens, whereas the RRS only connects on one. RRS has excellent products, so who knows if one is more stable than the other. If I remember correctly, you can take of the Arca style foot of the RRS collar with just one quick and easy lever, therefore it would fit into the Toploader with no problems. I had a RRS collar on my old 70-200mm Nikon and that also had the removable Arca foot plate.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:10 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Yes, you are correct, the foot has a quick-release option. I discovered this while researching it and have made a decision to go with the RRS.

BTW, I believe that you were the one who recommended this Toploader Pro AW II to me. I love it. The combo stays inside this case. But I have to wonder why LowePro chose to leave out the padding on the nylon lift-handle or lift-strap. No biggy though.

Thank you

3 posts |