All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:53 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
My 11 year old tripod has an equally old RRS BH-55 ballhead are working just fine but the Gitzo 1321 leveling base, also 11 years old, is giving me problems.  No, it's still working fine at leveling but I can't seem to move the bottom locking lever that's used to lock the ballhead onto the leveling base.  I'm trying to remove the ballhead so I can put a gimbal head on it for use with the Sigma 150-600 lens.  My goal was to be able to attach the gimbal head to the top of the leveling base so the leveling base could be used to help level the system.

I suspect the locking lever is frozen due to corrosion as I haven't removed the ballhead from the leveling base in years.  I've sprayed some WD-40 on it but that's not working.

So, in case the locking lever can't be moved how do I remove the ballhead from it?

Brian

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:20 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
There's no reason it should be bound that tight. I have used these leveling bases for years and never had that problem. Looking at it from the top down, the lever has to move clockwise. I would not hesitate to tap it with the heel of a shoe fairly hard or with a light hammer blow if you put a piece of rubber or some cushioning on it first so as not to mar it. If it is like mine, there is a hex head that the lever rod screws into. If you can unscrew the lever rod, you may be able to get an open end wrench on that. Good luck!

One more thought or two. You can try to place a tight fitting piece of pipe over the shaft to give you more leverage in loosening it. The place to spray with oil is where the hex head touches the bottom of the top plate.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Charlie Woodrich on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:46 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
You might consider putting the 1321 and the BH 55 in the refrigerator or freezer and see if the contraction helps.

by Brian Stirling on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:52 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Well I managed to get it lose and was able to remove the ballhead. It wouldn't budge and even WD-40 didn't help at first, but when I came back a while later it came lose without much difficulty

Brian

by Mike in O on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:26 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Liquid wrench works better than wd40 for that kind of task. My heads seem to constantly bind but a sharp knock seems to free them. you can exert a lot of leverage with a wimberly and over tighten (just by seeing if it is tight enough).

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:42 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Liquid wrench works better than wd40 for that kind of task. 
And for lubricating, I prefer Triflow with teflon because it doesn't tend to attract dust as much as WD-40.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Totally agree - triflow is a far superior lubricant for photographic purposes.

by Brian Stirling on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:16 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
I'll have to pick up some Triflow then -- I used what I had, WD-40 and it worked -- eventually!

Brian

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A silicone based lubricant is almost always superior to a petroleum based one, especially if there is any risk of getting it on plastic.

9 posts |