Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:12 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Friend of mine is looking for a small,  quality point and shoot that has wifi capabilities. 

Cost is really not an issue. Most important qualities:

1. Ability to take image and immediately send it through the air to friends and family anywhere.
2  he wants to be able to carry this in his pocket.

Thanks ahead, Robert, sent from mobile device

by Joerg Rockenberger on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:27 am
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
The new Ricoh GRII has wifi capability. It's a fixed lens compact camera and the previous model GR is known for very good image quality. Supposedly nothing has changed in that regard with the newer model as sensor/lens etc. are all the same. Joerg

by signgrap on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:26 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Why does he/she want something more than a good cell phone?
Are there certain spec's they want that aren't in cell phones?
It seems to me the cell phone was made to order for a camera that fits into a pocket and sends images to friends and family.
Dick Ludwig

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:21 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Hi Dick :). Regarding your question.

The man has his reasons for not wanting a smart phone.  I am not certain why.  
He is asking me about point and shoot recommendations.  I am asking the folks here.  I can do my own search for past threads….but how.?

I know point and shoots must have been covered in a past thread(s).  Would someone please refer me to that thread (s)?

If there is an effective way to search for past threads then how do I do that please.  He wants a small point and shoot, I guess with WIFI; i.e. the ability to send images wirelessly.

But when I see him I will mention what you have said, that what he wants is already in a smartphone, plus much more.

Thank you.

by DMcLarty on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:12 am
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
search works but it is a very wide search the last forum topic I fould was
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=251723&p=2367526&hilit=point#p2367526

...Wifi capable point and shoot...
most of the new ( less than one year old models) of the point and shoots and DSLR come with WiFi features...
I have used and been pleased with the Canon Powershot series and the Olympus series for our pocket - PnS cameras.
I have on order the newer Olympus TG4 for my pocket camera to replace my older TG. The new camera has a much better lens than previous models,  Wifi ability, GPS and compass features,RAW format recording - a must have in my choices, Video capture and is overall just a "Tough" camera for pockets and no worries use. ie dropping, rain, beach, sand /dust/ mud (we ATV/mud dirt trail a lot here), underwater, and the more careful usage.   At 16 MP it is a medium MP camera but looks like the over all image results is very manageable.
BestBuy has numerous models from each maker that have WiFi and range in price from 150-500.

....Ability to take image and immediately send it through the air to friends and family anywhere
The cell phones can send immediately as long as you have a data plan ( most cell plans do) with your cell phone to applications such as facebook \ email ect. which is most likely why Dick mentioned this. The newer cell phones from Samsung, Apple, and others have great cameras but there is always the contract/renewal  %$#@@@ that comes with cell phones ( no I don't like cell phones companies).

WiFi enabled cameras need additional device to do this such as a cell phone , an Ipad with a SIMM card data plan, or other internet connection at home or public. The WiFi camera do not have any built in app that will send to an email or facebook site YET. Some do have image sharing sites (cloud storage) that you can up load too once connected to a WiFi service.

DP Review and Steve's DigiCams has a good array of reviews based on specs and tests...not so much personal thoughts.  
doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:58 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Ok, thanks for your responses to my question.  I want to give added thanks to Mr. McLarty for his in-depth response.  I did not know that the "full" WIFI capability has not arrived just yet.

by DChan on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:16 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Here's a wifi capable point(literally)-and-shoot:

Olympus AIR review

Really. Just point, and shoot. :)

7 posts |