All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Steven Major on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:52 am
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
Greetings....
I need an L Bracket for the 810 with a Vello grip. The choices seem to be only two...RRS and the Kirk products. Some reviewers state these brackets won't work with the Vello / 3rd party grip..True or False?   How and why don't they work?   Are there any other choices? 
One thing I'm not doing is giving up my over priced $ 90 dollar Vello grip for the insanely priced $ 450+ Nikon version.
Thanks in advance.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The shape of the Vello grip is different than the Nikon so it won't properly fit. You will not find an L-bracket that properly fits a third party grip. The other option would be to get the standard L-bracket and remove the Vello grip for landscape work which is when you need the L-bracket most.

P.S. I did get a chuckle that you call the $90 grip overpriced but you are in the market for a $150+ L bracket ;)

by dougc on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
I have been using this one from Pro Media Gear with excellent results. I got tired of buying a new one for every new body. No, it doesn't fit as well as the dedicated ones, but if you snug it up tightly it stays in place.

http://store.promediagear.com/4-inch-Un ... p_135.html

by bender16v on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:30 am
bender16v
Forum Contributor
Member #:02125
I am in the same boat. I've had Nikon's grips on all my other bodies but just can't justify the price of the MB-D12 so I put a Vello grip on the D810. I very rarely have the need for an L Bracket so for the time being I have ordered a generic one with a removable side part. I will probably break down and get the Nikon grip and RRS bracket in the end though.
-Chris Harrison

by ChrisRoss on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:14 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
You can use the generic L bracket made by RRS, it doesn't fit snugly and you will probably have to remove it for certain operations. It's just a straight L:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Mu ... e-Cameras/
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Steven Major on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:44 pm
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
Oh crap thanks anyway.
I need the grip for big hands and the bracket for vertical pano sweeps. Lately I have been switching out the grip and standard L bracket several times a day...PIA and a real interruption to creative momentum.
I guess I know the solution.
Thanks again

6 posts |