All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by Svein-Frode on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:00 pm
Svein-Frode
Lifetime Member
Member #:00152
I’m a 30+year veteran shooter for National Geographic publications. I didn’t start out looking to jump ship from my favorite line of DSLRs to Sony mirrorless, cameras. It just kind of happened out of necessity.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/national-geographic-photographer-bob-krist-explains-why-he-moved-to-sony/

Bob has some nice websites too:

http://www.oldmaninmotion.com/

http://bobkrist.com/
Svein-Frode

by Jens Peermann on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:51 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
The really interesting part is the comment that points to the all-metal replacement for the e-mount.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Svein-Frode on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:42 am
Svein-Frode
Lifetime Member
Member #:00152
The third party e-mount replacement should really make Sony rethink their design and quality control.
Svein-Frode

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:13 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Svein-Frode wrote:The third party e-mount replacement should really make Sony rethink their design and quality control.
They already have, the a7s uses the metal piece.  This has nothing to do with quality control.  That is a design materials choice, not a quality control issue.  I will be doing this mod either later today or tomorrow to my a7R.  But this should really be a different thread as it has nothing to do with the original post about a Nikon DSLR Pro switching to Sony mirrorless...

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:16 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Did the mod today.  It definitely gets rid of the lens flex.  I had a little trouble getting one of the screws recessed properly but reworking the installation a couple of times with just small increments of tightening the screws in all four corners eventually got it seated properly.  It is a much more reassuring mount since the bayonet is now metal, not plastic.

by Martin 095 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:35 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
Thom Hogan posted about Bob Krist jumping to Sony as well. Based in part on what Thom said, the saddest part of this is that Nikon doesn't appear to be really concerned by the reasons for his move (ie, he could things with his Sonys that his more expensive, heavier Nikons could not) ... hello Nikon, is anyone home? I can understand them ignoring a peon like me, but Bob Krist???
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Martin 095 wrote:Thom Hogan posted about Bob Krist jumping to Sony as well.  Based in part on what Thom said, the saddest part of this is that Nikon doesn't appear to be really concerned by the reasons for his move (ie, he could things with his Sonys that his more expensive, heavier Nikons could not) ... hello Nikon, is anyone home?  I can understand them ignoring a peon like me, but Bob Krist???
I have spent a lot of time dealing with Nikon both on the semiconductor side and the photo side.  Their corporate culture is very much a "if we don't think of it, you don't need it".  They are really bad at responding to customer requests.

Probably the best company in the photo equipment industry for being responsive to customer requests is Fuji.

by Jamie Strickland on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:24 pm
Jamie Strickland
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Did the mod today.  It definitely gets rid of the lens flex.  I had a little trouble getting one of the screws recessed properly but reworking the installation a couple of times with just small increments of tightening the screws in all four corners eventually got it seated properly.  It is a much more reassuring mount since the bayonet is now metal, not plastic.

Do you notice any light leak? I just read this comment on amazon and wondering if this worth worrying about or not http://www.amazon.com/The-TOUGH-E-Mount ... nk20349-20

by Coreyhkh on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:54 pm
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Martin 095 wrote:Thom Hogan posted about Bob Krist jumping to Sony as well.  Based in part on what Thom said, the saddest part of this is that Nikon doesn't appear to be really concerned by the reasons for his move (ie, he could things with his Sonys that his more expensive, heavier Nikons could not) ... hello Nikon, is anyone home?  I can understand them ignoring a peon like me, but Bob Krist???
I have spent a lot of time dealing with Nikon both on the semiconductor side and the photo side.  Their corporate culture is very much a "if we don't think of it, you don't need it".  They are really bad at responding to customer requests.

Probably the best company in the photo equipment industry for being responsive to customer requests is Fuji.

And that will be there down fall.
-------------------------------------
http://www.coreyhayes.net

by DChan on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:52 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Coreyhkh wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:

And that will be there down fall.
If only things are that simple:

Does Nikon Have a Future?

"Short answer: sure."

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:37 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jamie Strickland wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Did the mod today.  It definitely gets rid of the lens flex.  I had a little trouble getting one of the screws recessed properly but reworking the installation a couple of times with just small increments of tightening the screws in all four corners eventually got it seated properly.  It is a much more reassuring mount since the bayonet is now metal, not plastic.

Do you notice any light leak? I just read this comment on amazon and wondering if this worth worrying about or not http://www.amazon.com/The-TOUGH-E-Mount ... nk20349-20
The whole light leak thing with Sony is mostly an internet overhyped non-issue and those that like to create issues where there are none have been harping about Sony light leaks since the beginning.  It is mostly perpetuated by A-mount loyalists that absolutely hate that Sony has gone to the E-mount..  You could induce a light leak if you use the camera for ISO 25,000 or higher in total darkness and then shined a high intensity light right at the mount for more than 30 seconds.  Not exactly a real photography situation.  Under those circumstances, many other cameras also leak.

The reviewer that induced a light leak probably didn't secure the mount properly.  It's actually a bit harder to properly tighten down that ring.  It took me three tries before I had it secured perfectly planar.

That said, I photographed in the dark with long exposures this week wit no problems at all.

by dougc on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:14 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
Might be a foolish question but after reading the first couple of paragraphs, wouldn't it have been simpler and far less expensive to buy a dedicated video camera???

by Andy Trowbridge on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:45 am
Andy Trowbridge
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote:Might be a foolish question but after reading the first couple of paragraphs, wouldn't it have been simpler and far less expensive to buy a dedicated video camera???
I was thinking the same thing
All comments & suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Andy Trowbridge http://www.andytrowbridge.com 
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/AndyTrowbridgePhotography

by Jamie Strickland on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:53 am
Jamie Strickland
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Jamie Strickland wrote:

The whole light leak thing with Sony is mostly an internet overhyped non-issue and those that like to create issues where there are none have been harping about Sony light leaks since the beginning.  It is mostly perpetuated by A-mount loyalists that absolutely hate that Sony has gone to the E-mount..  You could induce a light leak if you se the camera for ISO 25,000 or higher in total darkness and then shined a high intensity light right at the mount for more than 30 seconds.  Not exactly a real photography situation.  Under those circumstances, many other cameras also leak.

The reviewer that induced a light leak probably didn't secure the mount properly.  It's actually a bit harder to properly tighten down that ring.  It took me three tries before I had it secured perfectly planar.

That said, I photographed in the dark with long exposures this week wit no problems at all.
Tks EJ thats what i was excpecting , ordering it now

14 posts |