All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Glenn NK on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:05 pm
Glenn NK
Lifetime Member
Member #:01120
On this thread from 1 1/2 years ago, it was not clear which version of the lens the OP was using:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... r#p2180555

In any event, the following statement was made:
vbpholaw wrote:One should also note that shooting with a 2x converter on a zoom lens, even a high quality one such as the 70-200/2.8, and shooting wide open, is not going to result in the best optical quality (assuming it's not the v.II 70-200, that makes shooting with the converter even more problematical).
This statement suggests that the 2X converter is particularly problematic with the newest version of the lens (Mark ii) - or am I misinterpreting something?

I presently have the 2X iii converter and was considering acquiring the Mark ii lens.  I presently have the first version of the lens, and with the extender the results are not sharp at all.  (Both versions of the f/2.8 lenses have IS.)

Any comments/thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
All he is saying is that when you add a teleconverter to a lens, especially a zoom lens, there are some optical compromises. However, if you are going to add a 2x converter to a zoom lens, there is no better combination than the 70-200 II and the 2x III. I would recommend stopping down a bit to maximize the image quality though. The image quality is not going to be nearly as good though as with no TC and moving closer or even as it would be with a 1.4x.

by Glenn NK on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:46 am
Glenn NK
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the quick and knowledgeable answer:

I'm aware of the issues with an extender, particularly with the 2x, but the post seemed to imply that the Mark II lens was even worse than the Mark I with an extender. I am selling the Mark I and was looking seriously into the Mark II lens version.

I'll take my converter to the camera shop and try it first (they are very accommodating in this respect - the advantage of a brick and mortar store with a good stock).

Glenn

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
That hasn't been my experience in calibrating and testing several dozen 70-200 II with 2x III - it is miles better than the equivalent Nikon combo and measurably better than the old 70-200 with 2x II.

If the combo isn't sharp, I'd venture to guess that it wasn't properly focus calibrated with the camera.

by Glenn NK on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:21 pm
Glenn NK
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the additional info - the lens is sold - now must decide what course to follow to achieve at least 400 mm FL. My son uses the 100/400 on his 6D with reasonably good results, however I don't like the push/pull zoom feature.

Not many really good options that don't require selling an important organ it seems.

G

by Markus Jais on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:02 am
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
Member #:01791
I tested that combo once and I really liked it (70-200 II + 2x II). Great zoom range for  animals that aren't too far away.

Arthur Morris also used this combination quite a lot from what I got from this blog.

A 2x is always a compromise but at least the latest Canon 2x III is awesome. I've tested it on the 4/200-400 1.4x (which is about as sharp as the 2.8/70-200 II) and it worked quite well (internal 1.4x turned off). Of course you loose some sharpness but definitely usable.

As E.J. already wrote, if correctly calibrated the 2.8/70-200L IS II + EF 2.x III should give you very good results. I would prefer that combo over my former 100-400L IS any time. If Canon ever introduces a new 100-400 remains to be seen. That might be another option but nobody knows when it will be announced (or if).

For reaching 400: The 4/300L + 1.4x III is a nice combination and yields very sharp results. Also great for larger insects, flowers, etc. Very light and very affordable.
The closest focusing distance is very good with that combination. At 300mm you get a magnification ratio of 0.24 and even better with the 1.4x. 

The 200-400 is unfortunately very expensive (and heavy with 3.6kg). So don't test it or you will want one :-)
That lens is a marvel. Extremely close to the top Canon primes like 4/600 II and still very, very good with internal 1.4x and definitely usable (better than cropping) with both internal 1.4x and external 1.4x III.
It has completely changed my way of shooting and I also use it more and more for landscape and flowers.

Markus

by Glenn NK on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:15 am
Glenn NK
Lifetime Member
Thanks Markus (and another to E.J.):

Sounds encouraging. The local shop phoned me this afternoon - they just received two new Mark II lenses - I'll be testing them with the 2X (hopefully this week).

Glenn

7 posts |