Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by absu on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:45 am
absu
Forum Contributor
 I do not have very strong faith on DXO mark ratings  on new camera or lens, I always take them as indicative only. Now this recent revelation of DXO mark sensor rating is worth watching. They rate D810 sensor in overall best , fine. But how same sensor of D800& D800E got different marks in ISO performance (D800E is better). I think this presence of AA filter shouldn't degrade ISO even if i accept it how could the D810 sensor without OLPF got less marks in ISO.  Does they test sensor on output then lot of things will come into consideration. I thought they check sensor itself rather that output basis. expert may please put some light.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/07/24/nikon-d810-sensor-new-dxomark-leader.aspx/#more-78504
Anirban Basu

"Beauty is simply reality seen with the eyes of love" 
— Rabindranath Tagore

Email: anirbanbasu0606@gmail.com

by Karl Günter Wünsch on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:12 am
Karl Günter Wünsch
Forum Contributor
The do not check the sensor, they check the RAW files (and don't account for any processing applied to the file before it is written) - and any things that are changed in that file format screws up their metric...
This time I have heard of changes to the RAW files in the D810 where they - for the first time since they came out with a DSLR IIRC - have not clipped the black level but operate with a proper offset of the black level. The lower ISO rating of the D810 for me only proves that all the previous Nikon camera ratings in this regard were overinflated because DxO failed to account for the effect of the black level clipping.
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

2 posts |