Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:05 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor

Problem:  When attached to my new 80-400, my TC14E II requires +20 increments (the entire range), and then it is not sharp.  I estimate it would require at least 4 more "+" increments to be sharp. So, I have resigned myself to not use it. 

Background:  When I moved to buy a 80-400, I bought two of them with the objective of testing them together.  At that time the TC14E II was VERY sharp on one of the 80-400's, and I was elated. 

After the testing, I finally settled on the first lens (returning the second lens, which required about +15 increments to fine tune), because the first one (call it #1) turned out to be very sharp (by itself) and it "zeroed out" at -+0 increments.  Dead center.   

When I made my choice between the two 80-400's, I also thought that #1 was the 80-400 that was very sharp with the TC14E II.   But, as I said above, the 80-400/TC14E II combo I now have is not even acceptably sharp.  Whereas, when I first tested it, I was VERY impressed with how sharp the 80-400/TC14E II combo was.  I am back to confused and again irked with Nikon.

1.  Could I have mistakenly switched the lenses during the testing, and #2 lens (returned to B and H) was actually the one that was VERY sharp with the TC14 II?

2.  What do you suggest I do to attain a sharp 80-400/TC14E II combo?  I own this80-400; it is sharp and I really enjoy it. But as I said, unless there is another solution, I am resolved to simplynot use the TC14E II with it. 

Robert King

by Dave Courtenay on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:25 am
Dave Courtenay
Forum Contributor
Maybe best to book it into Nikon and let them recalibrate the lens and 1.4x
http://www.wildlifeinfocus.com

A Brit-A Broad

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:03 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
First off, a 1.4x on an f/5.6 zoom is never going to give you great image quality. It is not uncommon to have some combinations not fall within the calibratable range. The best youc an do, short of sending the combo to nikon is to set it at the maximum and stop down a bit. It's always been a good idea to stop down when using a TC and in the past it was worse because we couldn't calibrate and had to deal with these poor focus combos. The Nikon 500 f/4 VR with the 1.4x II is a notorious combination with fully 40% of the over 100 combos like this I have calibrated falling outside of the calibratable range. However, my 1.4x and 80-400 do fall well within the calibratable range on both my cameras but I would never use it except in an emergency.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:22 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Ok E.J., and thanks

I just repeatedly shot it at f11 and the results are ok…."boring", but acceptable.  I will not plan on using it except in unusual situations.

BTW:
I do like this new 80-400 lens a lot.  It is sharp and it covers so many situations.  I have it set up on a D610 and the combo is just what I want; i.e. I can work with this :).

Initially, this D610 was not on my radar; but now, I love it!  24 mpx is just right for me (cropping for the net!), and clean right out to 3200!  It is quiet with a 6 fps speed with a 15 shot buffer (14bit RAW).  That will keep me happy for a long time.  

robert king
itsaboutnature.net

4 posts |