All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 32 posts | 
by mlgray12 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:30 am
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
I am a typical Wildlife Photographer that shots big heavy glass, so I have done very little real research on lightweight systems - but I am getting older and may need that somewhere down the line but by that time everything will have changed big time - been at it a while and started with Kodachrome 64 and manual focus lens!!! My real interest here is helping a friend that is having trouble shooting with her Canon 35mm body and 100-400 lens. I know a little about new Sony mirror-less cameras - so I was wondering what anyone here that has tested this gear would recommend for someone that needs to really shed weight and still be able to shoot birds - really their only interest (I think)
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:23 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The Sony mirrorless cameras do not have an autofocus system that is capable of doing a credible job with birds. Of the mirrorless cameras, the only ones that you might have consistent success with would be the Olympus OM-D E-M1 or the Nikon 1 V series cameras. But even with that, don't expect to get great in flight shots.

by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:34 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I know this one local photographer and he regularly walks around with a Nikon D7100 and Nikon 70-300 lens. Very portable and with the 2x crop option on the D7100 he does not lack for reach at all. From what Inhave seen of his photos, they are excellent and he nails AF in situations where I think my Canon 40D would struggle. He also has the Nikon 500 and the D3x if I recall. But mostly he walks around with the much smaller and lighter setup. I am very impressed with the quality and reach of the D7100.

by Steven Major on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:46 am
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
I to am hopeful that the newer lighter FF equipment will be less of a burden on my limited use back, and have decided my next body will have an articulated rear screen for the same reason. Unfortunately, these products are to new to have the history of performance I need to make a comfortable decision. Because we have seen high end products rushed to the market with serious problems (like the Nikon D600 self soiling sensor), I will wait.

by bradipock on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:03 pm
bradipock
Forum Contributor
My 500 is for sale for this reason- tired of carrying around the weight. My go-to kit will be my 70d and Tamron's new 150-600. Given that I shoot at f/8 most of the time, I'm really not losing that much. That's my opinion anyway.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:15 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
bradipock wrote:My 500 is for sale for this reason- tired of carrying around the weight.  My go-to kit will be my 70d and Tamron's new 150-600.  Given that I shoot at f/8 most of the time, I'm really not losing that much.  That's my opinion anyway.
That is certainly a viable option especially if the lens is pretty good at least out to 500.  An even better option for the OP, assuming that this isn't too heavy would be a D7100 and the 150-600 due to the D7100's 15 megapixel 1.95x crop mode and 25 megapixel 1.5x crop mode.  But it may be too heavy since he is looking at mirrorless.

Perhaps something like the Olympus OM-D E-M1 and their 100-300 lens which gives you the field of view of 200-600mm in full frame terms.

by MarcG19 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:19 pm
MarcG19
Forum Contributor
Moderate skill amateur birder here. I'm an EM-1 owner who also uses a 7D.

If you're looking for BIF, a DSLR's still the only game in town IMO. Perhaps a good APS-C body with moderate lenses (300 f/4, 400 f/5.6 etc.) might work?

Alternately, if static bird shots are OK, the Olympus EM-1 with any of the 4/3 lenses will likely work well (I only say likely based on projections, I am going to try to get out and use it for birds tomorrow). Or, if you want, any micro-4/3 with either a 40-150 f4-5.6 or the 100-300 f/4.5-5.6. The latter is a very light kit, though from what I've heard (confirmed by my limited use)n you need good technique to get the best out of it. Note that as you go down in body style the ability to quickly adjust settings and focus speed drop. Also note that only the high end m4/3 bodies and lenses are weather sealed.

I'm not aware of any native telephotos for Sony NEX in the range most birders use. One could adapt others lenses, if you manual focus is OK.

Note that with any of these mirrorless cameras you will have shutter lag - again less so for the EM-1, more so as you go toward cheaper/older bodies . That has annoyed some people.

by DChan on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:50 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
MarcG19 wrote:Moderate skill amateur birder here.  I'm an EM-1 owner who also uses a 7D.

If you're looking for BIF, a DSLR's still the only game in town IMO.   Perhaps a good APS-C body with moderate lenses (300 f/4, 400 f/5.6 etc.) might work?

Alternately, if static bird shots are OK, the Olympus EM-1 with any of the 4/3 lenses will likely work well (I only say likely based on projections, I am going to try to get out and use it for birds tomorrow). 
Oh, more than likely that it will work for perching birds (the bigger the easier obviously). Larger birds also don't fly as fast and so with good timing and fast shutter speed the EM-1 may actually work even for BIF shots when needed. On another forum one guy quite often posts his bird shots using a Canon 400f5.6 on a E-M5. So, it's doable.

E-M5 + Nikon 300f4 handheld:

by Steve Cirone on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:04 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Suggestions for lighter BIF rigs, and I demo these all the time on tours:

Canon: 400mm f 5.6 lens plus the Canon 5D Mark III, no tripod or head.

Nikon: 300mm f 4 lens plus the Nikon D 800, no tripod or head.

Both lenses are relatively petite, as are the cameras.  Both rigs reasonably capable with birds in flight.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by DChan on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:28 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Steve Cirone wrote:Suggestions for lighter BIF rigs, and I demo these all the time on tours:

Both lenses are relatively petite, as are the cameras.  Both rigs reasonably capable with birds in flight.
All fine suggestions. But it says in the original post that (emphasis added):
My real interest here is helping a friend that is having trouble shooting with her Canon 35mm body and 100-400 lens.

by mlgray12 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:50 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Thanks everyone - based on this it looks like it still is a ways off - I was hoping that the new Sony's may have gotten good enough for bird photography because the person I was hoping to help needs something lighter than a 40D w/ a 100-400 setup
Michael L. Gray

by Gary Briney on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:09 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
You might consider a photo trap at a feeder setup which should get some good pics without carrying the camera & lens around. Here's a good example.
G. Briney

by mlgray12 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:34 am
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Gary Briney wrote:You might consider a photo trap at a feeder setup which should get some good pics without carrying the camera & lens around. Here's a good example.
Thanks - but person I am trying to help is also technically challenged - and shoots birds for increasing her bird photo list - not a serious photographer - so using my buddy Alan's photo trap set-up is something I would try but this is way over this person's head - now they would love for me to set it up and just come and shoot!!!!
Michael L. Gray

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:35 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Then maybe one of the superzoom compacts might be a better choice.

by Steve Cirone on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:03 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
I have shot the Sonys with clients and they aren't much good for birds, and, unfortunately the viewfinders are terrible.

Likely she is shooting with a huge tripod and head which can triple her rig weight. The main thing is to get her going handheld.

Since she is already Canon, the 5D Mark III is one great choice camera. Stick a 400mm f 5.6 on it and she is all set. This is actually a lightweight rig many folks here in their 70's and 80's use regularly, no tripod of course.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by mlgray12 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:11 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Then maybe one of the superzoom compacts might be a better choice.
That is what they started with several years ago - the technology has really improved - my wife has an old Nikon that is passable- she uses it more for documentation or snap shots - something I really need to update for her. I guess until Sony (or someone else) makes another step change their mirror less cameras - this is probably best route. Anyone of these superzoom compacts that really standout now!!! Like I said Cecilia has an old Nikon that has been left in dust my the newer models!!
Michael L. Gray

by rnclark on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:52 pm
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a much smaller and lighter DSLR, like a T3i, T4i, T5i. These camera bodies are similar in size to the superzoom and the mirrorless cameras (at least narrowing the difference) and still have good phase detect AF. Couple that with a good zoom, the 300 f/4, or 400 f/5.6 and it is much lighter than the 100-400 +dslr.

Roger

by mlgray12 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:43 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Steve Cirone wrote:Suggestions for lighter BIF rigs, and I demo these all the time on tours:

Steve - she was basically shooting the 100-400 HH but it got to heavy for her - so as you  guessed she started using a tripod and was un-willing to get a nice lightweight one- I tried to get her to get a small Carbon fiber legs with something like Jobo Jr head - which I still think would have worked but she has a clunky bigger bogen with typical tilt pan head which really makes it worse. Probably could get her to spend money on new camera but for some reason not on a good tripod!!!
Michael L. Gray

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
rnclark wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned a much smaller and lighter DSLR, like a T3i, T4i, T5i.  These camera bodies are similar in size to the superzoom and the mirrorless cameras (at least narrowing the difference) and still have good phase detect AF.  Couple that with a good zoom, the 300 f/4, or 400 f/5.6 and it is much lighter than the 100-400 +dslr.

Roger
I would throw the Nikon D5300 into that mix as well.  If you crop it down to 15 megapixels a light 70-300 is essentially 140-600mm full frame equivalent coverage at 5FPS and no AA filter and built in WiFi.  From a bang for the buck perspective, I personally think the D5300 is the best DSLR value on the market currently.

by rnclark on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:02 pm
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
E.J. Peiker wrote:
rnclark wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned a much smaller and lighter DSLR, like a T3i, T4i, T5i.  These camera bodies are similar in size to the superzoom and the mirrorless cameras (at least narrowing the difference) and still have good phase detect AF.  Couple that with a good zoom, the 300 f/4, or 400 f/5.6 and it is much lighter than the 100-400 +dslr.

Roger

I would throw the Nikon D5300 into that mix as well.  If you crop it down to 15 megapixels a light 70-300 is essentially 140-600mm full frame equivalent coverage at 5FPS and no AA filter and built in WiFi.  From a bang for the buck perspective, I personally think the D5300 is the best DSLR value on the market currently.
Thanks EJ, I was hoping someone would step in with the Nikon equivalent.
Roger

32 posts |