All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 53 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Editing on an iPad still doesn't work so I had to rewrite the comment after the iPad botched me adding a line and I didn't realize it until a few minutes later.  Your pictures basically say exactly what I'm saying - a bit more room to carry the lens with gloves and a stronger bend so less flex.  Try carrying the 4th gen with heavy gloves.  I don't have big hands and it is not easy.  The extra 1/4 inch makes a big difference to me.  This is on the 500 Nikon.  Not saying anything about the 800 Canon.

by Maxis Gamez on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:13 pm
Maxis Gamez
Forum Contributor
:wink:
Maxis Gamez

by Greg Downing on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:50 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Thanks for posting the pics maxis - you can probably see how we made the nsn foot significantly stronger and we also increased clearance because most folks asked for it. I'm in Costa Rica hence the short response but more from me later :)

Thanks again!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Steve Metildi on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:54 am
Steve Metildi
Lifetime Member
Member #:00266
Here's a few photos of the NSN Foot on the Canon 600mm II.  I like that it rides about 1/4" lower than the RRS foot and still has adequate space for a handle as demonstrated by EJ.  I also like the increased rigidity over the 4th Generation Designs foot that I had used on other big telephotos.

Steve

by PF on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:47 am
PF
Forum Contributor
I'm wondering if there is a market for a version with the "new" Arca Swiss quick release, the SlideFix system? The main advantages of this system are smaller and lighter components.
PF
[url=http://www.p-f.ch]www.p-f.ch[/url]

by Doug Brown on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:29 am
Doug Brown
Forum Contributor
Member #:01836
Greg just sent me a replacement foot for the Canon 600mm II. I tested it with a 1Dx, the 600, and both the 1.4x and 2x on a Wimberley II head. No problems balancing the load. It feels good in the hand (more secure in the hand than the stock foot), which is important for me because I hand hold the vast majority of the time. I'm looking forward to testing it out during my upcoming Costa Rica workshop with Greg Basco.

by dolina on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 pm
dolina
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
No, you still aren't fully understanding the discussion ;)   There is a specific lens-foot for every super-tele lens including your 600 f/4.  You order the one for your lens when it becomes available.  As you can see in the pictures above, a nikon 500 f/4 with the specific plate for it, is illustrated.  Greg was simply asking for somebody with a 400/2.8 lens for testing the foot for that lens.
Ah! I was under the impression that NSN will follow 4th Gen and RRS and offer one SKU for the 400, 500 and 600.

To be honest I wish this were the case as having a lens foot too specific to a specific lens makes it difficult to transfer if ever you decide to upgrade.

Having one SKU also helps bring down manufacturing cost somewhat. As it stands I cannot just transfer any of my foots on my 200/300/400/500/800 to each other.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

by dolina on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:56 pm
dolina
Forum Contributor
Doug Brown wrote:Greg just sent me a replacement foot for the Canon 600mm II.  I tested it with a 1Dx, the 600, and both the 1.4x and 2x on a Wimberley II head.  No problems balancing the load.  It feels good in the hand (more secure in the hand than the stock foot), which is important for me because I hand hold the vast majority of the time.  I'm looking forward to testing it out during my upcoming Costa Rica workshop with Greg Basco.
Doug,

Does the foot dig into the hand? Is it possible for you to photograph the NSN foot while your hand holds the foot as a handle and mounted onto the WH-200?

Also what tripod legs are you using with your 600mm IS II? I apologize for the side questions in advance. :)
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:02 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
dolina wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
No, you still aren't fully understanding the discussion ;)   There is a specific lens-foot for every super-tele lens including your 600 f/4.  You order the one for your lens when it becomes available.  As you can see in the pictures above, a nikon 500 f/4 with the specific plate for it, is illustrated.  Greg was simply asking for somebody with a 400/2.8 lens for testing the foot for that lens.
Ah! I was under the impression that NSN will follow 4th Gen and RRS and offer one SKU for the 400, 500 and 600.

To be honest I wish this were the case as having a lens foot too specific to a specific lens makes it difficult to transfer if ever you decide to upgrade.

Having one SKU also helps bring down manufacturing cost somewhat. As it stands I cannot just transfer any of my foots on my 200/300/400/500/800 to each other.
I didn't say that some lenses wouldn't use the same foot ;) but it isn't always possible since the mounts and sizes needed are sometimes different.  For example, the Nikon 200-400 and Nikon 500 foot are one and the same.  But you can't make one universal foot to fit all lenses and have a superior product, especially since the mounting screw spacing isn't the same nor are the balance requirements.  Hope that helps.

by hullyjr on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:51 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
Looks good but a few questions.  Does it come with the dual arca mount so that you can fasten accessories onto the foot?  I think it does judging from that first photo posted by EJ. What about the weight? Lastly, when not using gloves, is the foot comfortable to hold?  Some of the 3rd party Arca feet are unpleasantly sharp edged.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:27 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yes it has a double dove tail and it seems comfortable enough to carry with bare hands to me.

by Greg Downing on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Hey folks sorry for the quick replies from me but I will be back from the rain/cloud forest this weekend but I wanted to answer some questions:

Firstly - This has been a year-long project with multiple prototypes, micro-fitting, testing etc. and we feel that everything has been addressed. All models were painstakingly, engineered, designed and manufactured to the highest standards and tested to be, what we feel is, superior to all others on the market for various reasons.

Each does incorporate a double dovetail design to allow the use of third party flash brackets (Wimberely, RRS arca-style, etc.)  and should work with all arca QR systems including RRS lever-style clamps - they have a very slight texture to aid in durability and security when using with lever-style clamps. They have removable safety stop screws pre-installed. All models have a full 3/8" monopod mount as well - not a 1/4" like other models (though a 1/4" bushing could be used if you wanted 1/4" for some reason.)

Clearance has been considered for what people have asked for (the ability to carry the lenses with gloves etc. while sill much lower profile than the stock foot.) Strength is significantly better than some of the competitor's low-profile versions. Comfort for carrying has also been well thought out and is smooth and countered with no sharp edges; They ALL make great carrying handles with good clearance and rounded corners on top to be easy on the hands.

Here are some things to note on models, availability etc:

1. The foot my good friend Steve Metildi pictured above (which is a CLF-456) WILL fit 3 lenses; the new Canon 500/4-VII (see note in #2 below), the 400/2.8-VII and the 600/4-VII - hence the SKU of CLF-456

2. There is a second foot, CLF-580, which is also a lower profile option for the 500/4-vII - this foot was also designed to fit the 800/5.6 - hence the SKU of CLF-580 (personally if I had a 500/4II this is probably what I would choose.) It does not have the same sort of "i-beam" design as the CLF-456 so it is shorter and lighter, but balance should still not be an issue. Hands will still fit for carrying.

3. There is a dedicated foot for the Canon 300/2.8II which is the CLF-300 - it only fits the 300/2.8 II (at least so far as we know...)

There are two Nikon feet as well;

1. NLF-460 which will fit the Nikon 600VR, 400VR as well as the new Nikon 800VR (which was just verified today with an actual copy of the new 800.)
2. NLF-250 which will fit the Nikon 200-400VR (both versions), the Nikon 500VR and the Nikon 300VR (EJ pictured this one above on the 500VR.)

*AVAILABILITY:

The two Nikon models (NLF-460 and NLF-250) will be readily available for retail and wholesale market by the end of next week.

The Canon CLF-580 will also be readily available for retail and wholesale market by the end of next week.

The Canon CLF-456 and CLF-300 will both be ready for retail and wholesale market around late March - we DO however have just few to sell NOW so please contact me immediately if you want to purchase one - first-come-first served. We will also take pre-orders for these in the meantime (on a first-come first-served basis) once all these are officially announced and in the NSN store sometime next week.

Pricing will be also be announced with the rest of the details, pics, compatibility charts etc. etc. at the end of next week, but will be in-line with competitors.
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Robert Doiron on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:08 pm
Robert Doiron
Lifetime Member
Member #:01436
I have a question regarding the forthcoming replacement foot model CLF-580. Why not compatible with the new Canon 600mm/f4 II lens?
Robert Doiron
http://www.pbase.com/robertdoiron

by Greg Downing on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:18 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Robert the diameter of the 600 is much larger so it requires a different design in order to be able to mount the hood in the reverse position. The design is as shown above in the prototype by Steve Metildi - one note is the design that Steve shows will fit the 500/4, 400/2.8, 600/4, and likely even the 800 but it sits higher and has an extended back end (which allows for better balancing with heavy cameras and teleconverters.)
Greg Downing

by Robert Doiron on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:42 pm
Robert Doiron
Lifetime Member
Thanks Greg. I am wondering how the forthcoming CLF-456 lens foot will compare to the 4th Generation Designs CRX-5 Lens Foot. Has anybody tried out this 4th Generation foot on the new Canon 600mm II?
Robert Doiron

by godfather on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:15 pm
godfather
Forum Contributor
Robert - the 4th generation foot is a lot lower vs the RRS and NS foot as far as I can tell.

Greg - From your response above it sounds like the CLF-580 will not not have an I beam design. Does this mean the Arca QR "plate" does not extend under the foot mount (think RRS 500 foot gen I)? Currently with extenders the balance point on my 1dx / 500 II is almost directly below the foot mount... Also do you have any weight specs on the CLF-580?

by Greg Downing on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:34 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
No the CLF-580 it does not have an ibeam design - it's stronger than the 4GD foot for the 800 (and that's really what it's designed for primarily, though it also fits the 500 and balances fine with lighter cameras like a 7D, etc. and especially when using a full wimberley head with a longer clamp. 

The CLF-456 would be the best choice for the new 500 with a heavier pro body and tele-convertors, especially if you're using a side-mount head. 

I have not tried the two-piece design CRX-5 yet so I can't say whether or not it has the typical bit of flex that the other 4GD feet seem to have or if the mechanical connection between the two pieces has any danger of play or coming loose with the twisting action that is applied when used in a side-mount head.
Greg Downing

by rfridell on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 pm
rfridell
Forum Contributor
Any update on when the NLF-250 will be available?
Rick Fridell
@rickfridell https://www.instagram.com/rickfridell/

by Greg Downing on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:48 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
NLF-250 is available on Monday with a phone call to the office (410-239-8025) and will be "in stores" (NSN, B&H etc.) by March 15 - I have a couple hundred sitting on my desk waiting for me to package :)

So call us and we can send you one right away!
Greg Downing

by Robert Doiron on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:14 pm
Robert Doiron
Lifetime Member
What about the CLF-580 and CLF-456? When available for purchase?
Robert Doiron

53 posts |