Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 71 posts | 
by LouBuonomo on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:17 am
LouBuonomo
Forum Contributor
I see no reason to upgrade my 1Dx also.. Now I probably will rent a 1Dx2 for big trips.
[url=http://www.nwpli.com]NWPLI Member[/url] http://www.westhighland-imaging.com - Member of NANPA
NSN #353

by Neilyb on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:51 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Having also seen some of the high ISO examples on Canon Japan site I will be sticking with my 1Dx, unless it stops working when the new one is released, but that never happens.

by MalcolmBenn on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:00 pm
MalcolmBenn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:I think all new technologies have a trajectory.  When calculators first came out I had an hp 45.  Then I up graded and upgraded.  Right now, the calculator I bought 20 years ago really does all I want.  An example of this is the hp-12c.
Yup, I still use the HP-15C I bought while I was a Sr. in college in 1982 - 34 years ago - ouch!  It is the best engineering calculator ever made (like the 12C is the best financial calculator ever) and has not been surpassed to this day.  I used it through the remainder of college, 27 years in the semiconductor technology field, and all of the years since.  It needs new batteries maybe every three years.  Sure there are some with more capability - capability that maybe 0.0001% of the world's population would ever tap.
lol, I still have and use the HP12C I bought at 47th Street Photo in 1981 or 1982, an amazing calculator as long as you can get your head around RPN. I think that batteries are well over a decade old :)
Malcolm Benn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357466@N03/

by Primus on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:45 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Wildflower-nut wrote:I think all new technologies have a trajectory.  When calculators first came out I had an hp 45.  Then I up graded and upgraded.  Right now, the calculator I bought 20 years ago really does all I want.  An example of this is the hp-12c.

Early on, one needed to upgrade with each new body.  The technology is now more mature. The cameras have become so good that improvements are going to be more incremental than life changing. Many improvements will be technically demonstrable but less and less visually seen in the final product.  Eventually this may mean that we can skip a generation w/o feeling deprived.

This is a general comment and not specifically about the 1DX II
True, some technologies even though evolving, are pretty much static in what they deliver. 

In your own example, a calculator from the 80s is going to give you the same results (which is what counts) as one you buy today. The new unit may have solar batteries, a better keyboard, brighter display, but essentially cannot change or improve upon the mathematical logic built into it since that is defined by fundamental laws.

OTOH, a modern camera even though working on the same principles as from 2001 can deliver a much better image, cleaner, sharper with better resolution. Not only that, the process of making that image has improved tremendously. 

Some technologies are worth pursuing as they evolve, others perhaps not as much.

Pradeep

by Greg Downing on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:56 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
LouBuonomo wrote:I see no reason to upgrade my 1Dx also.. Now I probably will rent a 1Dx2 for big trips.
IMO renting one for a big trip would be a waste of money unless you're into a lot of video and even then there are other cameras just as capable for much less money. What would you gain over your 1DX? I have no reason to upgrade to this new camera at this time either. It's a yawn for me and I am generally a generation behind for a time anyway because I believe it to be a smarter move financially for most people, especially for us making a living with photography. The 1DX is not perfect by any means but it's more than adequate for my needs at least for a while.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Dan Wolin on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:18 pm
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
I used to upgrade when the new ones came out but I agree it is not really necessary at this point (in most cases) and hard to justify financially. I still use a 1d IV which I bought right when the 1Dx came out. Saved a lot of money. I have used a 1dx and was really impressed with it (great wedding camera). I can see myself picking up a used one along with a 7d2 for birding for less than a 1dx II. In the end all of these cameras are pretty amazing at this point for most applications. .
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by RLK on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:06 pm
RLK
Forum Contributor
Member #:01370
I never seem to get rid of my camera bodies ( I have a virtual museum dating back to the EOS 1NRS film body with the pellicle mirror). I just buy newer models when one comes along that suits my needs. My main work horse had been the 1D4 until the 7D2 came along. Since I bought that one I basically haven't touched the 1D4. I didn't purchase the 1DX because I am more in need of a crop sensor body. However I have placed an order for the 1DXII because I am getting a little more into video and the 120 fps feature intrigues me.

By the way if anyone is in need of a 7D, 1D Mark III, 5D2 or a great 500mm f4L IS version I contact me. I am moving and have decided I have more stuff than I need!
Bob
Bob Kothenbeutel
Website (under construction) www.rlkimages.photoshelter.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
RLK wrote:I have placed an order for the 1DXII because I am getting a little more into video and the 120 fps feature intrigues me.
If video and 120FPS HD is the reason for purchasing, you could save yourself almost $3000 and buy a Sony a7s and a Metabones 4 adapter for your Canon lenses.  It's a camera designed for video but still an exceptional stills camera, has insane high ISO capabilities, weighs a ton less, and can use just about any lens ever made.

by RLK on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:40 pm
RLK
Forum Contributor
Member #:01370
E.J. Peiker wrote:
RLK wrote:I have placed an order for the 1DXII because I am getting a little more into video and the 120 fps feature intrigues me.
If video and 120FPS HD is the reason for purchasing, you could save yourself almost $3000 and buy a Sony a7s and a Metabones 4 adapter for your Canon lenses.  It's a camera designed for video but still an exceptional stills camera, has insane high ISO capabilities, weighs a ton less, and can use just about any lens ever made.
Thanks E.J. I'll check into that. Video is not the only reason for me purchasing the 1DXII however.
Bob
Bob Kothenbeutel
Website (under construction) www.rlkimages.photoshelter.com

by LouBuonomo on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:28 am
LouBuonomo
Forum Contributor
Greg Downing wrote:
LouBuonomo wrote:I see no reason to upgrade my 1Dx also.. Now I probably will rent a 1Dx2 for big trips.
IMO renting one for a big trip would be a waste of money unless you're into a lot of video and even then there are other cameras just as capable for much less money. What would you gain over your 1DX? I have no reason to upgrade to this new camera at this time either. It's a yawn for me and I am generally a generation behind for a time anyway because I believe it to be a smarter move financially for most people, especially for us making a living with photography. The 1DX is not perfect by any means but it's more than adequate for my needs at least for a while.

Greg it would be for a second body.........not instead of.
[url=http://www.nwpli.com]NWPLI Member[/url] http://www.westhighland-imaging.com - Member of NANPA
NSN #353

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:11 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
RLK wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Thanks E.J. I'll check into that. Video is not the only reason for me purchasing the 1DXII however.
Bob
Also, if you are considering this camera for video, the 1Dx is limited to 12800 ISO in 4K mode and it will not output 4K to an external recorder.  It is clearly designed for a news shooter that may need to get a quick video clip, not a movie making tool.

71 posts |