Lower 50 Falls

Posted by Wade Thorson on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:44 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
I love shooting waterfalls, and this area is a veritable Shangri-La, replete with countless compositions. Fifty Foot Falls, Havasupai Indian Reservation.

See it larger here:  Lower 50 Falls

K3 15mm f20 .4s iso100

Thanks for looking, and any comments!

Wade
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

Posted by:
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A tough exposure situation. A cool spot. I think working this a bit more so that the whites aren't as muddy and opening up the shadows a hair more could take this to the next level

by Wade Thorson on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:06 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:A tough exposure situation.  A cool spot.  I think working this a bit more so that the whites aren't as muddy and opening up the shadows a hair more could take this to the next level

Thanks EJ.  That's what I thought initially when I uploaded the image to NSN from Smugmug.  I then cancelled and went back to brighten it up, and posted the image you saw here.  It didn't seem to match what I see in Lightroom, or Smugmug, it looks darker for some reason. I think the blue green color of the water clashes a bit with the white background of NSN, as it looks better in the shadowbox. 

Last edited by Wade Thorson on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Gary Briney on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:01 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Terrific shot -- like EJ I think a bit of judicious processing could really make this sing. I would try variations on highlight / shadow contrast...
G. Briney

by elauer on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:00 pm
elauer
Forum Contributor
This does look like a Shangri-la and you captured that well. I have the same experience with darker images on NSN.

by Wade Thorson on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:21 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
Thanks elauer. Please see the link to the larger version, as it is the version that best matches what was processed in Lightroom. I have contacted the mods about this issue of what I consider a color space issue of an image posted from an external link. We'll see what they come up with.

by Greg Downing on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:44 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
FYI the image that is showing in the main window should be the untouched unaltered image directly copied from the link you initially pointed to. It's the same as if you were to upload directly and is simply copied to our server. If there is a profile issue it could be browser related. FWIW they both look identical to me in terms of color, contrast etc. Which could mean it's a browser issue. Unfortunately our developer is on vacation through next week so he cannot comment directly at this moment but I am pretty sure that the image displayed in the main window is not changed in any way EXCEPT when presented in the shadow box when it is scaled. Very true that the adjacent background could effect one's perception of color/contrast/brightness.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Wade Thorson on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:08 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
Thanks Greg.  For a comparison here's a repost, uploaded directly to the server. 

by John Labrenz on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:22 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Nice one Wade.
Seems to be overexposed by a bit on my monitor though...

9 posts |