Orion's Sword

Posted by crw816 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 300f2.8is II, Canon 1.4x TC III, f4, ISO 1600, 30 seconds, Cropped to 25% of Frame, 14 exposures aligned manually with PS and final edits with PS and LR.  Tracking with sky-watcher mount. 

Please view in shadowbox. 

This is my first foray into astrophotography.  I have been inspired by the night sky for years but never seriously photographed it.  Due to life circumstances I have almost no time right now to get out during daylight hours with my camera, but most nights I have a chance to get out.  This "scheduling" pushed me into astro.  My wife gave me a sky-tracker equatorial mount for Christmas and after waiting three weeks for clear and moonless skies I was finally rewarded. 

The challenges of shooting at night (polar alignment, focusing, five below zero temps) along with editing these types of images are all new and welcome challenges for me.  This is one of my first subjects.  Predominantly displayed here are Messier 42 and 43 nebulas.  These emission nebulas glow red due to the excitement of hydrogen gas by young energetic stars.  These two nebulas are estimated to be 1,350 lightyears away and 24 light years across.  In the upper part of the image is NGC 1977, a reflection nebula commonly known as the Running Man Nebula.  The blue color is reflected starlight scattered by dust. (Information found on Jerry Lodriguss CD "Astrophotographer's Guide to the Deep Sky... A WEALTH of knowledge for anyone interested in astrophotography...)

These are found in the sword in the constellation of Orion the Hunter.  I have barely begun to scratch the surface here, and I am completely amazed at the beauty hidden within the darkness of space.  I have no idea whether my rendition preserves the fidelity of the scene, however I did the best I could with my extremely limited editing skills to bring this scene to life.  (My attempts to make the BG less black were unsuccessful)
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

Posted by:
crw816
Forum Contributor

by ChrisRoss on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:00 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
very nice first attempt, there will be lots of arguments about what the true colours are, it looks green through a large telescope as the human dark adapted eye is not sensitive to red light from hydrogen emission but peaks in sensitivity around 580nm where the light from twice ionised oxygen lies. You should be able to use the auto align feature in PS, but it will fall down if there is too much field rotation.

There are a few freeware programs which will stack images for you even just align them. I have used deepsky stacker, but it may have difficulties with newer raw files and you need to take flats as it doesn't access the lens correction data ACR has. Alternately you can feed it tiffs or will produce aligned tiffs to import into PS if you prefer. Roger will tell you that using your lens wide open has the advantage of getting more light, the 300 f2.8 should be sharp enough wide open and you can use lens corrections or flats to remove vignetting.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by DarrenMcKenna on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:57 am
DarrenMcKenna
Forum Contributor
Impressive Chris, I've always wanted to try night images but never had the gumption to get in to it. With shots like this it inspirational. Several years ago a member here had a great tutorial on night sky photography, of course I can't remember who it was.
[color=#BFBFBF][b][url=http://darrenmckenna.com/]darrenmckenna.com[/url][/b][/color]

by crw816 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:39 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
ChrisRoss wrote:very nice first attempt, there will be lots of arguments about what the true colours are, it looks green through a large telescope as the human dark adapted eye is not sensitive to red light from hydrogen emission but peaks in sensitivity around 580nm where the light from twice ionised oxygen lies.  You should be able to use the auto align feature in PS, but it will fall down if there is too much field rotation.  

There are a few freeware programs which will stack images for you even just align them.  I have used deepsky stacker, but it may have difficulties with newer raw files and you need to take flats as it doesn't access the lens correction data ACR has.  Alternately you can feed it tiffs or will produce aligned tiffs to import into PS if you prefer.  Roger will tell you that using your lens wide open has the advantage of getting more light, the 300 f2.8 should be sharp enough wide open and you can use lens corrections or flats to remove vignetting.

Thanks Chris.  I'll take a look into some of these programs.  I did order a copy of ImagesPlus.  Not free, but looks like a complete package with a ton of ability (and relatively simple user interface I hope?).

Fortunately, I didn't have any field rotation so alignment was simple, but with this first experience I am figuring out the benefits of more and more exposures with regards to signal to noise, and it becomes quite labor intensive... so a program that does it all (or most) would be a great find.  
Chris White

by crw816 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:41 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
DarrenMcKenna wrote:Impressive Chris, I've always wanted to try night images but never had the gumption to get in to it. With shots like this it inspirational. Several years ago a member here had a great tutorial on night sky photography, of course I can't remember who it was.
Thanks Darren!  I've found some great information on Roger Clark's website.  For pay Jerry Lodriguss has several cd books out that are just packed with info from depp sky targets to editing.  I'm hooked and I just got started!  Go try it!!
Chris White

by Gary Briney on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:36 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Gorgeous -- looking forward to your next effort!
G. Briney

by rnclark on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:27 pm
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Hello Chris,

This is a really beautiful image. Nicely done with a lot of fine detail. I'm also using a 7DII and 300 f/2.8 II for astrophotography and I find it is an amazing combination (great for birds and wildlife too). I like the color balance of your image, though I would make it a little bluer. The two "arms" that are gray-blue in your M42 appear bluer in most images. I have seen these portions of the nebula as pastel blue in 8 to 12-inch telescopes, with pastel pink in the center and greenish blue in the Trapezium.

For those interested (from the inquiry above), I have a series on night and astro photography, which is easier than ever with the new cameras with in sensor dark current suppression, and lens profiles to correct vignetting, e.g. in photoshop. See the multi-part series starting here:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/nightscapes/

Roger

by crw816 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:09 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
rnclark wrote:Hello Chris,

This is a really beautiful image.  Nicely done with a lot of fine detail.  I'm also using a 7DII and 300 f/2.8 II for astrophotography and I find it is an amazing combination (great for birds and wildlife too).  I like the color balance of your image, though I would make it a little bluer.  The two "arms" that are gray-blue in your M42 appear bluer in most images.  I have seen these portions of the nebula as pastel blue in 8 to 12-inch telescopes, with pastel pink in the center and greenish blue in the Trapezium.

For those interested (from the inquiry above), I have a series on night and astro photography, which is easier than ever with the new cameras with in sensor dark current suppression, and lens profiles to correct vignetting, e.g. in photoshop.  See the multi-part series starting here:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/nightscapes/

Roger
Thanks Roger!  I appreciate your comments.  And your site has a wealth of knowledge that you so graciously share with the world.  Your image of the horsehead nebula with the 7Dii really inspired me to take the leap into Astrophotography. 
Chris White

by jerryb on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:26 pm
jerryb
Forum Contributor
You can get all tied in in the proper representation of colors, But to my untrained eye, it sure is neat looking :)
Don't get me wrong, attention to detail is good.
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

by Wade Thorson on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:17 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
Spectacular first attempt. Knowing squat about what the colors are supposed to look like, they look great to me.
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by John Labrenz on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:54 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Double WOW!

by Peter Ireland on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:43 pm
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
Amazing capture considering this is your first.The colours are out of this world -:)

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:31 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Freaking awesome!

by Hikin Mike on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:35 pm
Hikin Mike
Forum Contributor
I never even tried, so you're one up on me. Great capture!
Mike Matenkosky
Images in the Backcountry | Facebook | Google+
"The heavens declare the glory of God; The skies proclaim the work of his hands" -Ps 19:1

by Carol Clarke on Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:51 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Stunning!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by alibenn on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:19 pm
alibenn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00341
Love it - in awe...
Alister Benn
Artist, Educator & Guide
Available Light Images Ltd.
Photography & Processing Workshops in Scotland, Spain, China & Tibet

by Marsel on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:22 am
Marsel
Forum Contributor
Totally cool - looks like some deep ocean jelly fish.
Marsel van Oosten | Squiver Photo Tours

www.squiver.com

by LouBuonomo on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:30 am
LouBuonomo
Forum Contributor
1st attempt.. Wow !
[url=http://www.nwpli.com]NWPLI Member[/url] http://www.westhighland-imaging.com - Member of NANPA
NSN #353

18 posts |